Questions: Mega2560 DIY radio build by semi-qualified non professional (me)

Help and support for any other brand radios
interestingfellow

Questions: Mega2560 DIY radio build by semi-qualified non professional (me)

Post by interestingfellow »

Is there a centralized thread for the DIY 2560 build? I couldn't find one.
That being said, I'm building my own 2560 and have a few questions:
I'm planning on building it primarily for a hacked dsm2 module for now, I may add a second module to switch back and forth at a later date and time, when dsm2 no longer satisfies my needs. I want the sticks and pots better posistioned for my fingers, and a smaller footprint than my 9x, so it will travel more easily with me. I'm planning on a fancy carbon fiber and aluminum enclosure, but i'm ambitious, and it might just end up aluminum.
I have a binfull of parts coming, UnoR3 clone, st7920 128x64 lcd, walkera donor radio, and a couple 9c gimbles.

Will it be FCC approved? AMA approved? what legal concerns might I have to consider?
why/not? I've read a few dozen threads that support both sides of the questions, and can't seem to get a straight answer.
I see the extra circuits for power management, dejittering (is that even a word?), etc, but they are all optional: why? will my servos be twitchy or something? OH, also I see an opto decoupler for the ppm and telemetry tx lines: why would it be optional? it sounds more like a you need it or not sort of thing.

I've got most of the schema sorted out, but want to check on a few pins:
13 ppm_in>trainer in, yes?
12 spm_out>trainer out, yes?
What are the following pins for/where do they connect to:
11 sim_control
9 RF_activated
8 DSC_activated
7 HOLD_power

Thank you all for all the work, forum, and community. I love the fact that there's another option besides what *they want to sell us. THANK YOU!

interestingfellow

Re: Questions: Mega2560 DIY radio build by semi-qualified non professional (me)

Bump.

I'm figuring a lot of this stuff out using the schema and researching the parts on the parts list....thank FSM I'm not actually as dumb as I look.

I'll be back with more questions, and a few answers. I'll assemble an assembly thread for idiots after I get'r done.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The only thread I know of that is dedicated to it is the one the creator of the project opened along with the article he published in an RC magazine- but that's all in French.
Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 »

interestingfellow

Kilrah; YES! and that thread is almost hilarious to read when ran through google translate!!! lol
I'll look into it some more, do to the lack of english threads.
But, I will check out the rcgroups thread, as well, andy.

After pouring over the schema and xls parts list as well as the gruvin9x schema, I've got most of it mostly sorted out anyway.

Thanks!

interestingfellow

Please, comment if you *know something about electronics and this schema....from what I can gather:

if you want a diy transmitter, then you can plug stuff straight into the arduino board, and it will do just that: switches and pots outputting a ppm signal to an rf module.
But if you want fancy automatic switching for simulator/trainer, then you need ppm/power management circuits.
While the debouncing/dejittering/rotary circuits are...well, what they are, and also not required, are optional, but recommended (because cleaner electronic signals are better than dirty jittery ones).

Yeah?

I'm also trying to figure out if I have to use a USBasp to do initial programming AND updating, or if I can use the onboard CH3400 and USB for updates/eep's/etc after initial burn/fuses.

i'm going to keep posting here, for my own reference, community help, and for any other poor shmo who might find the info useful in the future.

I'm still going to do an english idiots build thread, when the time comes...I'm toying with the idea of making a shield to plug right into the arduino, too.

Side note, I got my hands on some Futaba 9c gimbles for a good price, and they feel pretty dern good!

Return to “Other Radios”