SOMETHING WENT WRONG!!!!!

Hardware Support for the 9XR
blkfleet

SOMETHING WENT WRONG!!!!!

Post by blkfleet »

Hi folks,
i was playing with my 9XR with its new updating firmware, i searched around for a template so i came try to figure out a issue i was having with my servos, so when i found one i tried to upload it and then the c**p hit the fan! my Tx went dark power light "blue" comes on but no display at all. i read the memory and this is what i got. what does this mean? did my radio just become a brick and is there a fix for this?
HELLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
thanks

=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -P usb -U flash:r:C:/Program Files/eePe/test05.bin:r
=================================================================================

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

blkfleet

Re: SOMETHING WENT WRONG!!!!! UPDATE

Post by blkfleet »

more details on the issue, the firmware was working well until i tried to update the template that i found on here. when i went to update the template i hit "write memory to tX" and thats when all went south! i have tried to reflash the chip with er9x firmware same one i used just a week ago and nothing! so i want to know is the radio dead dead or is there something that can be done to get it going again? any help would sure be appreciated.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: SOMETHING WENT WRONG!!!!!

Post by MikeB »

BTW, don't use the -F option, whatever else you do!
When you say you tried to re-flash er9x, what happened with eepe?

You may need to check the wiring betwen the external connector and the main board.

The EEPROM memory includes radio settings ("General Settings") as well as model settings. The way to update the EEPROM is to read the existing memory, modify that on eepe, then write it back. If you didn't do that, you will have changed the general settings.
Please check the contrast setting. Read the EEPROM into eepe, edit the "General Settings" and make sure the contrast is at least 25. If it isn't, change it to 25 (or 30), then write the EEPROM back.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Mike,
the radio isnt doing anything, when i run eepe on it and have it read the radio i get the message you saw in the original post. and the info comes back like stupid fast! it didnt take like the 3 secs it would take before all this happened. there is no sound at all when i turn the radio on only the blue power light comes on. i have not use the -F option. its like the radio is completly dead! had no issues before until i went to write the new "template" i was trying to upload to the tx.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think avrdude can't see the chip anymore. Exactly the same problem he had before. :(

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

blkfleet

Re: RE: Re: SOMETHING WENT WRONG!!!!!

Post by blkfleet »

jhsa wrote:I think avrdude can't see the chip anymore. Exactly the same problem he had before. :(

João

João before when it didn't see the chip the radio was working, but now I got nothing on the radio, no display, no sound.....nothing! Only this the radio does is turn on the "power on" light. This is way different than before. The USBASB drivers are working, I am using the same firmware I used the first time (the one you told me to use) the settings are set for atmega128...... I just don't know what in the world happened????

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Try -B100 in the extra arguments in eepe..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

jhsa wrote:Try -B100 in the extra arguments in eepe..

João

Ok I will when I get home and I will try to do a video, so we can get a better pi tire on the issue

blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m128 -B100 -P usb -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/admin/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.hex:i

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 8000 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

this is what i continue to get nomatter what i try to do:
flash the firmware
read the eeprom
read the memory
......nothing just the Tx power light, no sound, no display...i truly think the Tx has become a brick!
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

As you can see drivers for USBASB are working, and in the Tx picture you can see only my power light is on. Nothing else.ImageImage

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What file did you flash to the radio anyway that caused that catastrophic situation :o??
The radio's behavior tells me that the fuses were somehow changed, but you had the same problem before and it is not clear to me how you solved it, because installing the Hobbyking drivers wasn't a reason to make it work.. But it did. It seems that your old problem somehow came back..
Try this, turn the AIL and THR switches ON and try doing a read.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

I used a template I saw on the forum for a 500 size heli. Also joão, this is not the same problem as before. Because before when I would read the eeprom the radio would turn off and turn back on when the "reading" was complete. This time the radio is just dead. And last time the fix to the problem was I uploaded the drivers for the usbasp from hobbyking, changed my info from M64 to M128 for my chip info. And the only info I changed on the template I was trying to upload was the swashring from 77 to 55. That's all

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Strange.. the problem is that the radio is not talking to the PC. Also, you UsbAsp seem not to the the best one as it is not able to change the writing speed..
Try what I suggested with the switches

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

I will try when I get home from work. But joão for my radio to communicate with pc my radio needs to turn on....and that's the problem the radio will not turn on. Even when I disconnect from the pc and use my Tx battery pack....the radio will not turn on.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I know, but for programming you shouldn't have to turn it ON because the USBASP programmer should power it.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

jhsa wrote:I know, but for programming you shouldn't have to turn it ON because the USBASP programmer should power it.

João
Yes that's what I am trying to say is that thru the usbasp the radio doesn't power up only turn on the "9xr" light. And when I disconnect it from pc and use battery pack...it does the same thing, so I don't think it's a connection issue I think something got fried.... [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

well, if you think that, then you will have to open it and start looking for a problem..
Measuring the voltages for example. I don't know that radio very well but I believe there are 2 voltage regulators. One is 5V and the other is 3.3V.
You could measure the voltages there..

Doesn't the radio make any sound when you turn it on? a beep or something?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Nope no sounds at all!

blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Another reason why I think it has to be something other than communication issue is because when the usbasp is connected the radio gets some type of.power, if not the power light would not turn on. Just like when I connect the battery pack. So I am thinking it's something else but I will look for the volt regulator and see what I can see

blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

this is the eepe i was trying to use....
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=427&start=30
"heli setup model.eepe" the author/creator is by "kaos"

i am still trying to troubleshoot the radio....ugh! no success so far!!!!! i am so close to just ordering another radio and then i see the prices have gone up for the 9xr so i might just go with 9xr pro! kinda like that new "turnigy tgy-i10" anyone has any feedback on the Tx? haven't given up on my 9XR but i am just getting my mind wrapped around that i might be buying a new radio in the near future! boohoo!!!!!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

blkfleet wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:11 am Hi folks,
i was playing with my 9XR with updating firmware,
i searched around for a template, when i found one i tried to upload it
and Tx went dark power light "blue" comes on but no display at all.
blkfleet wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 2:44 am all went south! i have tried to reflash the chip with er9x firmware
jhsa wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 am What file did you flash to the radio anyway that caused that catastrophic situation :o?? João
blkfleet wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:01 am I used a template I saw on the forum for a 500 size heli. Also joão, this is not the same problem as before. Because before when I would read the eeprom the radio would turn off and turn back on when the "reading" was complete. This time the radio is just dead. And last time the fix to the problem was I uploaded the drivers for the usbasp from hobbyking, changed my info from M64 to M128 for my chip info. And the only info I changed on the template I was trying to upload was the swashring from 77 to 55.

These Heli settings of Feb 27, 2012 to Jan 26, 2014 is from over 3 to 5 years ago (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=427&start=30).

I do not have the 9xr,
but I believe this old 9xr radio is mostly nothing more then a little upgraded 9x radio main board (128 chip and some other stuff).

I believe you would flash your 9xr radio with (http://www.er9x.com/) er9x for Mega128 processor firmware.
There has been a lot of changes to the er9x firmware over the last 3 to 5 plus years,
so you may not be able to use these same old Heli settings.

But I am not sure what you have done, so maybe I am not understanding correctly.
Did you try flashing your 9xr radio with one of the downloads from here: (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=427&start=30#p69439) ? :?:

add edit: Checking Contrast Setting here: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=10237#p128960).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Bob B,
if you read my post from the beginning you will see i have tried all that. i been trying everything suggested to me. firmware was working good, all i did was tried using a "template" for settings not the firmware of 3 yrs ago. i have flashed my Tx. with the latest from the website given to me by Joao. but thanks for your input
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

OK then, sounds like it may be a bad connection some where or a hardware component has failed some where.
Some times when we work on things, something can fail and not be caused by what we where doing
(maybe just the timing of when something fails).
Open it up, look for something burned, if you see something post a picture of it here for us to see.

Download er9x manual from here: (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473#p90349).

Add edit: (Check) What is you radio battery voltage ? :?:

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

And did you flash that complete eeprom to your radio, or copied the model in it to your own eeprom?
Normally, you should download your radio's eeprom onto eepe, then open the one you got from the forum, then copy the model from the other eeprom to your radio's eeprom, and then flash YOUR RADIO'S eeprom back to the radio.
If you flash the other eeprom, you will lose all your settings, models, and calibration.
I think I explained all this before..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

yes Joao, i understand that....but what i think you are not understanding is the radio isnt turning on. according to what you just explained to me the radi should have lost all my settings and all i have to do is redo my settings. but the radio is dead Joao. it isnt doing anything, no screen, no sound no nothing! do i have to make a video for folks to understand when i say the radio isnt doing anything???? i understand you guys are trying to help me but you guys are saying the same thing over and over but in different words. and this is beginning to drive me crazy, dont want you guys to think i am being an ASS but i am trying to explain to everyone what is going on and it seems that none understands what i am explaining......
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

Bob B.
kinda hard to tell what the Tx voltage is for i have no screen....lol
but according to my mult meter i have 11.25 on the battery
and when i was plug up to the pc i was between 4.6 and 5
and i opened the Tx case and checked my connections but i see nothing wrong. keep in mind i have never opened this Tx til today and i have never dropped nor banged the Tx either i try to baby my stuff as much as possible..lol
i am trying to keep a good head about this but i am so lost have no clue why would uploading any template new or old would have triggered this snafu???
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi blkfleet,
Have some patience with us, João has a reason asking you these questions.
Your 9xr radio can behave this way if flashed with improper settings.
We are trying to gather info to what maybe causing the problem with your 9xr radio.

Battery voltage is good, But where did you get the 4.6 to 5 volts readings ? pictures are good !
Sorry I missed seeing USB power for the 4.6 to 5 volts.

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

oh trust me Bob B, joao been a major help to me when i first was trying to flash my radio and he has been very helpful, but it seems like the same question keeps getting asked but worded differently and what folks dont seem to be hearing or reading is when i am saying the radio is dead but the "power" light, and the radio does the same thing whether i power it with my battery pack or the PC.....which is power light only. no sounds, no display no nada......ugh
blkfleet

Post by blkfleet »

the 4.6 was the last reading i got when the radio was working properly and i was connected to the PC via the USBASP
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I will see if I can find a electrical schematic for the 9xr main board.
João is a lot better then me with searching for where there maybe be a power or component failure.
I have lost the display on my 9x radio before and João helped me get it working again.

Bob B.

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”