Reprogramming Giombal/Channel setup for Mode 2 on Turnigy 9x Transmitter

Hardware Support for the 9XR
levi

Post by levi »

Hi all,

I am building an RC Bicopter flying car and I would like to control both the flight system and drive system off of a single Turnigy 9x RC transmitter.

My flight system requires 4 channels for control and my drive system requires 2 channels (one for powering the wheels and one for steering).

I want to set up my transmitter so that Mode 1 uses channels 1-4 to control the flight system and then Mode 2 uses channels 5-6 for the drive system. This way I won't have to unplug any connections to the receiver between operating the vehicle in flight and drive mode.

Mode 1 is already set up and working where the gimbals control channels 1-4.

The problem is that when I switch over to Mode 2, the gimbals still output on channels 1-4 and I can't seem to change it so that my right gimbal will output on channel 5 to control the drive motor and my left gimbal will output to channel 6 to control the steering servo.

Does anyone know if I can reprogram my transmitter so that when I am on Mode 2 the gimbals output over channels 5 and 6?

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Stick mode only affects how the four stick axes work. Assigning to channels is something entirely separate. You've already chosen mode 1 for the model.

That means you've configured the sticks so right vertical is throttle. It should control throttle on the ground, while either left horizontal or right horizontal should be steering. Channel 5 is ground throttle (driving an ESC) and channel 6 is ground steering (driving a servo)

Then when you switch to go from air to ground, a single switch is used to reassign those channels and cancel the other two.

Should be a fairly simple bit of programming.

What firmware are you using? This needs er9x or OpenTX.
jhsa

Re: Reprogramming Giombal/Channel setup for Mode 2 on Turnigy 9x Transmitter

Post by jhsa »

He might have meant "Flight Modes 1 and 2?? Not stick mode?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Yes, you're right.

Either way, the challenge is to reassign the inputs. Assuming the channel order is AETR, then what's needed is something like the following:
CH1 100 Ail (switch RUD) flight control
CH2 100 Ele (switch RUD) flight control
CH3 100 Thr (switch RUD) flight control
CH4 100 Rud (switch RUD) flight control
CH5 100 Thr (switch !RUD) ground control ESC
CH6 100 Ail (switch !RUD) ground control steering

!RUD means switch reversed.

With RUD switch ON, the sticks control channels 1-4 and 5, 6 are OFF. With RUD switch OFF the RV and LH sticks control ground throttle and steering are active on channels 5 and 6 and the flight controls are off.

Of course there's more to it than this. I don't know how the flight controls are set up -- I assume some type of flight controller with individual ESCs plugged in. But the mixes should be simple. There might need to be a separate channel for FC mode to shut down the flight system. That might require shifting ground control to 6 and 7 or 7 and 8.

The ground controls would have to be set to -100 for channel for 5 and 0 for channel 6 when in flight mode. That would require appropriate mixes and offsets.

All this is guesswork, as we don't really know how the model works but it might give some ideas.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Also very important (I think) is that it should be impossible to switch from Bicopter to land vehicle, if the throttle is not closed.. That would prevent the model from falling from the sky if you accidentally turn the switch :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

There's quite a lot to think about!

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”