Is this the correct Radio set up to buy?

Hardware Support for the 9XR
Brakston

Is this the correct Radio set up to buy?

Post by Brakston »

Hi, I am retired and want to dabble in RC again after a hiatus of about 30-years. Things have changed. :)

I like the idea of this open source firmware and want to buy a radio. I checked HK and they have the Turnigy 9X (sku TX-9X-M2) but I see a 9XR (sku 9171000184) and also saw mentioned here an er9X.

I don't care if it is a Turnigy as long as it is one is a reliable brand (FlySky etc) and will work with this OS-firmware.

Can someone please guide me on what and where to buy? Initially I want to use it with some flight simulator for helis to get some practice, so at this point the radio is all that I need. I'd go for the HK deal for the sku TX-9X-M2 as it includes the Tx-module and Rx, but would be guided by the local wisdom here.

Thanks

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Is this the correct Radio set up to buy?

Post by MikeB »

er9x if the name of one of the open source firmware that runs on these transmitters.

Both the 9X (Flysky/Turnigy - same thing) and the 9XR are now slightly older technology, although good value.
The 9X needs some modification to be able to flash (=write new firmware) it.
The 9XR comes with a version (quite old) of er9x already installed, and has a programming port built in to enable this to be updated. You would need a cheap programmer to be able to do this.

Moving up there is an upgraded version of the 9XR about to be launched, called the 9XR-PRO. This has a much more capable processor and just plugs into a USB port for updating.

There is also the FrSky Taranis. As with the 9XR-PRO this has a similar type of processor and also uses a USB port for updating.

There are two main options for open source firmware, er9x/ersky9x and openTX (I'm mainly involved with er9x/ersky9x). Both of these run on all the transmitters listed.

The 9XR-PRO will ship with ersky9x, the Taranis ships with openTx. (ersky9x is the version of er9x for the more capable processors).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Brakston

Post by Brakston »

Thanks Mike for the quick and detailed reply. It is all a little clearer already.

I will wait and go with the new versions of the Turnigy or FrSky unless they are super expensive compared to the 9x that HK has for under 60-bucks. Suggestions for where to buy?

I think I saw something about updating the 9X and 9XR on youtube, so will go do some research while waiting for the Pro versions to be released. Any mention for prices on them yet?

Thanks

Harry
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I don't know where in the world you are, Aloft Hobbies price the Taranis at $185.00.
We don't have a price for the 9XR-PRO yet, but it should be noticeably less than that.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Brakston

Post by Brakston »

Oppps, US of course. The center of the Universe. Joke! OK?

Given that the 9XR is around 50-bucks I will get one of those. I don't have anything to fly in mind, but want to get a radio that will cover most things and I am watching a youtube on the 9XR and that will do me fine.

Thanks, have a Theakston's OP for me. :)

Harry

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, the 9XR will do a good job.
However, it may also depend on what you may want in the future. There are some features you may wish to consider.
Do you want telemetry? With the 2.4 GHz kit, it is now possible to get real time data from the aircraft. Things like, receiver battery voltage, flight pack voltage and current (for electric powerd 'planes), altitude and vario (for gliders).
Do you want voice output? Particularly useful if you have telemetry, you can have the information spoken instead of only displayed on the screen.

Obviously, you may wish to just get back into flying and not have these things.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

After having tried telemetry and voice, I can't imagine flying without them anymore. Only the fact that you don't have to take your eyes from the model to took at the timer makes it worth it. Specially if you fly helicopters..

João

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

My advice: Wait and see the price of the 9xr Pro. The people you are talking to are on the test team and we can vouch for its capability. If it turns out to be more than you want to spend, go for the 9xr.

Remember you will need a module for $30-35 and receivers that match for $7 to $25. There are two main choices: the Orange DSM or the FrSky DJT. They are not compatible, so think about the choice.

The 9x works well but requires a programmer to be installed. Also it comes with a FlySky/Turnigy module that works but is limited and not compatible with other systems.

Hope that adds something useful to the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brakston

Post by Brakston »

Thanks for all the suggestions. My idea of a hobby is about 6-months max, so I work within known frailties. :)

I watched a video on the X9 soldering in for a programmer and it is well within my ability, so would probably go with it. I have already ordered a programmer from RJ (a member here), even though I don't have a radio yet. {gasp!}

Since I do not have anything in mind to fly other than it will be a VTOL of some sort, the general incompatibility of the module and Rx should not be an issue. Yes? No?

I mean whatever I build the module and Rx will bind OK for that model?. Yes? No?

My main thrust at this point is to get enough together to use some free flight simulator stuff for helis. If I crash and burn the monitor a hundred times, I can live with that. If I never seem to get the hang of what I am trying to do and quit, no great loss of cash involved.

Harry

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”