ERSKYTx (was ersky9x) Questions

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
RCHH

Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by RCHH »

Nooo it is almost a year old and has been charged lots of times.
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahhh ok. Then.... :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Getting back operating again. On a new PC, the USB joystick is being found, and I've fixed a bug so it is actually responding.
I suppose different firmware could be using things differently, resulting in a lower current consumption. Maybe the external SDRAM, used for the screen data, is being accessed a lot more on the FrOs, just a guess though.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

"B6" posted with what should be a working USB joystick.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

B6 flashed to Horus no problem.

FrSky Horus Joystick fully recognised and working. Calibration works. Tested in Clear View - works fine.

I also note that the haptic 'strength' can be adjusted now.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The simpleton asked "Hows about ErSky9X for Horus???". And the Genius from Dorset replied "Why not indeed? I shall get right onto it!" And then there was light on Horus! And it was good!

RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Horus locked up again. Had to remove battery to shut down.

Whilst setting up some Expo on one of the models I am plumbing into Horus. :o

Edit: Mike, just found out that this only happens when the USB is connected with the radio on.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK. I've got the watchdog running again with the joystick feature in, so at least you should get a reboot rather than a lock up when I get this version posted.

I need to improve the storing of models on the SD card. At present, just 1 file is used for each model. This is over-written when you change models or power off, so if something goes wrong, models could be lost.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, I have a question :)
You said in another thread that when mAh information is being received, the FUEL field will be automatically filled, as far as I understood. Is this correct?
Now, I have been working on a real Fuel Tank sensor for IC powered models, that connects to the oXs and is sent to the radio as FUEL.
What about if I also wanted to monitor the capacity of the main battery, and have a current sensor on it? Wouldn't there be some conflict?

Thanks

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The FUEL value is only filled in from the mAh value if you set a "mAh Limit" value other than 0.
You may always check the mAh value in logical switches or voice alarms anyway.

I think the "mAh Limit" setting is now redundant anyway, since I added the feature in scalers to store the resulting value as a telemetry value.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

So, in other words, and if I understand, I can have the quantity of fuel in the fuel tank displayed, along with the used battery capacity from my battery in different fields, correct?

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

"B7" posted. This puts the watchdog back in. I'vealso found and fixed 2 bugs in the expo editing. One caused only one expo entry to adjust when both should change.
The other was to do with drawing the cross that shows where the stick is on the graph. When any part of this went off the top of the display, I got a memory fault that caused a watchdog timeout (or hang). This may be the problem you are having.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Yes Mike - that describes it exactly. Just stuffing me face and will get B7 on shortly ...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

jhsa wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 11:47 am So, in other words, and if I understand, I can have the quantity of fuel in the fuel tank displayed, along with the used battery capacity from my battery in different fields, correct?
Yes. I just tried the following:
Suppose you are using a 2200 mAh battery.
Set a scaler:
Source mAh.
Offset -2200 (Yes negative).
Sign -
This gives you a value that starts at 2200, and counts down the mAh used.
If you set the Divider to 22 (2200 / 100), you get a percentage remaining. You could, if you wish, store this as the Fuel value.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 12:18 pm You could, if you wish, store this as the Fuel value.

Mike.
In my case, FUEL is the amount of Methanol or Petrol in the Tank, and mAh would be the capacity of the model's Battery. This is an internal combustion powered model, not electric..

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

B7 flashed to Horus no problem.

Expo setting perfectly now. Cross on graph behaving as intended! Lubbly jubbly!

:D
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Great!
I'm looking at the radio and model storage now. As well as writing the data to the SD card, the current radio settings and current model are being written to the, on-chip, backup RAM (4K bytes maintained by the RTC battery). This data is updated while the radio is in use, and used in preference to reading from the SD card at start up.
At present, model data is written to files like "MODEL01A.bin". I shall be adding a second file "MODEL01B", and having a (32-bit) sequence number in the files to indicate which is the most recent. The 'A' or 'B' will also be stored in the backup RAM, so we will have immediate access to which file to load as long as the backup memory is OK. I'll need to have a recovery method in place for those occasions when the backup memory is not valid (e.g. change of backup battery).

I'm also adding a 2 second delay at shutdown to give the SD card time to complete writing before power off.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Good good! Just keeps getting better and better! But I am beginning to get concerned about the 'moving' hardware on Horus. Throttle stick now loses friction at the last bit of bottom stick. What with that and the graunchy S1 pot I am replacing ... hmmmm!

Incidentally, the one I ordered from Banggood arrived yesterday - I only ordered it on 03 May! However, it was sent from a UK address - not from China, so I wonder if they have got a forwarding warehouse over here now? No faulting that for under a fiver! If they start doing that for other things, that will be great.

Also discovered it has no 'detent' for centre position though. And it seems that is correct - S1 has none, S2 has the detent. Mine was never built right! lol

Will be taking Horus to bits, tomorrow. Also have some 3-way switches as one of them came apart some weeks ago and I replaced it with one from a Devo. Not quite the same, so Banggood to the rescue!

And they delivered extremely quickly -
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Are you telling us that the horus hardware is c**p?? :) ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Well, the S1 has gone 'gritty' and the throttle stick has lost friction. If I stand the TX on it's feet, and set the throttle stick to -75 or so, and then give it the slightest touch, it instantly drops to -100.

The M9 gimbals I recently fitted to my Sky boarded 9X don't do that - and they were only £18 each!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think you can adjust the stick friction on the back of the gimbal??

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Yes one can - pretty much the same as most other TX's, but mine is already fully screwed in. I have had a look at it, as the back cover is not screwed on atm, and it is actually the design of the cam/quadrant that the friction spring presses on. At its lower end, it is the wrong shape and is not in contact with the leaf! ! What looks to have happened is the original lubrication grease has now gone, and there is nothing touching the spring leaf! Poor!!!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Mike, would it he possible to have an option to have FUEL displayed as a percentage bar also on the custom screens?
I think in this case we would have a better idea of the remaining quantity of fuel in the tank. The reason is that the readings are a bit noisy, and also if the tank vibrates or shake, the indicated level varies a bit. This makes it a bit difficult to read numbers

Thanks

João

EDIT: By the way, here is a picture of what I have been messing with lately ;). :)Image

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Not something I could add quickly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It doesn't have to be quickly :)
It would really help if someone uses a fuel sensor. I think the bar on the other screen is mapped to a 0% to 100% scale?
This could be the same, just smaller obviously. Of course I don't know if the space in front of the source FUEL could be used for a bar instead of the numbers.. Maybe too small?

Hmmm, actually I think the bar would have to be also based on a scaler.. I did have to scale the received FUEL value.
It's like this, the tank sensor uses an arduino nano to output PWM (0, 255) to an analog pin on oXs. Then it is sent to the radio as FUEL. Then it needs a bit of scaling on the value received. I don't really understand why as the PWM when the tank is full reads 5V, but it does need scaling. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

Mike,
It sounds like you are perhaps getting a tad overloaded? How about leaving the Horus porting for a while and stick with the mainstream TX's versions? After all, it is only me (I think) that was asking for the Horus version, and there are nowhere near the amount of Horus users that the other TX's and boards have. And quite frankly, I can live with what wonders you have done so far with it (even more so, as you effectively don't even have one! lol!), as it already has most of the functionality, is reliable and I trust it.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

jhsa wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 1:06 pm EDIT: By the way, here is a picture of what I have been messing with lately ;). :)Image
A flying cabinet?! COOL!!! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the off-topic! :oops:
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: ERSKY9x Questions

Post by jhsa »

andrewju wrote:
jhsa wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 1:06 pm EDIT: By the way, here is a picture of what I have been messing with lately ;). :)Image
A flying cabinet?! COOL!!! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the off-topic! :oops:
It doesn't fly.. Not yet :)

@RCHH, I think it would be nice if Ersky9x would run on the horus. None of my ideas/requests or whatever you want to call them is urgent. The only that might need looking into (still not life threatening ;) ) is the little problem I reported a few days ago when reconnecting the oXs without cycling the radio's power..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
RCHH

Post by RCHH »

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one .. "

So said a pointy-eared green blooded hobgoblin ... :lol: :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

However, sometimes I do what interests me, rather than what others ask for!

João: Please remind me of the post to which you refer.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm However, sometimes I do what interests me, rather than what others ask for!
And that should not be sometimes, it should be all of the time :)
João: Please remind me of the post to which you refer.

Mike.
Here it is Mike, thank you..

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40&p=128185#p127702

But today I went to the field and something a little different happened from what I've described on the post.
I didn't flash the oXs, I didn't change anything on the model since it was working well. The only change I did to that model recently was replacing one of the aileron servos that died on me in flight. Managed to land it with only one working, before someone asks :) :mrgreen:
But the telemetry was working well, no warnings at startup, no not sent cells getting suddenly a value of 0.00.
As i said today I had these alarms at startup again, but not only if I didn't power the radio down between flights. This time was right on the first flight. Here is what I did:
Turn the radio ON, clear any alarm

Connect the battery to the ESC to power receiver. oXs not powered. Immediately I get 2 consecutive alarms of "Serial Connection Lost" which checks the TmOK field. The voice alarm already has a delay for this field.

Connect the balance plug to the oXs to power it and read the cells voltages. (oXs is powered by cell number 2)
I get a value of 0.00 on cell 4 and get an cell alarm of 0 volts and an FasV alarm of also 0 volts.

So, my question is, why am I getting those alarms as soon as I connect the battery to the model??
Today this happened even if I turned the radio OFF and ON again..

Thanks

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”