ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
jhsa

Re: ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

Post by jhsa »

Can you please share what you did? Specially if you have it working on a "Nano" board.. :)

Thanks

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The source files are now on Github. I have recently created a 'next' branch, and I'm updating this with changed source files, so the idea is the 'next' branch will have the source files for the latest 'test' version posted, and I did make the 'next' branch up to date 8 days ago.

"flybabo" has been looking at the code and come up with a different way of handling the switches, particularly the way modified switches from 2-pos to 3-pos. His code saves over 400 bytes of flash, but it is not quite correct at present and needs some improvement.
While he does this, I haven't updated the source files, but since the new code is conditionally compiled I can do so to the 'next' branch, so I will do so soon. Since these changes are very likely to need an EEPROM change, I'm making them conditional on compiling er9x V2, where I have significant changes, including an EEPROM change.

Should you be interested in the current state of V2, then you may just compile with V2=YES added to the make command line.
If you flash the V2 version (called mbtx!), make sure you have backed up your existing EEPROM first as it will re-format it.

While V2 is no smaller, code has been saved, and the space re-used to rationalise things. You get both timers with a full set of triggers (and a reset switch I think), and also things like the 'AND' switch in logical switches is now done properly, rather than be limited to only certain switches.

I still need to do changes to eepe to have a V2 version of that available.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Thanks Mike,

I will give it a try.
As I have quite a handful of modifications that I always manually to refit, I need really some time to modify a 'released' code. Maybe I wait antil the official code is available

João,

I used that Arduino on the picture above; Nano V3.0 with a FTDI chip FT232 RL on the backside.
I have built it according to your wireing diagram and the only diode that I needed is Diode D1 between Arduino RX and Pin 28 of the main board.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Strange.. with my FTDI and the pro mini board I needed a diode between the module and the radio and 2 diodes between the module and the FTDI..
I'm surprised my nano didn't work. But it has a CH340 chip instead of the FTDI chip.
I'm curious now and feel like breadboarding it again and try it :)
But I don't have so much time at the moment :(

João
EDIT: If you feel like writing a little tutorial of what you have done and some photos, I will be more than happy to add it to the first post ;)

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

My voice module is not yet fully functional :(
Voice and backup/restore of models does work even though backup hangs every third/fourth time and I must power off/on to recover. I recognized that when I tried to save all 10 models, one after the other, to the card.

BUT communication via USB does not work.
I can't read the models to the PC nor can I flash a new bootloader to the M328
When I try to flash (I have set the parameters according to your pictures) I get a
stk500_getsync(); not in sync:resp=0x1F

THis is how the three main chips are connected with each other
connections.jpg
And this are signals that I can see, when I try to flash a bootloader via USB(COM-Port)
The lower trace is at Pin 2 (Rx) of the Arduino board and the upper trace is on the M128 processor pin 28 (Tx) just on the other side of the diode.
Flash Bootloader via USB-Com Port.JPG
Can this be correct?

Reinhard

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, this is not easy, as I said I spent days trying to make this work.. The way I did it by trial and error might not be the most correct way of doing it, but it works. ;)

Please try this:
ArduVoice_schem_FTDI_1.jpg
If it still doesn't work, try this:
ArduVoice_schem_FTDI_2.jpg
I hope it helps.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When you want to access the Sd card from the PC, start the radio with both horizontal trims held towards the centre. This stops the main processor from running and accessing the sound module, so leaving the serial interface fully available for the access from the PC.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I'm afraid, that will be the case.

I will start with option 1, that is Diode 2. I hope I can solder it onto the Arduino board.
Place for a diode.JPG
The red marked line is the Tx line of the RL232 chip to the 1k resistor array. It should be possible to cut the trace and solder a diode into the path.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

MikeB wrote:When you want to access the Sd card from the PC, start the radio with both horizontal trims held towards the centre. This stops the main processor from running and accessing the sound module, so leaving the serial interface fully available for the access from the PC.

Mike.
Reinhard, please try this before. I was assuming this is the way you were trying to connect to the module.

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Yes I did. I had tried it with "bootloader" displayed on the display

And I tried with a D2 Diode that I soldered onto the Arduino board directly at the Tx pin of the RL232.
It even got worse, but at that time I recognized that the Arduino wasn't detected at all from Windows and decided I might have killed the Arduino. Continued with another one, but yet without the diode....because....

There is something that totally irritates me.

When I power the Arduino module by plugging the USB cable in, Windows everytime finds the the module and installs a COM port for it.
But when I power up the module externally (from the radio) and then plug the USB cable into the already powered module, Windows never identifies the module. It recognizes that an USB device has been plugged and displays the error message that an unknow device has been attached. No drivers are loaded for the module.
After a successfull initialization (Module unpowered, USB cable plugged, Module correctly detected) powering on the external power is accepted and the modules stays recognized.
Now leaving the external power on, I can unplug and replug the USB cable as often as I want, and Windows will identify the module every time.

And to make that clear, this happens with the Nano module alone with nothing attached but power.

It also doesn't make a difference if I feed the Aduino with the +5v input or with +8v via the raw input pin.
I even installed the bootloader from the Arduino IDE, but same effect.

To run in bootloader mode, you have to power on the radio before you plug the USB cable. But then, Windows doesn't identify the module anymore. No wonder (for the moment) that communication with windows doesn't work in bootloader mode.

I'm running out of ideas.

But the most important thing for me, finally is, that voice and backup restore to the SD card does work (backup at least most of the time).
USB is not that important to me, but, as it's there, it would be nice if it did what it is expected to do.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Do you have a pro mini you can try?

As I said, I could never make the nano work.. You already got much further than I did with it.. Ok, my nano was not an original..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I just tried my module, started the radio with the horizontal trims towards the center, connected the USB cable to the FTDI that is inside the radio (battery bay), Started "Serial SD" in eepe, selected the right COM port, updated the list and all the models on the SD Card just appeared. Downloaded and deleted a couple and all works very well..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

jhsa wrote:I just tried my module, started the radio with the horizontal trims towards the center, connected the USB cable to the FTDI that is inside the radio (battery bay), Started "Serial SD" in eepe, selected the right COM port,
João
Up to here I can recreate it. I plugged in the USB cable (radio off) and powered the module. COM port was created. Started Serial SD and List Mode

Backlight of Radio display shortly switched off and on again.
PC Display shows:
Monitor
xx|xx|
xx|xx|xx|

where the "x" is an empty square box sign for an unprintable character
List mode does not work.

But I just tried to send files and it does work (with the exception that the first file ends with an error and when it continues with the next file, all further files are sent. I know this problem as it is all the same with my other radios)

Will check if I have a different arduino available.
btw. my nano v3.0 is also a "compatible" one

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ReSt wrote: Up to here I can recreate it. I plugged in the USB cable (radio off) and powered the module. COM port was created. Started Serial SD and List Mode
I turn the radio ON first and then connect the USB cable. I think i only have RX/TX/GND connections between the FTDI and the ArduVoiced. That means I can't power the voice module by connecting the USB cable.
Backlight of Radio display shortly switched off and on again.
PC Display shows:
Monitor
xx|xx|
xx|xx|xx|

where the "x" is an empty square box sign for an unprintable character
I think Mike still didn't implement a bootloader in the m2561 version, so my screen shows "Stopped" when I turn the radio ON with the horizontal trims to the center.

But I just tried to send files and it does work (with the exception that the first file ends with an error and when it continues with the next file, all further files are sent. I know this problem as it is all the same with my other radios)
So, you can send a file but can't receive anything?
Can you send a model?

btw. my nano v3.0 is also a "compatible" one
Mine are not original and also do not have the FTDI chip.. They have those CH340 chips..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

My cable that I use supplies +5volt. And all the Arduinos that I used up to now (with built in USB) power on when connected to the USB cable (connected to the running PC)

I found another Arduino to try. It's also a Nano. but not a V3.0 and obviously from a different manufacturer.
It doesn't have the FTDI chip, but the CH340G

This Arduino connects without any problems to windows when connected to the USB cable or powered up before externally from the radio. :P

I have plugged it into my voice module and it works (voice, backup/restore).

But still it's missing some USB functions.
With the radio started in bootloader mode and eePe Serial SD I can upload files (*.wav, *.eepm) but not download anything useful.
List models displays the 'some hex values' as described above.

But when I upload, always the first file doesn't work, it starts and I get a string of 6 times "1f0 180" and then the error popup "no sync ok". I click ok and upload starts with the next file and proceeds until all files are uploaded.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Only Mike can say what the error means.. You could try the diode on the RX line of the FTDI. See the direction of the diode in the schematics..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Yes, I think so.
But will take some time as I'm off for some days.

Reinhard
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

So, I'm back now and have added a diode between USB chip and ATMega chip (corresponding to D2)

It doesn't change a thing. Neither better not worse.

But today when I started, I was able for one single time, to get the model names displayed on my PC. And that happened with the radio in normal mode, not bootloader mode.

I'm afraid, that the problem is with my diodes. They are not BAT85 but have a higher forward residual voltage of around 0.75 Volt. On the scope, when I try to download the modelnames, I can see a short pulse chain where the low level of the pulses is around 0.8 volts. Maybe, this is to high to be correctly recognized as low signal. I just ordered some BAT85 on eBay but that will take some weeks before they arrive. And there is another strange thing with the Tx signal coming from the USB chip passing the diode. While the negative going slope is fast, the positive going part looks like a loading curve of a capacitor. But there is no capacitor in the signal path. I already removed the capacitor and even the resistor on the MB (and I shorted the serial resistor on the Arduino) that is in the path but with no visible effect.
It looks like there is only a very high impedance resistor as a pullup in the USB chip. With an external pullup resistor of around 2k the signal looked much better, but the low signal level also increased a bit.

So I will have to wait untill I get the diodes and then will replace them both and see what happens.
If it doesn't work then, I will leave it as it is, The most important things are working.

btw, Mike,

would it be possible on eePe in case the communication fails when trying to upload a wave or model file to have a Retry option in the error popup, so that the program tries to resend the same file it just failed to send ?
(background: when I try to upload files, communication always fails when it tries to establish communication with the radio to download the very first file. The error message pops up with only option "ok". When this is clicked, the program immediately starts to upload the next and all remaining files without any further problem. There is no problem with the 'first' file as it is always uploaded when it is not the first one).

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Reinhard, I remember having a problem with displaying the model names.. Please try another SD Card, A different brand if possible..

If you want I can mail you a few diodes. I think I still have some. They are not BAT85 but are working on my module..

Cheers

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

0.8 volts should be OK. A logic 0 is below 0.3V VCC, which is 0.99 volts even when powered from 3.3V.

I've made a note about doing a retry in my "ToDo" list.

I use a RS232 serial connection with the transistors buffering to I/O on my voice module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Thanks João and Mike

I anyway will need some of the diodes, so, thanks for the offer, but I will wait for my ordered ones.

So it normally should work with that down level.
I will see if the other diodes make a difference and post the result.

Reinhard
nppc

Post by nppc »

Just a small update on an issues with cheap Chinese SD card readers.
I had to add a capacitor (47uf) and choke coil (22uh) to the 5v line. It, first of all, helped me with some SD cards that did not worked. Now any card I use with this reader is working excellent. Also with some boards I get a noise while playing a voice. With this mod no any noise anymore.

So, I cut the 5V line going from pin header to the voltage regulator, and soldered there a coil. Capacitor is in parallel to the 5V and GND.
Actually this LC filter can be installed before 5V enters SD Card. Then no need to cut any tracks on board.

Pavel
Attachments
Modification to the cheap SD card reader adding an LCD filter to the power lines
Modification to the cheap SD card reader adding an LCD filter to the power lines
afon

Post by afon »

Hi all!

Here is my version of ArduVoice-9X based on SMD PCB for ArduSound layout.

First test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pMFtAroRAk
Final result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSIFyKOeDcM
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Very nice indeed. But you didn't use the serial communication between the module and radio? I can see you are still using the LCD lines. You would gain a couple pins to add a couple more switches to the radio. Also with serial is just a 2 wire connection to the radio processor. And it allows backing up and restoring models to/from the Sd Card, and communication to the PC via eepskye..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
nppc

Post by nppc »

Very neat looking implementation afon and clear sound!
BTW: afon is using OpenTx and there is not possible to use Serial connection as far as I know.
Pavel
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ahhh, didn't realize that before.. sorry :(
Yeah, only er9x allows 2 wire serial communication, model backup to the SD Card and addition of extra switches to the radio..

Yes, the sound is very clear.. Very nice.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
NvdGoorbergh

Post by NvdGoorbergh »

Hi All. I would-be love to see my turnigy talk!!
But man, im not really sure of that would even be possible on my Side ;).
Im not sure how I should start.
I was Reading through the comments and I saw someone saying that you need the telemetry mod for this?
So the frsky djt or dht alone will not suffice?

Im now on the ipad but tomorrow i will download the documentation of the first post and see if I can make something of it.
planger

Post by planger »

Hi,
I'm looking at the ArduVoice module since I'm running out of models in my 9XR. I still have a lot of free EEPROM space but 16 models are just not enough...
I have a couple of questions:
1. 9XR has a built in and working backlight function. Do I really need to connect the backlight on this module instead for it to work after the mod is activated?
2. I'm not planning to add the voice/amp part at least not for now. I'm thinking the internal beeper is still working since it's an input of your current design, right?
Regards, Pascal
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

planger wrote: 1. 9XR has a built in and working backlight function. Do I really need to connect the backlight on this module instead for it to work after the mod is activated?
In the current version of er9x, yes, you would need to connect the backlight to the voice module..
2. I'm not planning to add the voice/amp part at least not for now. I'm thinking the internal beeper is still working since it's an input of your current design, right?
Regards, Pascal
If you don't build the amp circuit you would have to leave the original beeper in place..
You would have "Megasound" as sound mode in the audiohaptic menu for the model backup to work..
What I don't know is as the radio is expecting the voice to be active even if the amp is not there, the beeper would sound.. I think the radio wouldn't beep, but maybe can confirm that..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It should still beep. The beeps (and audio sounds) are still sent to the stock beeper. We normally remove that and wire the beeper signal to the MegaSound board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “er9x”