Turnigy 9XR General

Hardware Support for the 9XR
HC1969

Re: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by HC1969 »

jhsa wrote:Looks like the pads are missing :o :shock:
Or update! :lol:
http://rc.emiter.hu/ (MegaSound 9X, GCL-2, FrSky-RSSI-DAC, etc.) Keress fel!

Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

Power Jacket,
Flash connector
Batterie connector

all "updated" :mrgreen:

Helle
Attachments
9xr_power_connectors001.jpg
SkyNorth

Post by SkyNorth »

You got to love that FLYSKY is building these for HK
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

My slow boat shipping 9xr just arrived in my home town. Should hopefully have it by tomorrow.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

At customs here. Might have it on Monday with a bit of luck.

Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

You're both way ahead of me. Mine was "Processed Through Sort Facility" in Hong Kong TODAY!!! FrSKY will have their X16D out before this thing arrives. :lol:
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Turnigy 9XR General

Post by dvogonen »

Mine hasn't even gotten that far. It is being processed for departure, whatever that might mean.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It looks like the 9XR forums is under a really bad spam attack :shock:
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Wow!
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Damn, the postman decided he didn't want to wait for someone to answer the door. There were 2 people in the house when he knocked and ran. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow I guess.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jhsa wrote:It looks like the 9XR forums is under a really bad spam attack :shock:
Is that what happens when you fork code and don't give credit where credit is due?

There used to be a saying in politics that you don't fight with people that buy ink by the barrel. I guess today's analog is you don't screw somebody who knows how to write awesome code. :D :lol:

OK... I'm not actually accusing or really saying that any of the 9x team wrote the code that is beating the heck out of the 9XR forum -- but I am sure that karma is a bitch. :twisted:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

LOL.

Spammers are a plague, any new forum only takes a few days to be found and added to spammers' lists, who will then joyfully drown you in spam if you don't have a serious protection. Guess they overlooked that at HK.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

Crucial wrote:Damn, the postman decided he didn't want to wait for someone to answer the door. There were 2 people in the house when he knocked and ran. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow I guess.
Where I live the USPS routinely doesnt even come to the door. We have a community mailbox in my complex. I get the notice left there. So I guess they want me to think they put my regular mail in the community box, came to my door to deliver my package, knocked and I didnt answer or was sleeping or in the shower, then carried the yellow slip of paper BACK to the community box, and left it there. sure ya did. There is no second attempt. Then I have to go down to the USPS office and retrieve my package. The lady working down there is answering the incoming phone calls and trying to help customers at the same time. I mention that the letter carrier never even tried to deliver, that I work evenings and am at home when the mail is delivered, and they just give you that 'knowing' look and ask if you want to speak to the supervisor. NO I dont want to speak to the supervisor, dont want to get anyone in trouble, just want the letter carrier to make one or two attempts to deliver the package. When I speak to the carrier directly they vaguely mumble how the supervisor is on them to get the route delivered, without admitting any fault. Then it gets better for a bit, then back to square one.

I have mixed feelings about USPS. In Indianapolis UPS ground was under $10. Here in cleveland it runs about $12. Maybe it's just fuel prices ? I do think USPS is keeping all my 'direct from the chinaman via ebay' stuff cheap.

And the spam on that other forum is just because 'HK' just wants to sell radios. They dont want to maintain another forum, let alone any code. I feel people that dedicate their time to develop open source software arent going waste their energy worrying and/or plotting about some forum. As far as Karma, dont know enough about it to comment.

Looking forward to you guys getting your new radios and posting the results.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Kilrah wrote:LOL.

Spammers are a plague, any new forum only takes a few days to be found and added to spammers' lists, who will then joyfully drown you in spam if you don't have a serious protection. Guess they overlooked that at HK.
We have allot of anti-spam protection in place.

Ever wondered why we moderate new user posts?

It is the final real man check! Doesn't look like they have any protection in place yet!

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
featherodd

Post by featherodd »

Just got my 9XR. New gimbals are sweeet, much smoother than the ones on the 9x.

Does anyone know if its been confirmed whether or not you can flash the 9XR with the latest er9x? I'd love to get it up to date with my other 9x'es.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Well...

Some have flashed the '9XR' firmware to a stock radio and it works fine.. so my guess. 100% compatible.

Rob
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
featherodd

Post by featherodd »

Rob Thomson wrote:Well...

Some have flashed the '9XR' firmware to a stock radio and it works fine.. so my guess. 100% compatible.

Rob
Sweet, thanks man. Will give it a go.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

You can always revert bak if you have to. Just backup the epprom first :)
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

featherodd wrote:Does anyone know if its been confirmed whether or not you can flash the 9XR with the latest er9x? I'd love to get it up to date with my other 9x'es.
There is no doubt that you can do that. The only problem that I see as being one that would invalidate any warranty on the radio due to such an update. Ask HK if the latest editions of 9x and Open9x are on their approved list. If not and it is of any concern to you, then it might be best to stick with what is on it now or their approved update(s).

I wouldn't like to see this group getting the blame for wrecking HK's customers blinged 9XR.

Do we have the usual legal stuff letting people know that they use the firmware/software at their own risk, and that we (the developers) do not accept any responsibilty for any damage done to any equipment or any damages caused to anyone or any property by using 9x or Open9x? .... You know what these no win no claim lawyer types are like in our modern society, and how some people will try it on to get a fast buck.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

and it should also be said that there's always the risk of bricking the radio...
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
featherodd

Post by featherodd »

Rob Thomson wrote:You can always revert bak if you have to. Just backup the epprom first :)
good point.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Curiously... The manual of the 9xr says that if you flash of mod.. You loose warranty. But.. We actively encourage you to update your firmware to get more features.

It is just a get out clause to save them from come backs :)
featherodd

Post by featherodd »

If anyone's curious, a 2200mah 3S 25C nano-tech Lipo fits very nicely. It also seems to even out the weight.
HK's 1500mah 3S lifepo4 is still likely more optimum but it slops around a lot and warrants some extra padding.
A larger mah LifePo with similar dimensions to the 2200mah 3S would be ideal.
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

Rob Thomson wrote:Curiously... The manual of the 9xr says that if you flash of mod.. You loose warranty
That is the way I read it.. But it did seem that it was okay to do so, if you were flashing it with approved firmware, although I don't see Er9x or Open9x on the approved list on their website.

I do have another thought/question. Where is the software from them to enable people to update the firmware? Of course that would also have to be approved/tested by them.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Well... They flashed it with er9x! So I guess we are approved :)
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

featherodd wrote:If anyone's curious, a 2200mah 3S 25C nano-tech Lipo fits very nicely. It also seems to even out the weight.
HK's 1500mah 3S lifepo4 is still likely more optimum but it slops around a lot and warrants some extra padding.
A larger mah LifePo with similar dimensions to the 2200mah 3S would be ideal.
Accidentally discharge the lipo to under 8v or lower, and then force a recharge back up to 12+ and see if the swells pack still fits? In fact do that to the smaller packs and they should stop rattling around because of the swelling.
Of course I'm kidding about actually doing it! But if the swelled and bent packs I see in use at my local field are any indication, someone will post a request for help when their tx case cracks from a bulged pack this year ha ha.
Thank goodness HK's crack programmers added a low battery alarm , and better yet, an alarm if the sticks aren't moved for x time.
Why didn't "we" think of that.
Ok, shame on me!
My 9xr is still sitting in their post office I guess? Ordered it the first day.
You guys are having all the fun of dissecting it, save something for the rest of up waiting.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Please add a location to your profile. Thank You
Flaps 30

Post by Flaps 30 »

featherodd wrote:If anyone's curious, a 2200mah 3S 25C nano-tech Lipo fits very nicely. It also seems to even out the weight. HK's 1500mah 3S lifepo4 is still likely more optimum but it slops around a lot and warrants some extra padding. A larger mah LifePo with similar dimensions to the 2200mah 3S would be ideal.
Hmm.. From what I have read. It seems that HK are coming out with a special (approved) battery for this TX, so that you can charge in in situ. Didn't they throw in a bit a foam to stop the battery moving around?
Rob Thomson wrote:Well... They flashed it with er9x! So I guess we are approved :)
:lol: Yeah. But I am the type of person that doesn't take this sort of thing for granted. I want to see it in print, along with what method/software they approve of to flash the TX. This whole saga with this TX and the bits surrounding it, does demonstrate how not to launch a product. Especially when it isn't complete with essential items (like RF modules & batteries) to get it going.

My real interest in this is more along the lines of if HK have any plans to sell spare parts for this, and how many of them could be fitted to the outdated 9X
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

What kind of warranty service does HK have anyway ? I just looked at them as varied quality, extremely good value, and lots of fun. I've rolled the dice and been lucky so far. Just the shipping would be rough, unless you could return it to the usa/your local depot. I couldnt imagine selling a product and warranting it thru 3rd party firmware upgrades. Now when they start selling the programmer bundled with the TX, that might be a little different.

Really though, barring any unknown major defects, this sounds like a good evolution of the 9x for the typical 9x user. Will it be the right Tx for the advanced 9X user who has progressed to additional hardware mods beyond programming and backlight ? Maybe not.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

Some pics of the gimbal assembly.

The change over from mode 1 to mode 2 is not as simple as it used to be. The pin holding the cam lever is pressed in and the lever can't be easily removed. I think it would be easier to swap the gimbals from side to side but you would have to swap the wires from one to the other as they are different lengths. The tension is also not adjustable anymore. It can only be changed with different springs. The tension on mine does feel pretty good. They are close to my 9x which has the tension cranked all the way as tight as it goes.

I measured the angle of motion on the sticks The north - south or up and down movement is about 42 degrees and the east - west or right to left movement is about 50 degrees. The 9x definitely has more movement available in the up - down axis.

There are 2 ball bearings per gimbal. One for each axis on the opposite side of the pots. The size of the bearing is 3mm i.d. and 6mm o.d. I noticed movement on one of my bearings and when I looked at it closer the whole bearing was moving inside the cap. I had to shim it with some electrical tape. Before doing this it would scrape something internal in a certain direction as a result of being able to move off axis(I just opened the other cap and it was the same way). Also, My sticks were not moving smoothly and wouldn't return to center all the time. I had to pull the retainer clips out and flip them around. They are just like the 9x style where the clip slides into a groove into the pot and that holds it tight. Mine were too tight and binding both axis until I flipped them around. They feel much nicer after doing that.

The pots are 5k 100 degree pots. They will physically turn about 190 degrees but the resistance only changes for the center 100degrees. It has a marking of 100deg right on the back of the pot. The voltage reading I got from one set was n - s axis 1.60v ->3.91v on one side and 4.18v -> 1.95v on the other. The e - w axis was 1.44v -> 3.67v and 3.4v -> 1.15v. This
Attachments
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
featherodd

Post by featherodd »

Crucial: awesome deets man! love it ;D

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”