Cross trims?

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
pchristy

Cross trims?

Post by pchristy »

I recently managed to switch off my Taranis in flight, whilst desperately trying to reach the elevator trim for a wildly out-of-trim model! My own stupid fault, but easily done!

My old Ace MicroPro transmitter has the trims crossed ie: Aileron trim where you would expect the rudder trim and elevator trim where you would expect throttle, precisely to avoid having to let go of the stick to adjust the trims. On my own home-made transmitters, I used to fit the (mechanical trim) sticks with the trim levers on the outside rather than in the middle.

Has anyone tried to re-assign the trims on a Taranis like the MicroPro? and if so, how did you do it? (For mode 2, aileron and elevator trims on the left stick and rudder and throttle trims on the right.)

We could learn a lot about ergonomics from older sets!

--
Pete

Kilrah

Re: Cross trims?

Post by Kilrah »

You can select which trim you want for each function in the Inputs. Be sure to set it on all applicable lines.
pchristy

Post by pchristy »

Thanks! Took me a while to find it, but you're right! Its there!

But is there anyway of setting so that cross trims are the default, rather than having to program it separately for each model? You don't want the trims varying depending on which model you select....!

--
Pete
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

Two comments.
First fit the small strap hanger to the tx neck strap fixing which also prevents the tx being easily turned off.
Use the instant trim feature of OpenTX so you can easily trim everything at once with a flick of the switch.
pchristy

Post by pchristy »

Yes, my Ace MicroPro (1995!) has the instant trim feature - you can even vary the slew rate. I thought the Taranis had it, but I'm not sure where its hidden!

My problem occurred on the first flight of a new model. I subsequently discovered that the instructions gave the wrong location for the CofG - which was why it kept trying to dive into the ground.....!!!

--
Pete

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

pchristy wrote: But is there anyway of setting so that cross trims are the default, rather than having to program it separately for each model?
No
pchristy wrote: You don't want the trims varying depending on which model you select....!
Yep I actually do! I only use cross trim on the "touchy" models, the others get "normal" trims.
pchristy wrote:My problem occurred on the first flight of a new model. I subsequently discovered that the instructions gave the wrong location for the CofG
It's impressive how often that happens, when it's pretty much the single only thing you really need from the manufacturer...
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: Cross trims?

Post by jhsa »

Kilrah wrote: Yep I actually do! I only use cross trim on the "touchy" models, the others get "normal" trims.
you must have a very good memory to remember which have normal trims and which have crossed trims. Or you don't have too many models. :) Either way you are asking for trouble :D :mrgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Only one model with crossed trims. Had a 2nd but sold it since...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I normally love having options that can be set differently for every model, and I think I actually asked Mike if it would be possible to add it to Er9x/Ersky9x some time ago. But I have been thinking about it more carefully and I have changed my mind. I think it can actually be dangerous (for the model). If we don't fly a model for a while, we tend to even forget the switch assignment and for sure we will forget that a certain model uses crossed trim. If we always use it, then we won't probably forget as it is set for all models.
I am glad now that Mike discarded my request.. :)

Maybe the best way to do it in openTX is to create a template in companion that has all the basic settings, and build your models from there. Still a problem with models people download from the forums though..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

pchristy wrote:Yes, my Ace MicroPro (1995!) has the instant trim feature - you can even vary the slew rate. I thought the Taranis had it, but I'm not sure where its hidden!

--
Pete
Its in Special Functions. Scroll down the list of Actions.
pchristy

Post by pchristy »

thebriars0: Thanks for that! I must have a closer look....

Re: my request for an option to cross trims by default. I think this could be a useful option - just like we have the option to change the channel order (mine is TAER, rather than the default). Just because the option is there doesn't mean you have to use it, but I would get terribly confused if, on a given transmitter, some models had crossed trims and others didn't. And I still think that crossed trims are ergonomically better than the default - but that's down to personal choice.

I don't know if any of the developers read these threads - if not, how does one make suggestions to them? Its something I would like to suggest as an option.

--
Pete
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Kilrah is one of them, so I guess you just did.. Maybe better you also do it on the opentx github page..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
mcddd

Post by mcddd »

Add another to the list for making crossed trims a default setup option, or at least a global function. For electric models the crossed trims work great since the T-Trim function isn't needed. But for gas/glow engines where the throttle trim is only effective at idle, selecting the T-Trim function doesn't follow the selected trim input for the throttle channel. Instead the T-Trim function always affects the THR trim regardless of which trim input device is assigned to the throttle channel. The result is that when cross trims are selected the T-Trim function ends up affecting the elevator channel trim instead of the throttle channel trim.
rcgyuk

Post by rcgyuk »

You can't use instant trim and cross trims at the same time. Instant trims affects the wrong functions. I have asked for this feature several times over the years, without success.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”