Futaba trainer port w/ 9xr as master troubleshoot

Hardware Support for the 9XR
HighSierraCrashTest

Futaba trainer port w/ 9xr as master troubleshoot

Post by HighSierraCrashTest »

I can't get my futaba radio to work as a buddy box. Is there a way to make this work?

Kilrah

Re: Futaba trainer port w/ 9xr as master troubleshoot

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm, knowing what you already attempted might kind of simplify the answers :)
HighSierraCrashTest

I 'll start with cable: I have is a futaba square to round 6-pin DIN connector to go into the older style TX's.

I have the trainer switch enabled in the model configuration and I have also have the trainer page configured for three channels Rud, Ele, Ail to do := mode and the switch is set to TRN.

The four numbers at the bottom do not change when I plug in the buddy box TX and four channels go to center position when I hit the trainer switch.

I read about soldering the PPM connection on other forums, is this something I should check out?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

HighSierraCrashTest wrote:I 'll start with cable: I have is a futaba square to round 6-pin DIN connector to go into the older style TX's.
Is it a genuine Futaba cable? These usually are one-way only, should have one side labelled as master and the other as slave. My guess is you have a cable wired to have the square plug as master.

Are you able to beep the connections or open the plugs?
HighSierraCrashTest

I checked the cable, has Signal IN and Signal Out both crossed over. All other pins are connected except for V+ and nc.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Oh wait a second, 9xr... I think I've read that the Signal IN pin is actually unconnected in the radio! I remember reading about someone opening the radio and bridging the IN and OUT pins for that reason...
HighSierraCrashTest

I just bridged pin 3 and pin 6 and it works!

For anyone else who comes upon this thread with the same issue:

I'd attach an image of what I've done, but my finger has a blister from working the screwdriver so much.

Looking from the top down to the TX with the sticks pointing away from you, pins 3 and 6 are on the left, closest to the JR plug.
  • Unscrew all 10 case screws
  • carefully pull off the back case making sure everything is unplugged (battery, module) and mind the plug on the bottom corner.
  • unscrew the two screws holding down the board with the futaba connector
  • turn the board over and solder the two pins on the left.
  • reassemble - mind the wiring, because there's nothing quite like trying to fit a wire back into a 1mm pin.
bobferguson

Post by bobferguson »

Will this work with a 9cap micro plug. And turn the 9cap on as slave.
evhfpv

Post by evhfpv »

I am having the same issue, I want to connect my headtracker to my 9XR and it doesn't work.
Also, I am a bit hesitant to connect pins 3 and 6. When I measure the voltage on pin 3 (transmitter on, nothing plugged into the trainer ports) I see a nice PPM signal.
SDS00003.jpg
So connecting pins 3 and 6 means connecting 2 outputs together, and this seems wrong to me... or am I missing someting?

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”