Looking for a Taranis programmer to look at my model setup

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Wildvortex

Looking for a Taranis programmer to look at my model setup

Post by Wildvortex »

I am working with a guy on rc groups trying to optimize one of my models. He is saying that my servos are not traveling the full distance and it HAS to be in my transmitter.

Can one of you look at my eepe file and assure him that I am getting full throws with no switches activated? If not where do I need to make the adjustments?

Eepe file will be uploaded momentarily.

Wildvortex

Re: Looking for a Taranis programmer to look at my model setup

Post by Wildvortex »

here is the setup
Attachments
extra300.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's not a lot of info.

All servos apart from throttle have default limits and travel when in the full rate. Maybe he's on another rate?
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

This is on my aircraft. So that is 100% throws, right?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes.

Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

OK, thanks. I guess that your information is irrelevant to them. Still continue to say lack of servo movement is due to having mixes.
Oh well, thanks again as always
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

Servos were only moving 90° with all set at 100%. Figured out how to solve the movement issue. Checked off extended limits and was able to extend the limits in output and get the full movement of the servo. Thanks to another Taranis user.
deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

When I view the file I find all sorts of missing switches ... all I am seeing is ??? in most cases ... it won't even allow me to put it into the Simulator ... so it is very difficult to help you. It could be we are running different versions of the software etc. etc. I am current with OpenTX.

No two people program their systems exactly the same, but without switch ID's your mixes are all over the map and it is impossible to completely figure out exactly what you are programming. I find the labels etc. help a lot with debugging and trap errors before they occur, and you don't have any.

Servo throws are easy to program ... and can be limited or expanded at several points in the system. They are usually quite obvious such as the one on your CH1 on the "Outputs" screen. It can also be the servo and you are maxing it out. Do a plain vanilla, no-nothing, set up and move the server from one end to the other. If the throw is the same, it could simply be the servo and you are running it max<->max.

Sorry ... not enough information to provide too much information.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Need to know what radio type and what OpenTX version that's using.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Wildvortex wrote:Servos were only moving 90° with all set at 100%. Figured out how to solve the movement issue. Checked off extended limits and was able to extend the limits in output and get the full movement of the servo. Thanks to another Taranis user.
"0nly moving 90 degrees"? That IS full movement in any normal setup. A throw of 40-45 each way is all you want for the main flight controls if you are to minimize non-linear motion and binding problems.
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

The guy I am working to set this up for pattern flying was looking for more out of them so we could use the first hole on the servo arm and the top hole on the control horn to minimize torque and still get 30 deg. of control deflection.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The open source firmwares already move way more than the commercial radios.. More than that and you might fry the servos.. :)
You might have an option called "Extended limits" in OpenTX. This will give you more throw..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Wildvortex wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 pm The guy I am working to set this up for pattern flying was looking for more out of them so we could use the first hole on the servo arm and the top hole on the control horn to minimize torque and still get 30 deg. of control deflection.
That would cause a highly non-linear movement and is NOT a good idea at all. You really need to use the proper holes and an appropriately powerful servo.
deaconFlyer

Post by deaconFlyer »

When I was first entering into 3D I stumbled across a series of videos done by HobbyKing and Michael Wargo.

The series was called "1 2 3D With Michael Wargo" and for example "The Radio" showed how to setup a radio and plane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzL6B9sQgdM

He also has some plane-specific videos that are full of valuable information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F_prurreUw

From watching these videos I learned that almost everyone of my planes had the servo travel set to large. Wargo talks travel and surface. He also talks getting the angles the same up/down ... which amazed me how far off my ailerons actually were.

There are other videos out there.

On my Taranis I have one model called "Plain Vanilla" which I use solely to get the numbers for the plane's servos and surfaces. I then copy those settings into my flying model which has all my duals / expos etc.
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

jhsa wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:01 am The open source firmwares already move way more than the commercial radios.. More than that and you might fry the servos.. :)
You might have an option called "Extended limits" in OpenTX. This will give you more throw..

João
That is what I had discovered and figured out how to use. I did upgrade the servos to ultra torque and moved the linkage in more of a 1 to 1 ratio.
Wildvortex

Post by Wildvortex »

deaconFlyer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm When I was first entering into 3D I stumbled across a series of videos done by HobbyKing and Michael Wargo.

The series was called "1 2 3D With Michael Wargo" and for example "The Radio" showed how to setup a radio and plane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzL6B9sQgdM

He also has some plane-specific videos that are full of valuable information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F_prurreUw

From watching these videos I learned that almost everyone of my planes had the servo travel set to large. Wargo talks travel and surface. He also talks getting the angles the same up/down ... which amazed me how far off my ailerons actually were.

There are other videos out there.

On my Taranis I have one model called "Plain Vanilla" which I use solely to get the numbers for the plane's servos and surfaces. I then copy those settings into my flying model which has all my duals / expos etc.
This is essentially what he is walking me through. We are setting throws making sure they travel the same up and down. Then beyond to flight tests.

I am fairly new to the hobby having only started flying about a year ago. So it is good to have someone talking me through all this.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”