Killed 9XR with FrSky-Mod

Hardware Support for the 9XR
Skyscraper90

Killed 9XR with FrSky-Mod

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Hello!

Maybe someone can help me...
I tried to Mod my 9XR for FrSky Telemetry. I bought a nice USB-ISP Programmer and crimped a 10->6 Pin cable. Flashing is no Problem. er9x works great.
The problem was the hardware part. I bought some tiny flexible wire. But maybe my soldering iron is not that good. So after x tries to solder the two wires to the two ports 41/42 i abrupted pin 42 of the Chip.
Is there any possibility to repair that pin? I've read something about using a dremel to expose a bit of the pin, to solder the wire again.
Or should i better buy a new Main Board? Its not very expensive with 7-8$ - But shipment from Hong Kong to Germany is VEEERY slow. (And i want to fly...)

Another question: Should telemetry work, even when Pin 41/42 not connected correctly? I connected ATmega Pin 2 to Pin 5 of Modul-Header and modified FrSky DJT, too, like in the HowTo. But no Telemetry. Maybe the connection in the DJT isn't great, too. - I will buy a new soldering iron. Before doing anything again...

I am an idiot, i know it... Big fail :(

Regards
Skyscraper

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Killed 9XR with FrSky-Mod

Post by MikeB »

Pins 41 and 42 are used to re-route the THR and AIL switches. One of these won't be working if you can't connect to one of those pins.

Yes, telemetry should work anyway.

Which mod did you do to the DJT? There are two different versions, one keeping the RS232 voltages and the other using logic levels.

If you do the one (mine!) keeping the RS232 voltages then you need a buffer in the radio to translate and invert the signals.

If er9x is running, then you should still be able to fly, just one of the switches not working.
If you can, please post a picture of your mod to the DJT and the wiring you have on the main board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Aren't pins 41 and 42 available on more accessible pads somewhere in the 9XR? I thought you didn't have to solder to the processor's pins :o

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, U6 pins 10 and 11.
What might be possible is to use PORTC bit 0 instead (CPU pin 35). This is also on U6 pin 9. I would need to tweak the code to look there as well, but I have the required code available (commented out) as I did a version for Reacher10 to use when he did something similar.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Thank you for your quick replies! Very great forum!

Yesterday afternoon I bought a new soldering iron, ultra thin enameled copper wire and some circuit board cleaning tools.
Then I cutted a bit into the ATmega 128. Then I soldered the wire to the (back accessible) pin(s) again.

And finally:
DSC_0445.JPG
Both switches working again

Then I resoldered the connection in the DJT again.
And finally:
DSC_0446.JPG
DSC_0444.JPG
Telemetry works, too !!

Thank you very much :)

Regards
Malte

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Great.. :D

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Fortunately the CPU pins do extend into the ceramic housing a very short distance. You're last ditch effort to access what was left of the pin deserves praise. Never give up without a fight can pay off. Bravo!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Hello everybody!

As stated above, I modified my 9XR about one year ago and it works very great until now. But i came up to the problem, that 8 channels aren't enough for me.
So some questions here. I hope that its okay to ask this here:
  • The Hobbyking Page says, 9XR can only handle 8/9 channels, but in the net I stumbled across some postings, saying it can handle up to 16 ch. What is correct?
  • I'm thinking about buying this Set (FrSky XJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & X8R 8/16Ch S.BUS ACCST Telemetry Receiver)
  • ->Is this compatible with the 9XR, even with the 9XR Mod?
  • ->Or should I buy a new 9XR Board together with it? (To get back to the state before this mod)
  • Whats up with telemetry of XJT and the 9XR, is there a way to do it?
  • ->Or should I better buy a 9XR Pro with FrSky Telemetry Cable? (this is the most expensive way :/ )
Thank you very much for your help!

Regards
Malte
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, the 9XR can handle 16 channels.
Yes, the XJT is compatible with the 9XR, and er9x suports it.
Depends on the way you did the telemetry mod. If you use a RS232 level converter (which also inverts the signal), connected to pin 5 of the module connector, the XJT just plugs in and works.
The 9XR-PRO supports the XJT directly, no need for the telemetry cable, that is only needed for the DJT.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

MikeB wrote:Depends on the way you did the telemetry mod. If you use a RS232 level converter (which also inverts the signal), connected to pin 5 of the module connector, the XJT just plugs in and works.
Thank you for your quick answer.
I did the following telemetry mod: http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/converting- ... html#p1294 (PDF)

Regards
Malte
EDIT: Corrected broken link
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In that case you haven't inverted the telemetry signal, so the XJT SPort telemetry won't work.

To use the XJT telemetry you do need the telemetry signal being inverted in the radio. If you do the DJT mod the way I did, and include the RS232 inverter/buffer in the radio, then both the DJT and the XJT will work directly.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

MikeB wrote:If you do the DJT mod the way I did, and include the RS232 inverter/buffer in the radio, then both the DJT and the XJT will work directly.
Is there a way to change my Mod to your Mod, without soldering again on the main board or at least the main chip (which lost already 1 pin :o )

Thank you.

Regards
Malte
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, the RS232 inverter mod is in the wires from the module, you don't need to change the wiring to pins 41/42.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Is this the correct mod?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, that is correct. I was fortunate to have a small converter board available. You can make your own, or there are some available, e.g. from Sparkfun (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/133).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Is this Board compatible, too? - Looks similar?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mini-RS232-auf-T ... 46299751f4
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Looks OK and works up to 5.5V supply so should be fine.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Hi!

I've got my XJT+Receiver yesterday, but not the eBay Item until now.
Is it save to use the XJT-Module in the 9XR before changing the Mod? Does it work without telemetry or will it kill my XJT or 9XR?

Thank you!

Regards
Malte
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Should be OK. The XJT only outputs logic voltages on pin 5 of the module connector, and should work fine without the telemetry being processed.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Hello!

Maybe you can help me again?
I've got the eBay part the last days and I wanted to do the Mod now.
But the problem is: My Transmitter-Back-Panel in the 9XR does not look similar to yours.
So i'm very unsure how to do it.

EDIT:
Okay, i've found THIS Tutorial, which has the same Board. The Tutorial above is for 9X not 9XR.

But now another Question:
Which Pins do I have to use from this board? There was no manual or anything at all with it.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The RS232 end connects to the DJT, the TTL end connects to the processor.
Check the two pads labelled "+" are conected together and the two pads labelled "-" are also connected together.
Assuming this is the case the connect one of the "-" connections to ground and one of the "+" pins to +5V.
The other pads show the direction of the data so on the RS232 end the DJT Tx goes to the pad with the arrow pointing inwards and the Rx goes to the pad with the arrow pointing outwards.
At the TTL end, the processor pin MISO (TXD0) goes to the pad with the arrow pointing inwards and the MOSI (RXD0) goes to the pad with the arrow pointing outwards.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Finally: It works!
Thank you very much!

But I have 3 Questions:
1. Can you explain me, why the TSSI doesnt show correctly? RSSI works.
2. Why it shows up FasV = 0? I connected FAS-40 to the FLVS and the FLVS to the old-style HUB and the HUB to the S-Port Vario and the S-Port Vario to the X8R. Amps show up correctly (I think), the single voltages from FLVS, too, but, the FAS voltage doesnt.
3. How to reset the Altitude? It showed strange values with the old setup before, too. But now its really strange with -1114 meters.
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0131.JPG
Thank you.

Regards
Malte
EDIT: Fixed typos.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

1. With the XJT, you don't get a Tx RSSI value, instead you get the SWR value. In some places this does get renamed. I'll need to check regarding where it doesn't get renamed.
2. FasV is for the FasV current and voltage sensor. For the FLVS you need "Ctot" - Cells TOTal.
3. When on a telemetry display, a SHORT press of MENU should popup options including "Zero Alt.".

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Skyscraper90

Post by Skyscraper90 »

Sometimes all you have to do is to update from R812 to R818. Great improvements (the menu style etc.)
So it seems to work all correctly. I cant test FrSky GPS indoor, but I think that should be ok, too. Now FasV has a voltage value again, too.
Thank you very much for your help and great work on er9x :)

Some unimportant question:
-I tried to flash the er9x-frsky-de.hex, but that seems to be defect, because it always says "0 bytes written / 0 bytes verified" - er9x-frsky.hex works.
-Whats the difference between TSSI & SWR?
DSC_0135.JPG
Regards
Malte
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

SWR is, I think, Standing Wave Return. It is a measure of how good is the antenna, the lower the value the better. If the antenna is not present, or damaged, you will likely get a high reading (>55). This indicates you should turn the Tx off and investigate as using the Tx module without an antenna can damage the Tx module.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

SWR = Standing Wave Ratio

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”