Wierd issue with right gimbal

Hardware Support for the 9XR Pro
edelsailor

Re: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by edelsailor »

@jtroutt19...please keep this thread live with updates if any changes relating to this phenomena of gimbal response occur.
Like I said in the beginning of this thread, it may only be a possibility that pots were/are failing.

@jhsa...glad you came in. Was waiting for your input. But considering my observation of the problem with pots on my 9xrPro, I was suspicious of the pots on jtroutt19's tx.
I found it interesting that his large quad responded without error, where as his small one responded with error. Intermittent?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Difficult to tell. Obviously the problem was really the pot.. Time will tell if the problem is really gone.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

well true I guess Ill just keep it then. Would be nice to have a spare just in case. Plus my wife could use it. I could use it as a trainer radio too!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

jtroutt19 wrote: fly my 250 around my house tonight
I've done calibration in the radio
and I've also done the calibration in my flight controller.
When you say your model is a (250), I am guessing you are referring to a 250 size Quad (maybe home constructed quad)
and when you say (done the calibration in my flight controller) and ESC"s (Electronic Speed Controller) control the speed of your quad motors.
Not knowing which flight controller you have and because the more advance flight controller's, the ESC"s are calibrated with the flight controller connected and the old or less advance flight controller you would need to calibrate ESC"s to radio Gimbal pots with out the flight controller.
So your problem description in the beginning, could have been non-calibration of the ESC"s to radio Gimbal pots.
Also I understood you had no trouble with a larger Quad which would lead me to think your new 9XR- pro was working properly
and you were only having the problems with your 250 quad which you were setting up for the first time.

Anyway glad it is working for you now. :)

Keep the replacement 9XR-Pro, you may need two, to make one good some day or you can mod it to make it better.
9XR-pro radio uses erSky9x firmware which makes it a good radio, some of the hardware may not be reliable in it.
That's why doing mod upgrades can make it a great RC Radio. :D

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

hey thanks bob! Yes i do mean a 250 size quad. I am using the cc3d revolution in both quads. Both have been setup and flown with my old 9x. Flight controller deals with calibration of esc's during setup. I understand what you are saying totally. After I got the radio i went back through the transmitter calibration for both quads. I was unaware you had to do it separately with older technology. Learn something new everyday.

Thank you for all the help! Everyone I appreciate it! Sometimes I think I may jump the gun asking for help but I rather ask and learn something then possibly mess something up.

Also I am interested in installing a better speaker. Would love it to be less tinny an louder. I am going to do the aurora 9x gimbals in it to. I will fully document that when I do it as well. Other than those two things what else is there and why would you do them?

edelsailor

Re: RE: Re: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by edelsailor »

jtroutt19 wrote:hey thanks bob! Yes i do mean a 250 size quad. I am using the cc3d revolution in both quads. Both have been setup and flown with my old 9x. Flight controller deals with calibration of esc's during setup. I understand what you are saying totally. After I got the radio i went back through the transmitter calibration for both quads. I was unaware you had to do it separately with older technology. Learn something new everyday.

Thank you for all the help! Everyone I appreciate it! Sometimes I think I may jump the gun asking for help but I rather ask and learn something then possibly mess something up.

Also I am interested in installing a better speaker. Would love it to be less tinny an louder. I am going to do the aurora 9x gimbals in it to. I will fully document that when I do it as well. Other than those two things what else is there and why would you do them?
I will look forward to your gimbal upgrade. I will post my upgrade here and on a new thread as well. Also, if you have not explored the other posts on this forum about the 9xrPro, I suggest you do.

P.S. You can load the 9xrPro with your music files and use earphones. Happy flying.

jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Thats kinda neat. I have explored a little I will explore some more!
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Hey guys So i have been doing some searching about gimbal replacement. The 9xr and 9xr pro will accept the taranis gimbals with some modification to the gimbal. The taranis will accept the aurora 9 gimbals but you keep the mounting bracket for the taranis gimbal and simple install the aurora 9 gimbal into the taranis mount. So the aurora 9 gimbals can be used in the 9xr/pro but I think it would almost cost 100 bucks. Basically you would have to purchase a set of the taranis gimbals for the mount and then purchase a set of the aurora 9 gimbals for the innards.

My question would it be worth it to do that or just go with the taranis gimbals.

Here is a video of the aurora to taranis gimbal replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSMZNkiLENQ
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Why the heck would someone want to replace the taranis gimbals with the aurora gimbals? :o
The taranis gimbals are excellent. I think the gimbals are in my opinion the best, and probably the only good part of the radio. :) I ( and hundreds of other people) have these gimbals in all my 9x radios, except for one that I replaced the stock 9x pots with hall sensors. But that's another story :)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Most likely becasue while searching for 9X gimbal replacement they find old pages about Aurora gimbals that date from before Taranis gimbals were a thing...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is certainly not the case as on the video linked above the guy replaces the Taranis plus gimbals with the Aurora gimbals.
I had to laugh when watching the video :mrgreen: I think it is really not worth it. As I said before, I think the gimbals are prtobably the best component in a Taranis. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi jtroutt19,
Here is another option: (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-sing ... -tx-s.html)
and there maybe some helpful info here too: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2974&hilit=Search+for+9x+Pot).
The Taranis Gimbals will be a good mod to do, cost and quality is good with using the Taranis Gimbals.
Some more info here: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=8847&p=115634&hili ... ls#p115634).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

In my searching over the last couple of days I ran across a post somewhere where a gentleman was saying that the taranis gimbals, YEAH i finally got the spelling right, were a clone of the aurora gimbals. Thats the only reason i brought up the aurora gimbals. If you guys are saying the taranis gimbals are the shizzle then cool I will just go with those.

Bob thanks for the links! I have read through the thread on this forum about the 3 axis. Im not really sure if I like the idea of the three axis, but then again I have never tried it. I honestly will prolly just go with taranis gimbals. I am also going to do the speaker mod. I was watching videos last night and man oh man the quality of sound you get out of a replacement speaker! Almost made start taking apart stuff in my house to find an appropriate speaker :).
jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

Hey guys just thought I would let y'all know that I got my replacement from HK today. This one works great! Sticks actually feel better too. I got the carrying case for it too. Did anyone else who has the case that HK sells mod the bottom piece of foam to hold stuff instead of just removing it?
Attachments
20161123_211642_HDR.jpg
edelsailor

Post by edelsailor »

Hello. Glad to here that your replacement Tx arrived. In regards to your mod of the Tx case, do you put something on top of the cord and batteries to protect the backside of the Tx?

I just received my Sherline, so work will proceed on my 9xrPro gimbal upgrade shortly. This kit I am developing will be much easier to put in the radio, and will have precise and accurate resolution.

Cheers, and have a great Thanksgiving.

jtroutt19

Post by jtroutt19 »

I have a very thin sheet of packing foam that I place in there. Everything fits nice and the radio doesnt move at all. I can shake the c**p out of it and nothing moves!
michel49

Post by michel49 »

the issue come often with the pot.; I took the track of one of the Aux. pot.; you can either find a 5K track in one of those toy Tx. gimbal...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

As i said before,you cannot directly replace the stick pot with a AUX Pot.
The "AUX" pot has all the 5K resistance over all its track surface, about 270 degrees.
The stick pots have the 5K over only few degrees to each side from the center. How much depends on the radio and its stick travel. then the rest of the track is very low resistance until the pin. So all resistance is only near the center of the pot. If you use a normal 270 degree pot, the resolution will be considerably reduced, IF you can calibrate it at all..

If replacing those stick pots was that easy we would not be having this discussion :) ;)
On one of my 9x radios I useed a complete different approach.. Hall sensors and magnets :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I'm not sure if the pots of the 9x radio would fit into the sticks of your 9xrpro. But if they would fit, Banggood sells replacement stick assemblies for the 9x at a very decent price (atm 6,86$ with free shipping).
http://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-TH9X- ... mds=search

Reinhard
edelsailor

Re: RE: Re: Wierd issue with right gimbal

Post by edelsailor »

jhsa wrote:As i said before,you cannot directly replace the stick pot with a AUX Pot.
The "AUX" pot has all the 5K resistance over all its track surface, about 270 degrees.
The stick pots have the 5K over only few degrees to each side from the center. How much depends on the radio and its stick travel. then the rest of the track is very low resistance until the pin. So all resistance is only near the center of the pot. If you use a normal 270 degree pot, the resolution will be considerably reduced, IF you can calibrate it at all..

If replacing those stick pots was that easy we would not be having this discussion :) ;)
On one of my 9x radios I useed a complete different approach.. Hall sensors and magnets :)

João
jhsa: is correct about the pot. As I mentioned in this thread (earlier) the 9xrPro pots have 80 degrees of swing only. All 5,000 ohms are situated within the 80 degrees, 40 degrees on each side of 135 degrees.

EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

High guys, looks like it's been a bit since someone has posted in this thread. This thread is the closest thing I've found to my problem. I dropped my radio and broke a gimbal so I just installed two new taranis gimbals, the PR10. After I put everything back together I calibrated the sticks. Oh I guess I should mention I had to go into hardware and reverse the throttle and pitch. Anyways I've done the calibration multiple times now but I don't get full throw on Pitch.......I actually have several issues...in Betaflight the channel values are all over the place, but let me fix the pitch access first......

When I go into the DiagAna (Ersky9xr 220)...these are my values for RV at center stick..3.9......bottom..-92.4 to 97.3 (keeps moving).....top..57.9 (keeps moving).......after I perform the stick calibration the main screen shows the pitch location just above center on full stick deflection.....any tips would be greatly appreciated. I haven't messed with my limits yet to they are still at defaults.

I've had this radio for two years now and have been running Ersky9xr since I first got it and love them both, I would hate to need to replace it.....I also have the 9x with Er9x installed so I can use that temporarily but I'm going to eventually use the TBS crossfire so I need the 9xr Pro to work.

Thanks
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Do you mean throttle stick when you say pitch?
Make sure that when calibrate the sticks, all of them including the throttle stick are at center..

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In th DIAGANA screen, there is a 4-digit (hex) number beside RV. What values do you have there (and are they steady) when the stick is centered, and when the stick is at full deflection each way?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

jhsa wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:21 am Do you mean throttle stick when you say pitch?
Make sure that when calibrate the sticks, all of them including the throttle stick are at center..

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
No, mode 2 right stick up and down is pitch, I fly miniquads I guess it's also called elevator. Yes all sticks are at center when calibrating. I press menu to start the calibration, move the sticks all around then press menu to end. No luck when I move left stick up, on the main screen it only moves 2/3 of the way up.
When I'm not flying I'm dreaming of flying, when I'm not dreaming of flying.....I'm asleep
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:43 am In th DIAGANA screen, there is a 4-digit (hex) number beside RV. What values do you have there (and are they steady) when the stick is centered, and when the stick is at full deflection each way?

Mike.
At center screen shows: RV 06E9 1.9 A9
all the way down: RV 04AA (keeps changing, doesn't settle) -93.3 (keeps changing) A9
All the way up: RV 0713(keeps changing, doesn't settle) 37 to 50 (keeps changing) A9

So after I did all these movements now at center it shows: RV 06EE 6.9 A9
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Try swapping the 2 gimbals.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't like those (hex) values for RV. I'd expect around 0400 for the centre position. Please check you have 0V on the brown wire and 3.0V on the red wire goint to the gimbal.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:21 pm I don't like those (hex) values for RV. I'd expect around 0400 for the centre position. Please check you have 0V on the brown wire and 3.0V on the red wire goint to the gimbal.

Mike.
UPDATE: Silly me that was the throttle stick. I'll post the correct one in a few minutes
Mike
If I'm looking at the back of the radio where the gimbal plugs in I believe the JST connector on the left is for RV correct? In order left to right this is what the meter reads: 0, .5v. 3.29v. Maybe I have two of the wires from the taranis gimbal switched? The colors are red black and yellow. I'm switching the red and black. I can see on the circuit board on the side of the gimbal that VCC appears to be red right now i have it in the middle pin because that is how the stock gimbal was, white red and black left to right.
EdwardMcRichy

Post by EdwardMcRichy »

MikeB wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:21 pm I don't like those (hex) values for RV. I'd expect around 0400 for the centre position. Please check you have 0V on the brown wire and 3.0V on the red wire goint to the gimbal.

Mike.
Ok now that I am on the correct side of the radio (Left side looking at the back, the left most JST reads 0, .3v, 3.29v
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Don't go by the colours of the wires in the radio, they don't use standard colours, and sometimes they are different on different radios!
The gimbal colours are red, brown and yellow. Red should be 3.3V, brown 0V and yellow is the signal.
Use the measured voltages on the JST, 0V, and 3.29V are the power, the other is the signal.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “Turnigy 9XR PRO radio”