How to connect eepe simulator on my PC with Turnigy 9X Radio and model planes, using SBUS/Arduino for setup?

Electronic projects that are either related to the firmwares for the 9x, or simply great for radio control applications.
tahirotahir

How to connect eepe simulator on my PC with Turnigy 9X Radio and model planes, using SBUS/Arduino for setup?

Post by tahirotahir »

Very new to this forum. I am sure this question or concern has been raised in past many time by newbies like me.

I have been reading here, but keep getting lost. Where to start and what to pay attention at, plus what is which circuit diagram.
I recently upgraded my Turnigy 9x to Er9x. I saw few of Jhsa YouTube videos where he is controlling or setting-up the AIL, ELEV and RUD of his plane directly from eepe simulator on his PC.

After watching few videos, I got the idea that I need an Arduino board and few other items. Can someone help me with following list of items:
1) What is the list of items I need to buy (i.e. Arduino board, USB cable, 3.5 mm Stereo Jack .. what else?)
2) What would be the connections and/or wiring configuration (diagram) would be?
3) I know Stereo jack will connect from FTDI to back of Turnigy 9X Radio's Trainer plug. In what ports of FTDI board. the jack wires will connect?
4) Would I need to load any program to FTDI board as well? If yes, where in the forum I will find those loader files?

If talking about electronics parts (circuit boards), I have found so much on Alibaba and eBay but now lost and getting frustrated.
Please help me out or guide me to right direction.

Tahir

jhsa

Re: How to connect eepe simulator on my PC with Turnigy 9X Radio and model planes, using SBUS/Arduino for setup?

Post by jhsa »

Hi, welcome to the OpenRCforums.

First of all, please read this thread again

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=5476

It contains all the info to connect eepe and eepskye and control your model.
Please keep in mind that flying your model using eepe is not possible :) yet :) So, if that is your main goal, forget it :)
connecting your model to eepe / eepskye is wonderful to program our models because we can use the bigger computer screen and still see how our mode reacts in real time.. ALWAYS REMOVE PROPS to avoid accidents. :)
tahirotahir wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:27 am
1) What is the list of items I need to buy (i.e. Arduino board, USB cable, 3.5 mm Stereo Jack .. what else?)
Its on the thread linked above. There are several ways of doing it. One is using an arduino board and an FTDI adapter to connect the PC to your radio.
The FTDI adapter is an USB to serial interface and allows the arduino board to communicate to the computer.
In one version of the project, the arduino sends PPM to the trainer port of your radio, and the radio transmits to the model's receiver.

On the other version, the arduino acts as a 16 channel " wired Receiver", meaning that it is connected to the computer via the FTDI adapter, and the servos of the model connect to it directly..
It is all explained on the thread linked above
2) What would be the connections and/or wiring configuration (diagram) would be?
It's on the other thread.. :)
3) I know Stereo jack will connect from FTDI to back of Turnigy 9X Radio's Trainer plug. In what ports of FTDI board. the jack wires will connect?
No, the FTDI connects the arduino board to the PC, and the arduino connects to the trainer port of the radio using a MONO (stereo also works) audio cable..
4) Would I need to load any program to FTDI board as well? If yes, where in the forum I will find those loader files?
No, you don't load any files to the FTDI, you do program the arduino board, If you never did it, you should start reading on how to program arduino boards. Search on Google, there are plenty of tutorials. The files are posted on the thread linked above :)
If talking about electronics parts (circuit boards), I have found so much on Alibaba and eBay but now lost and getting frustrated.
Please help me out or guide me to right direction.

Tahir
You can get arduino PRO MINI 16Mhz 5V boards very cheap on ebay.. The same with the FTDI adapters..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
tahirotahir

Re: How to connect eepe simulator on my PC with Turnigy 9X Radio and model planes, using SBUS/Arduino for setup?

Post by tahirotahir »

Hi Joao,

Thank you for such a detail reply. While reading it and taking my time, I decided to collect at least the hardware as I find them. I am not planning to control my plane with my PC at all .. :) But as you know, very much attracted to have possibilities of programming control surfaces from my screen rather then from TX tiny screen.

I almost found all the parts so far, except the PPM to PWM decoder which appears to be custom built. I found one online, Could you please tell me if that is the correct one?
PPM to PWM.JPG
I will stay in touch if I have more questions.

Thanks,

Tahir
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I never used that one, so I can't tell you if it works or not, but my guess is that it doesn't because the SBUS output from the PC works at a different baud rate than the original SBUS signal.. Why don't you build the one that I posted on the other thread? it is easy to build and it can output 16 channels..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “General RC Electronic Projects and Discussion”