Turnigy 9XR General

Hardware Support for the 9XR
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by dvogonen »

Rob Thomson wrote: Let them have their radio. I have one, and to be honest. I don't really like it. Maybe it, is just habit, but a cannot get on with it. Buttons are rubbish. Pots and trims are hard to find in flight etc...
I also have one and I agree. The ergonomics is weird and the buttons are so utterly useless that you really have to install micro switches. This modification is much harder than installing backlight and a programmer in a 9x.

I firmly suggest that anyone deciding between a 9x or a 9xr picks the 9x!

But regardless of that, the 9xr is really good news to the open source community. I have seen several great open source projects dwindle and die when the hardware platform becomes obsolete. HobbyKing have invested a lot in the 9xr and will keep producing it for a long time. I am not so sure about the 9x. It looks outdated and FlySky may halt production at any moment and start producing something else., e.g that horrible transmitter with touchscreen they have been showing off on their website since last spring.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by MikeB »

Given that FrSky are brining out their transmitters, and they will be able to use the 'same' open source firmware, we will have a potential replacement for the 9x.

I haven't got, nor do I intend to buy, a 9xr. I have enough other things to do!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

If they had had any sense they would have sent you and a few others the first radios that came off the production line to ensure software support. That would have been the cheapest quality assurance and PR campaign ever.
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

MikeB wrote:Given that FrSky are brining out their transmitters, and they will be able to use the 'same' open source firmware, we will have a potential replacement for the 9x.

I haven't got, nor do I intend to buy, a 9xr. I have enough other things to do!

Mike.
Me too, I'm waiting for the FrSky Tx's.

I must admit it's been fascinating to watch the 9XR saga. The wildy unrealistic expectations of a $50 radio, the angst, the anger, the hope, the betrayal, the vitriol.

Contrast that with the impending launch of the FrSky radios.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

dvogonen wrote:If they had had any sense they would have sent you and a few others the first radios that came off the production line to ensure software support. That would have been the cheapest quality assurance and PR campaign ever.
Funny... That's exactly what frsky have done.

The difference is probably more that frsky are a small company. HK are a giant.

But be sure... Frsky where wise to get feedback. There initial reactions and feedback over the past 2 months will no doubt make the product much better!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I hope Frsky is reading all the posts and learns how to not release a system designed to sell for $50.
I expect to pay the $100-150 range their price, or mine if its higher end.
I suppose it could be more if it ends up in direct competition with the big radio companies products. We've all spent much more then that in man hours modifying our 9x to get high end features. As much "fun" as it has been for most of us, it would be nice to have it all done and working out of the box.
As for future mod fun, I'm getting my fill repairing local club members botched 9x mods so I'm good for some time to come ha ha.

From the leaked info it would seem Frsky has listened so now we just wait.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
kaos

Post by kaos »

easy fix. stop developing the 9XR. for those in this community already has a 9XR, use pm to improve yours and just post 'this has a way to fix it'. people have to come here to use PM. ;) Let the HK do their own development/site. the are still selling the old faithful T9X. With all the things I read about 9XR, I have no interest in it at all.
Unleash the SKY9X board to the fullest extent. We will have a transmitter that beats any expensive Tx. May be we can even find a factory to make a good gimbal in China to replace the gimbal. ;)
If any one knows the factory manufacture those aurora gimbal, I will be glad to contact them (I assume those are also oem at china). I have a few friends in China in the electronic business. and I have direct long distance phone call to china for free. ;)
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Rob Thomson wrote:
I look forward, to the x9d by frsky.

+1000 on that note. I can't wait until April. By the time a guy takes a 9x and replaces the main board with sky9x, replaces the gimbals with aurora gimbals, replaces the switches with Futaba switches, put a custom paint job on it :D :D -- It's not so bad, but it's not so cheap anymore either. O ya, and the $15 for custom switch nuts.
photo.JPG
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Now, that's nuts :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Another batch of 9xr's are in stock. That's twice in the last week. I imagine with chinese new year coming up things will slow down for a bit. I am surprised they are still in stock when I check. back when 9x OG was backordered nearly 1K, they never stayed in stock. Wonder if they arent moving as fast as was expected ?

email was 30 minutes old and said only 32 units in stock. website still shows +10. I'm not in the market for one at this time. PS- looks like you can only order one unit
hageha

Post by hageha »

[quote="dvogonen"]
I installed another kind of micro push buttons that worked fine, even if they were on the verge of being to large (4*4*1.5mm). The super low height made them a perfect fit. The best thing about them was the price. $3.50 on ebay including postage from China. For 100!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150971842919?ss ... 1497.l2649

I received this push buttons.
They are not, as stated 4 x 4 mm x1.5 mm The dimensions of the components are: 5 x 5 x 1.5 mm!
Of which I have 50 pieces.

Are your push buttons really that small?

Even the radio 9XR arrived today. I'm going to sell it immediately.
Helle

Post by Helle »

hy,

ich habe Interesse an 15 Tasten
bin aus ULM
Bitte PM
Danke

Helle
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

hageha wrote:I received this push buttons.
They are not, as stated 4 x 4 mm x1.5 mm The dimensions of the components are: 5 x 5 x 1.5 mm!
Of which I have 50 pieces.

Are your push buttons really that small?
I just measured them and the buttons I installed are indeed 5x5x1.5, not 4x4x1.5.
The ebay seller specified the wrong size, or sent the wrong buttons!
This means that 5x5x1.5 buttons will fit well. Smaller buttons would fit even better.
hageha

Post by hageha »

The Seller wrote this:
See our picture of dimensions where there is inner square of 4x4mm (actual 3.8x3.8) and outer square of 5x5mm (actual 5.2x5.2). The item in the market is named as either 4x4x1.5 or 5.2x5.2x1.5 depending on inner or outer square. When you search on eBay website, all named as 4x4x1.5 are actually 5x5x1.5 outer dimension.

There is a datasheet on his ebay site! (Footprint)
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I received my buttons and my gosh they are small. Knowing the size and see them is ... well.. intimidating. I wonder how long I'll need to abstain from caffeine before I try to solder them. :D
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Just counter with lots of alcohol. Might not steady your hand, but you wouldn't worry about it! :lol:

Ted
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Ha ha ha :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Scott Page wrote:I received my buttons and my gosh they are small. Knowing the size and see them is ... well.. intimidating. I wonder how long I'll need to abstain from caffeine before I try to solder them. :D
They are easy to solder. Nothing else around them on the pcb!

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Is it me.... Or does the HK forum for the 9XR seem rather quiet at the moment?

:-)

rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

It aint you :P
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
Wimh

Post by Wimh »

It's been very quiet for a while already...
I got mine today. Works ok, but I do notice the cross giving double inputs when you're not careful. Scratches/cracks are nothing to worry about. Switches at the back not placed well at all. It's an ergonomic disaster really...
Unfortunately my programmer was held up one day longer at customs,so did not reach the post office in time although it was sent 2 weeks earlier... So still need to wait to try it "on the field" as I want to install Open 9X...
Wim
Belgium
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

General comment: from the pictures of the wiring of the programming connections I think the 9XR has the programming groun connected to ANALOG ground not DIGITAL ground. There is an inductor (L2) between them. This may cause problems programming, particularly at higher programming speeds.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”