No Telemetry Screens

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Scram

No Telemetry Screens

Post by Scram »

I have a Taranis+ running OpenTx 2.1.7

My glider is arranged with an X8R receiver. I am trying to set up an alarm on the transmitter for low Rx battery voltage. I cannot find how to do this. Help appreciated.

With the model switched on and in the model setup page, long press page takes me to the Telemetry page, I select "Discover sensors" and it finds 3 sensors:
1 SWR
2 RSSI
3 RxBt

and it reveals the RSSI level and RxBt voltage. Great. On the main screen I get a Rx battery symbol but no voltage readout.

(BTW, what is SWR?)

I go back to the main screen and long press Page to go to the Telemetry screens and it says "No Telemetry screens" Where is A1 and A2?

Further presses of the Page button does nothing.

I have not ticked the "Fiamode" checkbox for the model or OpenTx version.

How do I set up a low receiver battery voltage alarm please?

Thanks

Scram

Re: No Telemetry Screens

Post by Scram »

OK. I succeeded in setting an alarm using a Logical Switch and a Special Function.

But still, where is my A1 and A2 and the Rx battery voltage display on the main screen?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nowhere until you put them on a custom screen at the bottom of the telemetry setup page.
Scram

Post by Scram »

Thanks Kilrah, I have found it and your 2.1 Telemetry system preview thread which has helped. Maybe I should not have updated to 2.1 from 2.0.15 but I was having difficulty connecting with V8R-II and XnR receivers but a combination of this and a revised XJT firmware solved those difficulties.

2 curiosities remain.
a) In your Telemetry preview thread your shots of the Taranis Telemetry screens show page 13/13. I only get 12/12 ??

b) is it possible to display the Rx battery voltage alongside the battery graphic symbol on the main page?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The number of pages depends on the firmware options you selected in companion.

For the voltage, Top bar->volts source.

Scram

Post by Scram »

Thanks, I found the Top Bar input line in the Telemetry setup page.
Scram

Post by Scram »

I'm now running OpenTx 2.1.9.

I'm setting up a new glider with fan on the front so I have an ESC and I'm running it all directly off a 2S Lipo with an X8R receiver and I've run into the telemetry problem again.
This time, when I Discover Sensors I get:
Sensors Value ID
1: SWR --- 25
2: RSSI --- 25
3: A1 --- 25
4: A2 --- 25

I still do not know what SWR stands for ??? and why is it not displaying RxBt?
........ and I cannot find any reference (availability) of RxBt for Top Bar display ?????

I want to display the RxBt voltage on the home screen and set up an alarm for low volts but I'm struggling again - the knowledge seems to have evapourated.

Help appreciated.
Scram

Post by Scram »

PS:
No longer can I find Cel or Cels ??
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Your receiver voltage might be on A1.

SWR is an estimation of the performance of the radio's transmitting antenna intended to warn about things like a broken antenna cable.

If Cels doesn't appear when you Discover sensors the cell sensor is probably not connected. It needs to be connected to the receiver and a battery to be discovered.
Scram

Post by Scram »

Thanks again Kilrah.

The problem I have is to read/register/display/alarm on the receiver battery using the base signal provided by all FrSky receivers. I don't want to add the weight/complexity of a separate battery monitor for which I know the setup. My receiver is powered from the balance port on the LiPo so a separate sensor may not be possible (??)

I've searched for instructions how to use this signal and all info I find is based on OpenTx prior to 2.0 Telemetry handling using 2.x is different and no one seems to use the value (A1) returned from the receiver and it is far from clear just looking at the Tx screens how to do this. I'm stumped at the moment.

Help appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: I have just put brain into gear and determined that the battery sensor is likely A2 not A1. When I enter this as the sensor to be displayed I only get 0.0v shown (Rx powered up). If I go to edit A2 I get various parameters to adjust. Ratio is defaulted to 13.2 but varying this has no effect.
Scram

Post by Scram »

One factor has come to my attention.

The Tx is set up to bind with the X8R in Mode 1 - D8. (NOT D16 - Mode 5) This should be a Telemetry mode but does OpenTx 2.1.9 recognise it properly?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, you must be in D16 for things to work properly.

You do not want to use an X8R in D8 mode with a Taranis, it makes no sense.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

More range?? ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I really don't believe this would provide you with any more range. But in D8 mode smart port telemetry doesn't work, which is the matter here anyway.
Scram

Post by Scram »

Thanks for the considerations folks.

I have now concluded that this is an issue of mismatched firmwares in Tx or Rx.

Some time back I revised the firmwares in both my Tx module and some receivers in order to make my Taranis+ talk with both XR and VR receivers without using EU versions, which were (are?) not compatible with VR receivers. I succeeded in this but did not record which firmwares were installed, or where. Interrogation of Rx firmware is not possible though I know what I have installed in my PC and the T+ SD card.

The current problem (is in fact minor - I can fly without sorting it) is probably due to a new X8R having slightly non-compatible firmware which will only bind with my Tx in D8 mode.

So I will either do without the Rx battery voltage displayed or try revising the Rx firmware.

Thanks again for help and advices.

Cheers, Jerry
TrueBuild

Post by TrueBuild »

It would be a good idea to get it sorted ;)
Assuming you have not already done so.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Why don't you have the battery voltage displayed when in D8 mode? You should, even if you would have to build a simple voltage sensor for the analog port :)

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”