Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

erskyTx runs on many radios and upgrade boards
ersky9x was a port of er9x for use on the sky9x board.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Using FrSky S6R with ersky9x

Post by MikeB »

My only suggestion is to connect the signal and ground to the Taranis/STK, and provide a separate, switched power supply to the S6R.
When you get to the "finding device" point, then switch the power to the S6R on.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

andrewju

Post by andrewju »

We tried that, too... :(
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Then that S6R is likely faulty.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mmm... After countless attempts, this S6R was detected by an application and the owner successfully reflashed it to the latest version. Though, he tried flashing again (just to check) and the receiver wasn't detected. So it looks like there is a problem to get this receiver into the bootloader mode.

Is this a feature that depends solely on the MCU, or there are some external components involved that we could check (like maybe missing or faulty capacitor that sets some startup delay)?
Raglanmatt

Post by Raglanmatt »

Anyone managed to set up a delta wing to work right? I've got the receiver linked, I'm using mike's on radio set up, have delta wing set. Using the inverses I've got the aileron and elevator directions working right but in stabilise or self level the elevator adjusts the correct way but the ailerons go the wrong way. I've tried every combination of normal, inverse on s6r and tried normal and inverse on limits page too but just can't get it to work. Also tried mixing ail and ele on mixer screen on 9xr but that was a total fail. Using latest firmware on s6r and xjt. Any ideas?cheers, Matt

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have a S8R (16 channels/SBUS), I'm testing. I found that the blue and yellow LEDs were not working. On investigation they were not fitted!
It seems other S8Rs may be available for purchase that are missing these.
I've managed to find and fit blue and yellow LEDs to it, and they work as expected (like the S6R).
For information:
D4 is the BLUE LED and
D5 is the YELLOW LED.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Raglanmatt wrote:Anyone managed to set up a delta wing to work right?
I think this is a real problem. Changing AIL direction reverses channel 1, not the aileron function. Changing ELE direction reverses channel 2, not the ELE function.
If your mechanics require reversing just one of AIL or ELE in delta mode, there doesn't seem to be a setting that will do this.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

MikeB wrote:I have a S8R (16 channels/SBUS), I'm testing. I found that the blue and yellow LEDs were not working. On investigation they were not fitted!
It seems other S8Rs may be available for purchase that are missing these.
I thought you have a pre-production sample of the S8R...

Maybe FrSky knew you're skilled enough to fit the LEDs yourself, and decided to save some shipping weight? :mrgreen:

MikeB wrote:For information:
D4 is the BLUE LED and
D5 is the YELLOW LED.
What size are they? Will something like 0603 fit?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yeah for some reason the preproduction units lack the extra LEDs... but I doubt that's the case on sold units.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I saw a comment from someone on RCG saying he had a S8R and no yellow LED showing. I don't know if that was pre-production or not.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

andrewju wrote:What size are they? Will something like 0603 fit?
Yes, the yellow LED I fitted is described as "0603 (0.75mm)", and looks to be the same size as the other LEDs.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Raglanmatt wrote:Anyone managed to set up a delta wing to work right?. . . Using the inverses I've got the aileron and elevator directions working right but in stabilise or self level the elevator adjusts the correct way but the ailerons go the wrong way.
I think that if you swap which servo goes to channel 1 and which servo goes to channel 2 on the Rx, then you will be able to use the S6R settings to get the correct stab/auto-level response, then set the Tx channel reverses on AIL and ELE to get the correct control response.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Raglanmatt

Post by Raglanmatt »

Mike, you're a legend once more and found the thing I didn't try. Now with a combo of swapped servos on ch 1 and 2, one inverse in s6r and one radio inverse it works! Too easy ha. Many thanks fella

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Thanks to "flybabo" I've now posted a version of SportSet (on the first post) that should run on a Mac.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,

Do you think it's possible to teach SportSet to change SPort IDs? Then it will become the one and only tool for all Sport-related changes on a PC.

This is not urgent at all, of course...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It is certainly possible. I had started on having such an option on ersky9x in maintenance mode. I've just finished that off, just need to remove various debug from the display. With that working, I do know what is needed to be added to SportSet.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hmm... I thought it was part of ersky9x since a long time!

Anyway, that's a great news! Thanks a lot!!!

If you will need a tester - I'll be ready to help in about a week (as I don't have my radio with me now).
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Setting up a wing seems to be inconsistent. I need help. I have setup two other wings, one with a S6R and the other with S8R. I have a new S8R that is giving me fits. I am obviously doing something wrong. I have used both Sportset and latest FrSky config programs. I have also updated the unit with the latest firmware from FrSky site (V12.34). I am able to adjust the travel direction for stabilize mode so that the compensation is correct. Then adjusting the TX (erSky9xt: latest Beta) ail and ele for correct control throw. But, Auto level mode corrects appropriately for roll but pitch is backward. If I adjust for this mode to be correct for pitch then stabilize mode is backward for pitch. I am stuck.
Mike
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Seems odd, have you set the mounting direction to match how you have the Rx mounted?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Yes. It does seem odd. Neither of my other wings act this way.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You could try putting the non-beta firmware on the S8R and seeing if that is OK.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hi Mike,

Did you see the "Simple mode" firmware for the S6R?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... count=3095
Looks like they added three levels of "pilot skills", allowing different stabilization options.
Honestly speaking, I don't understand how this new addition is supposed to help. I probably have to fly it and feel it myself (didn't try it so far)...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It looks to me like this just uses channel 10 to set the mode, and doesn't have hover and knife edge. This just makes setting the Tx up a bit easier, you only have 1 channel to configure.
Personally, I find auto-level mode is confusing to fly with and only needs to be active for a short while to bring the 'plane level.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Ah, so it's supposed to just limit the amount of options a pilot could choose. I don't see much use for it on er9x / OpenTX, as we can achieve the same by configuring the radio.

And I'm not sure there are many people out there using the S-series receivers on non-er9x / non-opentx radios (if there are any at all)...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've been thinking about how "unnatural" it feels to fly with "auto-level" enabled. I just realised this could be overcome by the following (note I'm using ersky9x firmware settings):
Set up some logical switches:
L1 |V|<val Ele 2
L2 |V|<val Ail 2
L3 AND L1 L1 and SCv
Now the mixes (use MAX not HALF on openTx):
CH10 +100% HALF !SC^
CH11 +100% HALF L3

With SC^, you have normal operation.
With SC-, you have stabilise mode.
With SCv, you have auto-level UNTIL you move the Ail or Ele controls away from centre, when it switches back to stabilise mode.

I have yet to try this in flight, but it should work.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
I just picked up a new QX7 from another club member as my backup radio (he bought it by mistake, off-loaded to me for a bargain). I've now replaced the OpenTX 2.2 with ErSky for X7 from 07/07/2017. All good so far - got most things figured out and ready to start loading my models (from my main 9XRPro) onto it.

Question: How to get into the s6r 'across-the-air' configure menu (your method, not LUA) on the X7 with ErSky? I've searched here and rcgroups on ersky-related and s6r-related threads and your notes - think I've covered most bases - can't seem to find the notes for getting there on X7.

Thanks, in advance, for the info.

Regards,
ozphoenix
MikeB wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:33 pm I've put a test version of ersky9x on the first post. The S6R menu is UP LONG, then LEFT twice.
Make sure you have the S6R powered on and bound to the Tx.
In the menu, use DOWN and UP to select the item you wish to view/edit (they are not all there yet). The value will show as "-----". Press MENU SHORT and the value will be requested from the S6R. If the value doesn't appear after a second or so, try MENU again.
Once the value is present, you may edit it. MENU LONG will then write the value to the S6R.
This may not be the best method, but it seems to at least work. I'm open to suggestions for improvement. Note that fetching a value from the S6R does take some time, so trying to read all the values could take a long time.
For now, I'd like to know if this much is working and useable. I've only tested the 9XR-PRO as I don't have any diodes fitted on SKY/AR9X boards (yet).

Note that these test versions also include the use of trim switches in places where any switch might be used. There is an automatic mechanism in place for these. If no mix is active with a trim included, and the trim value is not being used as a GVAR source, then the relevant trim switches will not change the trim value.

Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

From the main display, hold the encoder button in (LONG) to get the popup, then select "Statistics". Go LEFT (encoder rotation) a couple of times to get to the S6R menu. Press the encoder button to change to up/down instead of left/right, then you should be able to select items. Use the MENU button (SHORT) to read a value and LONG to write a changed value.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Ok, thanks - much appreciated - got there now - didn't find anything about that noted on any threads, but I probably just missed it.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's location and how to find it is logical - I overlooked the Statistics page on the QX7 -I should have remembered these pages from the 9XRPro. I looked on other menu items near it on the QX7, but overlooked that one :(

My apologies for taking up your time with simple stuff.

Regards,
ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Hi Mike,

Further questions and a comment - sorry - for ErSky 7/07/2017 on QX7.

1. Cannot seem to get Haptic to work - set it up on Radio Setup (same settings as work on 9XRPro - Haptic strength 5, min run 20) and then put in a simple VoiceAudio Alarm to test it (if CH3 value larger than 'val', with both Haptic selected and a voice file selected) -- if throttle moves off zero by any small amount then it should vibrate haptic and play the file (this owrks ok on the 9XRPro) .....it doesn't want to work on the QX7 - no matter which Haptic(1/2/3) I choose there is no vibration yet the voice file plays ok. Is there any hardware diagnostic which tests haptic vibration or am I missing some haptic/voice file somewhere from setting up this new installation?

2. On Default Switch settings (Model Setup, General, Default Switch), 2 problems: Problem A - when I go the line 'Default SW ABCD F' on the Model/Gen/Def Sw screen, the Switch D position shows as reverse highlighted and I cannot find a way to set it back to 'not highlighted', even though SA/SB/SC/SF highlighting can be toggled with the MENU button. Not sure why not.
Then, Problem B. If I highlight/select the next line down 'switch positions' field (up/mid/down) with the switches set as I want to test, then press MENU to set them correctly for my power-up check, then I put one switch (e.g. F) in the incorrect position for the next power up, I get a warning screen on power up as I should, but on that warning screen along with that switch (e.g. F) showing (correctly) as wrongly set, a Switch G shows as being set wrong (it physically doesn't exist on QX7 and it doesn't appear anywhere in the switch set up menu) and also Switch D shows as being set wrong (but it's not physically set wrong as per the up/down/mid line, though it is wrongly highlighted on the line 'Default SW ABCD F' ).

Problem 1 (Haptic) might be a hardware fault or missing file, but Problem 2a and 2b seem like coding.

Any suggestions?

And, the comment: I have confirmed that I am using x7_rom.bin from the '221d7' zip file, but on the Version screen, the MOD and SVN refer to X9D - shouldn't it refer to QX7 (I guess the QX7 is a branch of X9D?)??

Thanks, in advance.

ozphoenix
ozphoenix

Post by ozphoenix »

Mike,
Re: Problem 2B (above) - on a model just now converted from 9XRPro to QX7 using eePskye (latest version for QX7), Switch E (doesn't exist on QX7) also shows up on the power up warning screen (but appears nowhere on the set up screens).

Regards,
ozphoenix

Return to “erskyTx (was ersky9x)”