9XR and XJT Telemetry problem

Hardware Support for the 9XR
SoulRipple

9XR and XJT Telemetry problem

Post by SoulRipple »

Hi! I am new to this forum so i want to apologise if i make any mistakes. I have a 9xr and a xjt module with d8r-2plus reciver. I have done the 9xr frsky telemetry mod for djt module and as far as I understood it the xjt does not need to be modified as it already sends telemetry data on pin 5. In order to connect it with 9xr i need a rs232 to ttl converter(http://www.sirius-pcb.com/UserFiles/Fil ... verter.pdf). Between the pin 5 and the converter there is a 500 ohm resistor and between the converter and 9xr itself there is a 470 ohm ressistor. Pin 5 is connected to the pin 2 of the com port(witch in my opinion is rx for rs232). On the other side the rx is connected to where the original djt module should be connected. The Vcc and Gnd on the ttl side of the converter is connected to the vcc on the 9xr near the Atmega128 and the gnd on the battery. I flashed the latest version of open9x(r2940) with companion9x and i checked the frsky box. The voltage sensor is connected to the reciver and the battery. The reciver is powerd on. They are binded. On the radio however i am not reciving any data(it says "No Data"). How do i get it to work?
PS: I folowed theese guides :
http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/converting- ... -t362.html
http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... y_Lite.jpg
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=6038

Kilrah

Re: 9XR and XJT Telemetry problem

Post by Kilrah »

OpenTX currently does not support the smart port telemetry format that is put out on pin 5 when used on an AVR platform (9X/9XR).
Currently you will need to use ER9X, I'm not sure if it has to be the latest "test" version or if the current release version includes support.
SoulRipple

Post by SoulRipple »

Thanks for the quick answer i will try it and i will report the result.
Last edited by SoulRipple on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulRipple

Post by SoulRipple »

Okay so i flashed the er9x-frsky firmware from this page, set the protocol to pxx and d8 mode.But i still did not get any data.I tried changing to D16, changing pin 5 lead from rx on rs232 side to tx ,but still no luck...Any ideas?
Thanks.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Checking other things are OK:
Do the THR and AIL switches work OK? This checks the wiring mod to pins 41 and 42.
Set the protocol to PXX and D8 mode, then bind the receiver.
Can you control a servo OK?
If this is all OK, on the main screen press DOWN LONG to get to the telemetry displays. Do you see anything for the Rx RSSI?

In passing, once this is working, you will probably want to flash er9x-128.hex. This provides more facilities, and also makes use of all 4K of the EEPROM, instead of the 2K that is available on the Mega64.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

SoulRipple

Post by SoulRipple »

Hello Mike, :) thank you for your answer.The THR, AIL and all other swiches work normally.The protocol is PXX and the mode is D8.I rebound the module with the receiver.I didn't have a servo to test with,but i hooked the APM board to the PC and the PWM values are moving when i touch the sticks.I opened the telemetry displays while the APM is hooked up to the PC, but both RX and TX are 0 and not changing.Thank you for the tip, i will sertenly flash er9x-128.hex once i fix the telemetry :)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm not sure you need the 500 ohm resistor between pin 5 and the RS232 to TTL converter board, I'd try removing that. The SPort data on pin 5 is already at logic levels (0-3.3V), just inverted.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
SoulRipple

Post by SoulRipple »

I forgot to mention in my previous posts that i removed the 500ohm resistor :).I am starting to think i must be something wrong with the converter.Here is a pdf(http://www.sirius-pcb.com/UserFiles/Fil ... verter.pdf) of the one i am using.Currently pin 5 is connected to pin 3 of the com port.And on the ttl side the rx is connected to pin 2 of the atmega.
Thank you for your time
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Pin 5 should connect to RX of the RS232 connector, and on TTL side TX should connect to the atmega's RX.
SoulRipple

Post by SoulRipple »

Problem was fixed. Thank you so much guys. I connected pin 5 to pin 3 of the com port. On the other side the tx is connected to the pin 2 of the atmega.

Return to “Turnigy 9XR radio”