Flysky TH9X and IrangeX IRX4 4inn1 module

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
Piedro

Flysky TH9X and IrangeX IRX4 4inn1 module

Post by Piedro »

I would like to use a IrangeX IRX4 Plus multiprotocol module with a stock TH9X with AtMega128 processor.

As far as I know the module is accessible in serial mode after flashing the TH9X with the latest er9x firmware.
Is there access to the latest protocols like S-FHSS in serial mode in er9x and, to rule out any mistakes, which er9x build do I need?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Flysky TH9X and IrangeX IRX4 4inn1 module

Post by MikeB »

Go here: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598, and download "er9xProv822a.zip", and extract "er9x-128.hex", then flash that.

All protocols should be accessible, any added since the firmware was built may be accessed using the index number instead of a name.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Hi Mike, thanks for the very quick reply and all the work you put in for us!

Not sure what you mean yet with that indexnumber but I will probably find out after reading the manual. :)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

No you won't. The manual was written way before the multi module existed :)
In Er9x go to the Model Setup / protocols menu to select which protocol you want to use..
If Multi is selected, and the protocol is supported in Er9x, you will see the name. But if it is only supported by the multi module, you can still use it by selecting the corresponding number, normally after all the names.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Thanks a lot, got it...

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If he reads the multimodule manual then yes he will find it out ;)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think he was referring to the Er9x manual. I could be wrong, of course :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Any manual... :)

I re entered the hobby two summers ago surprised with all those cheap toyquads and micro heli's. Used to fly 3D planes with Graupner/JR 35 Mhz radios, took a break from the hobby around the time the first Spektrum 2,4 Ghz radios showed up.

Nowadays everything is hooked up to computers, we have informative youtube vids, great forums, and multiprotocol modules and radios.
Great times!

Started a bit on the er9x manual, smart things like PotScroll, StickScroll and CrossTrim....
Already enjoying er9x and I have to start flashing my radio yet. :)

Thanks for the support!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Wait until you find out about telemetry, rotary encoders, voice, haptic (vibration), etc :) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Read about the mods, love a rotary encoder, but I will probably be lazy and buy a QX7 before I do that.
Bought this TX to start with a year before the QX7 went on sale.
I understand OpenTX is based on Er9x so that would be my next step for telemetry, voice control, more channels etc....:)

Was happy to find out the later TH9X models have the AtMega 128 processor like the 9XR, so I can use a Er9x build with multiprotocol.
Last edited by Piedro on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't think you will find openTx any better on the 9X than er9x is. You will still only get 16 channels.
er9x supports telemetry and voice (provided you have a voice module installed) anyway.
ersky9x also runs on the QX7.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

I meant OpenTX as it comes with the QX7, interesting to know Ersky9X runs on Taranis too.
No direct need for telemetry or voice control so I will stick with the TH9X for now.

Read somewhere about problems with TH9X bootloader firmware version and latest OpenTX Companion so Er9x seemed to be the best choice with a multiprotocol module.
I have a TinyUSB at hand and USBASP as backup because some people report problems with the TinyUSB and a AtMega128 processor, the IRX4+ module is on its way from China.

It will be great to have serial multiprotocol access in a TX with better quality control then a Jumper or Irange TX for 35 bucks and some soldering and flashing! :)

Peter
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Needed to install a driver in Windows 10, USBtiny seems to work fine now, but.....

Tried to flash three times, connected directly to a free USB port on the PC with only eepe as a running program but I get the same error every time, Er9X seems to work fine but I don' t think this is right?

Screenshot attached:
Attachments
image.jpeg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That looks like a classic problem with the programmer/avrdude. The error is occuring at the 64K memory boundary. On the '128, when this boundary is crossed, an extra operation is needed to "switch memory banks". From the reported mismatch, it looks to me that the byte at location 0x00000 is being read for verification, not the byte at 0x10000, so the "bank switch" is not happening.

What version of avrDude are you using?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Bare with me....Second time flashing anything for me after the Bwhoop for Acro....

I don't know where to find the version number, i presume Avrdude was installed together with the eepe installer I downloaded from er9x.com ? Eepe is revision 421 foom Januari 24 2017.
I did overwrite the eepe.exe though with the latest exe from eepe.zip 25-1-2017...
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Opened avrdude.conf with notepad:

$id: avrdude.cconf.in 916 2010-01-15
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I just had a look round and the usbtiny is reported to have a problem verifying over 64K, but does program OK.

If er9x is running OK, then you almost certainly have it flashed OK, there is too much code above 64K that would cause it to fail badly if it wasn't flashed OK.

Do you have a FTDI device, or similar (USB to logic level serial converter)?

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Everything Er9x seems fine, and I like that little usb port on the left side of my TX but.....

I can connect the six wires to a USBasp though, is it possible to check this write over USBasp again with eepe, or does it only check after a new write?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It only does a verify after a write, but you may do a "Read firmware to file" operation to read the firmware, then look at the resulting .hex file. The usbtiny may have the same problem reading as it does verifying.

"Do you have a FTDI device, or similar (USB to logic level serial converter)?"

I'm asking because the '128 firmware inlcudes a serial bootloader that allows you to flash the radio without needing a programmer.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

it would be nice to have the bootloader also on the m2561 :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Nope, only USBasp and a STLink for flashing the whoops...
I could use the USBasp to read the current write and compare hex files but I'm pretty confident everything is fine now....

I can order this one for future use:
https://m.banggood.com/FTDI-Basic-FT232 ... mds=search

But as a noob I do not understand the meaning of writing without programmer?

FTDI is for reading only (?),but I can write 'through it' because of no need for a programmer???
The FTDI has a nice female micro USB (like the USBtiny), so if I can use that for reading and writing the firmware it would be great..... :)

Explored the well written Er9X manual today, great firmware, things like a sticky safety switch as throttle hold... :)
Programmed a BWhoop model file with expo, dual rates in PPM for the cheap NRF module I already have, everything works fine.....

Have to figure out how to program for a XK K110 before the IRX4+ module with S-FHSS arrives....

Peter
Last edited by Piedro on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

All these processore are capable of "self-programming", that is they can erase blocks of flash memory, then write new data into them. To do this, you need a special bit of firmware, called a bootloader, that is in another block of the flash memory so it doesn't erase itself!
er9x for the '128 includes such a bootloader. This uses two of the signals normally used for the USBASP as serial connections. If you power the radio on holding the two horizontal trims towards the centre, the radio should start with this bootloader running.
You may then use a FTDI, or similar, to flash the firmware using "Arduino" as the programmer.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Thanks again, I am learning a lot....

So I can write that way with Eepe right through the FTDI and Eepe can use the FTDI over same connection to check the new write afterwards?

Would be great, then I will order that FTDI and use the same hole I made for the USBtiny.....
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

HAve a look at this thread: http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... loader+128, for details how to use the bootloader.
If you want to use telemetry as well, and leave the FTDI built in, it may require a couple of resistors in the signals from the FTDI.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
Piedro

Post by Piedro »

Thanks Mike, will do...
So far pretty impressed with Er9X, It's like having a new and better radio. :)

Peter
Ukalelefpv

Post by Ukalelefpv »

I have done the telemetry mod and am using this multiprotocol module and can’t seem to get any telemetry readings mainly just looking at rssi and voltage but it comes out as all zero. Do I need to do something special with the telemetry mod for this to work?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you done the mod with or without an inverter/buffer.
I think the IrangeX module comes the telemetry sent as inverted serial (as needed by FrSky transmitters). If you haven't used an inverter/buffer in your mod then you either need to add one, or reflash the IrangeX with multiprotocol firmware set for non-inverted telemetry.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “er9x”