ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

er9x is the best known firmware. It has a superb range of features and is well supported by the community. Well worth trying out.
jhsa

Re: ArduVoice-9x Voice Module with Arduino for the 9x Radio

Post by jhsa »

Ahhhh, now I understand.. Sorry :)

Believe me, I had maaaany problems with the SD card and the communication with the PC. And I also had a bad SD Card..
But you say that is working, did you already do the telemetry mod?
Did you try backing up a model to the SD Card? and then restoring it to the radio?
To restore a model you must select and empty memory slot..
I'm really glad you've got it working. Also your speaker looks like a good one.
Don't forget to share your board with us :) ;)
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

nppc

Post by nppc »

Sure! Here is my project.

I'm using OpenTx in my Turnigy 9X, so I did not consider serial connection at the moment. Also I have Speaker, Haptic, FrSky, LCD mod already done in TX. This means that my schematic is missing diodes for RX/TX lines (I have a space for one diode, but not using at the moment). For LCD backlight I already had a mod in TX, so I do not have a transistor for it on my Sound module.

I have made a small PCB to fit it under Arduino Pro Mini. You can get it from here: SMD PCB for ArduSound
It is really small, so, to DIY it you should have ability to solder 0603 smd components. When you order from OSHPark you receive 3 pieces of PCB. So, I assembled all three - this is fun for me. I like SMD! 8-)

Also you need Arduino Pro Mini board. PCB made for old type of PCB where pins A4 and A5 is inside and not at the edge of board.
Arduino's original bootloader should be reflashed to optiboot loader. Works both versions of optiboot: original, from Arduino IDE, and modified, that you can download from this thread.

The firmware I used is original (not Serial) for 16 Mhz board. You can download it from here Original Firmware or to use .hex file attached to this message.

I'm not covering Arduino flashing procedure, because it already covered in this thread, and in many others. ;)

The connection of the board to the TX also covered many times, for example here: Connections to 9X.
You just should remember, that for LCD Backlight I do not included transistor on the Sound PCB, because I already have it in TX after LCD Backlight mod.

And also you need to get SD card breakout. I get it on Ebay very cheap. It also was mentioned here that Card breakout board should be 5V tolerant.

All connections you should made is marked on PCB:
PCB with marked connections
PCB with marked connections
GND - connected to TX GND
RAW - connected to TX Battery voltage
D0-D3 - connection to the LCD lines of TX
PB7 - connection to TX under the low right corner of MCU
BL - Backlight transistor base
BEEP - signal from Speaker output (I have done Speaker mod already).
SP+/SP- - speaker connection

GND, +5v, SCK, MISO, MOSI, CS - is a SD Card breakout board connection.

Sound files I"m using is 44100Hz, 16 bit. mono. They are no problem on 16MHZ Arduino. Excellent quality!

Also adding here some more photos...

Now it is time to install it to TX... :P

Pavel

Ah yes... You also can choose what voltage to feed to the Op Amp - 5 volts or TX battery voltage. There is a green 0 Ohm resistor. I'm feeding TX battery voltage (LiFe 3S).
Attachments
All together
All together
Assembled Side 2
Assembled Side 2
Assembled Side 1
Assembled Side 1
PCB Side 2 (facing to the Arduino board
PCB Side 2 (facing to the Arduino board
ArduinoMegaSound9X.pdf
Schematic for my PCB
(25 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
amod_last_16MHz.hex
Firmware that I used
(20.65 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Very nice and small Pavel. If you used the serial it would even be smaller as many of the components aren't needed anymore. You would also be able to have two more switches on your radio using the free pins on the voice module (ex LCD lines), and also replace one or two 2 way switches on the 9x with 3 way switches as there are some other pins available on the 9x mainboard itself. Ahh, and backing up your models to the SD Card. But only er9x support all this at this time of course.. :)

Your board is a very tidy little one. Very nice ;)

The reason I started with this project was to provide a voice module that is easier to build for those who can't do fine soldering. Therefore I have chosen only through hole components and stripboard. But it is nice to see that also the people that can do fine soldering are using the idea ;) :D

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
nppc

Post by nppc »

jhsa wrote:The reason I started with this project was to provide a voice module that is easier to build for those who can't do fine soldering. Therefore I have chosen only through hole components and stripboard. But it is nice to see that also the people that can do fine soldering are using the idea ;) :D
Yes, I understand and I like your approach. 8-)
But I wanted to make a board for me, and I do not like to etch own PCBs or make it on a breadboard. So, I created a board for smd and ordered it on OSHPark ($4.20 for three pcs). I made PCB available if here is other crazy smd guys... :geek:

Also I do not want to switch to another firmware on my TX now, because it is the flying season at the moment. Maybe later I consider to try again Er9X.
But I'm sure that my PCB will also work in Serial mode. I will only miss the possibility to connect my radio to the PC via serial connection.
Later, if I really feel need in this I just make another board. This is our DIY hobby :D

Thank you again for the brilliant idea to make Sound board with Arduino! :P
Pavel
nppc

Post by nppc »

João, I want to thank you again for this idea, to make sound mod so cheap!
I do not understand how I was flying without voice before! :o It is totally new flying experiece.
I do not need to look to the TX screen at all during flying. Everything I need - I'm getting in voice! 8-)

I think, flying gliders it is a must have upgrade for your TX. Now I hear my altitude every time, when it changes for more than 8 meters. Together with vario sounds it is so cool to not only see, but also to hear your gliders lift! 8-)

Goodbye time, when I was searching my glider in the sky after I looked to my TX screen for a moment. :lol:

Thanks a lot to all, who contributed to this amazing project! :D

Pavel

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That's one big advantage of having your radio speaking, you keep your eyes on your model all the time :)
But all credits for the voice go to Mike and Oliver, even the ArduVoice. I might have had the idea but now way I would have done it without Mike.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I have been analysing the schematic (attached to the very first post) for the ArduVoice-9x voice module so I can get an understanding of how it works and I have a few queries. These queries may be already answered elsewhere, but I have not been able to find those answers.

These queries are the result of me trying to understand the inner workings of the ArduVoice and should not be read as criticisms of the design … ;)

[tab=30]What type of signal (is it 22 kHz/353kbs WAV audio?) emerges from pin D6 (PWM) – into R6 (560K) and R7 (470K) in parallel - (which is equivalent to a 255K)?

[tab=30]I assume that the components R6, R7, C4, C5, R8, R9, C6 form a bandpass audio filter? If so, why is R6 & R7 not replaced with a single 240K or 270K, given that the tolerance of C4 is at best only +- 5% and thus such a precise value for this resistor is not really necessary?

[tab=30]The characteristics of that filter look odd to me – do you know what its design parameters were? I am guessing that the filter is required to pass the voice frequencies (200 Hz to 4,000 Hz) and attenuate the 22 kHz artifacts?

[tab=30]What type of signal (is it also WAV audio?) emerges from pin D5 (PWM) – into R5 (1k)?

[tab=30]What type of signal (is it audio or pulses?) emerges from A4 and A5 to the beeper and the LM386 inverted input?

[tab=30]Are A4 and A5 used to control the volume of the beeper audio?

[tab=30]If an audio amplifier and speaker is being used for all of the audio, is there any need for the beeper to be connected too?

[tab=30]I understand that there is a delay of about 0.5 seconds before the audio is heard, hence it cannot be used for button-press feedback?

Cheers,

Taipan
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

D5 and D6 output the .wav data in 8-bit, PWM format, D5 outputs the high 8-bit of a 16-bit value and D6 outputs the low 8-bit. The choice of R5, R6 and R7 is such that these are then mixed together in the correct ratio to construct the required audio value. The other resistors and capacitors for a low-pass filter to remove the PWM frequency (62.5kHz from a 16MHz crystal).
A4 and A5 are indeed used to control the volume of the beeper audio. The voice output volume is controlled by software scaling of the .wav data.
The original stock beeper should be disconnected or removed.
Not only is there a delay before a voice file is played, but the complexity of outputting both voice and button press feedback at the same time is too great to code easily, if at all possible.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Hi Mike,
MikeB wrote:D5 and D6 output the .wav data in 8-bit, PWM format, D5 outputs the high 8-bit of a 16-bit value and D6 outputs the low 8-bit. The choice of R5, R6 and R7 is such that these are then mixed together in the correct ratio to construct the required audio value. The other resistors and capacitors form a low-pass filter to remove the PWM frequency (62.5kHz from a 16MHz crystal).
Ah, now I get it .... :D So R5, R6 and R7 are not part of the band-pass filter, but are required to precisely mix the D5 and D6 outputs to reconstruct the audio and to minimise the digital to analogue conversion artifacts.
MikeB wrote:A4 and A5 are indeed used to control the volume of the beeper audio. The voice output volume is controlled by software scaling of the .wav data. The original stock beeper should be disconnected or removed.
Looks like I have mis-read the schematic - I thought that the arrow on the schematic labelled "Beeper" was a signal feed to the beeper from the Pro-Mini. But now it seems that it is a signal feed from the disconnected beeper? In other words, the signal that used to go to the beeper is now routed to the inverting input of the LM386 via an attenuator that is controlled by the Pro-Mini?

Thanks for your help in clearing up my confusion ... ;)

Taipan
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I have assembled an ArduVoice module, mostly with used parts, unsoldered from other boards.

So it would be nice if I could test the basic functions of the standalone board before I wire it into the radio.

Is there a test version of the code available, that does e.g. play some wave files from the sd card, switches the backlight on and off and outputs some data over the serial lines that go to the main board ?

Or is the source code already available so I could try to make such a testversion by myself?

Reinhard
UPSIDE.JPG
BACKSIDE.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Not that I remember :( As far as I remember, Mike sent a few versions during development but I had it always connected to the radio. Maybe it could be possible to use an arduino to send commands to the voice module over serial? I don't know how to code it though.. But that would be a good idea to test the module.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I will post a link to where I think the source code is. Give me some minutes.
Also, I can see that you are using a nano. Is that the real nano with a FTDI chip or the one with the other chip? I could never make that work. Better use a arduino pro mini. It might save you some headaches and frustration :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I'm not sure, but you can try here..

https://github.com/MikeBland/mbtx/tree/master/amod

If that isn't the latest version with serial then we have to ask Mike if he posted them somewhere else..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The latest source code is here: https://github.com/MikeBland/mbtx/tree/master/amod.

If you compile it with
#define TESTING 1
then yes you can test it stand alone.

I have a batch file in the amod/obj directory:
MAKE -f ..\makefile clean
MAKE -f ..\makefile SPEED=16 SERIAL=1
MAKE -f ..\makefile SPEED=16
MAKE -f ..\makefile SERIAL=1
MAKE -f ..\makefile

If SPEED is not specified, then 12MHz is used.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Thanks João and Mike
I will try it.

Reinhard
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

jhsa wrote: Also, I can see that you are using a nano. Is that the real nano with a FTDI chip or the one with the other chip? I could never make that work. Better use a arduino pro mini. It might save you some headaches and frustration :)

João
Should be one with FTDI chip.
That's one more reason for 'standalone' testing

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah ;) I had a radio open at the time because I was also playing with hall sensors instead of pots on the gimbals. I was going to modify the voice module I had there anyway to work with serial, so I've removed it. Then I just had to solder a couple wires to test the ArduVoice :)
I haven't put the other module in the radio as the ArduVoice is still working very well..

One of the problems with the nano as far as I remember was that the FTDI circuit was loading the serial lines. That is why I used some diodes between the FTDI and the module. On the nano is difficult to add them as it is only one board and I wanted this module to be easier to build.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Compiled the code with "#define TESTING 1"

Sound module powered from USB

Backlight LED is blinking and there is a sound, but very very low volume and distorted. You have to hold the speaker onto your ear to hear it. :(
Input signal voltage on pin3 of LM386 is about 4 volt pp but on the output pi there is only about 50mV pp, even with no speaker attached.

Voltage on Input 2 (+) of the LM386 is 0 Volt as A4 and A5 both are 0 Volt.
I moved R2 from A4 pin to A3 pin that has +5 volt and then the voice is clearly understandable but still that low.
I opend up the connection from output pin to C8 in case the capacitor was bad, but no change.

Is it correct, that in the standalone test version A4 and A5 have low level all the time?

So for the moment, it looks like I have a bad LM386

On the other side, I started Hyperterminal with 38400bd via the virtual COM port of the FTDI Chip and I get a continous stream of character "X" (hex 58) and one Hex 80 everytime when the stream restarts after the voice has played.

Should I get any reaction to any kind of keyboard action?

Reinhard
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

From memory, I think typing one of the digits (0-9), should play the file 0000.wav to 0009.wav.
I assume you have checked for any possible short on the LM386 output pin.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Once I had a similar.problem when I built the first prototype, but then realized I connected the resistors that receive the audio from the arduino to wrong pins of the arduino. Or at least one of the resistors, can't remember precisely what happened.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I checked for shorts everywhere and found nothing.
Now I have wired a second amplifier in parallel (inputs and power) and open output. It's all the same.

I made an errror in my previous post. The signal amplitude at the inputpin 3 of the amplifier is not 4.0 volt but 0.4 volts. But output is the same.

When R2/R3 are connected to A4/A5 as shown in the diagram, the output of the amplifier looks like a one way rectified AC, only some single pulses ascending from 0 volt.
When I connect R2 to A5 (that has high signal) there is a normal signal, but also to low amplitude.

I will check everything again.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

R2 and R3 are part of the beeper volume control.. They have nothing to do with the voice..

Voice comes out of the arduino through Digital pins D5 and D6, resistors R5 (1K) and the parallel of R6 and R7. Then the signal is filtered and goes to pin 3 from the amplifier..

make sure you have R5, R6, and R7 connected to the correct arduino pins and that they are the correct value..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Voice signal was ok on the input pin of the amplifier.

I believe I found the reason. The LM386 output is supposed to have 1/2 of the supply voltage. But on my amplifier, with 5 volt supply, is only about 1 volt.

I disassembled the complete module and rebuilt it, using sockets for the amp and the Arduino and using another LM386.
And now it plays loud and clear. :P But the module is about 5mm higher than before.

But now I recognize something else, where I don't know if that is or will become a problem.

(The FTDI interface - Pin27/28 to the MB - is only connected internally to the USB module, nothing else.)

When I power the voice module from a battery and connect the USB cable, it is not correctly recognized by Windows ("USB-Gerät wurde nicht erkannt")
When it's powered from USB alone, It is recognized and communicates with Hyperterminal. But keystrokes (1-9) do not change the voice file that is played.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

One of the reasons I didn't use a nano is that different FTDI devices need (as per my experiments) different diode combination on the TX/RX lines, as without them the lines seem to load the serial signal. Please see the first post. On the nano you can't do that, or it is very difficult which goes against this thing being easy to build ;) :)
So, the best is to use a arduino Pro-mini and one of those chinese FTDI boards. That is what I have and it is working..
I never managed to make my arduino nano work..
João

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I just discovered, that when I connect USB first until Windows has recognized the USB connection I then can power the module from the battery without loosing connection (Hyperterm)

I found that both signal lines from FTDI to RX/TX of the arduino have high level when idle.
I have added D3 and with this, at hte Arduino I can pull down both signal lines (Pin 27/28 to MB) to ground with a 300 Ohm resistor.
So an output pin from the MB should be able to drive the signal high and low

Will try it in the near future

Reinhard
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Now I have connected the voice module to my tx.

It partially works.
Im using the r818 version and a 9XR board, where some functions may possibly not yet work.
(the latest test version did not work differently when I started testing, but could possibly give different results now,after having removed the capacitors.

I already removed the two capacitors (C36/37) of the r/c combination of pin 27/28 because they strongly affected the wave form of the pulse (that I could see on pin27)

The rerouted trim up/down keys do work and the speaker beeps.
And I just discovered, that BACKUP Model works also (after having removed the capacitors). At least it creates a 2k *.eepm file in a 'models' directory

But NO VOICE
And the backlight is permanently ON. It can't be switched off.

(When I installe the "#define testing=1" version, the backlight is blinking and the voice is talking)

I found, when the radio is powered on, that there is no signal (besides +5volt high level) on the pin28 coming from the processor (except when I do a model backup).

I'm using the 9XR board. Is it possible that there is a difference between 9X and 9XR that create this effect?

Reinhard
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

I tried again the ,what I think, latest test version of the firmware (V1.497-Mike 05.09.2015 er9x-r819) and backup and restore are working and the created files do work in eePe :D

During backup/restore there is active communication signal on the Rx line of the Arduino

But still no voice

Don't know where to look further

Reinhard
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have you set M'sound Serial to ON in the Hardware menu?
This is available on the '128 and '2561 versions, the '64 version is compiled for either parallel or serial due to lack of flash memory.
The Hardware menu is only available if you power on holding the two horizontal trims APART.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

He is apparently using a 9XR board? if so it probably has a m128..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

That's correct.
And I recognized, that the test code I used was an M64 compilation (simply took the newest one)

I found the latest M128 version AND IT WORKS.

Backlight and voice are ok now. !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Backup and restore model also.

Thanks for your patience and help.

Mike,
as this voice module is in my 'vintage' radio where I had to make some modifications to the code, is there a time range when I can expect the r189 code to be commonly available?

btw. I did use only D1 in the signal path or Arduinos Rx signal and, as said above, had to remove the capacitors (to ground) near the processor.

Reinhard

Return to “er9x”