Taranis XD9 Plus Trainer Port Not working

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
cineskypro

Post by cineskypro »

People, my XD9 Plus is basically new, has been working fine with receiver, but now that I tried to use the trainer port it does not work! it is driving me crazy.
Followed all tutorial, as simple as it is I get no input from any other radio I have tried. (Tunigy9X, Devo10 or Futaba T8FG) when in the TRAINER menu screen I dont get the raw input nor do I get the icon on the main screen when cable is plugged into the DSC port.

I had originally used Oprn TX to configure radio and reset back to factory default eeprom but that did not help.

What could I be doing wrong? or do I have a defective radio or port possibly?

Please help

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, a few questions.
Your tx is working ok still except for the trainer port?

Your issue is you can't use another tx plugged into your plus as a trainer?

Have you tried to use your plus as a trainer and another tx as a master? This I think would verify that your trainer Jack and cable is working and connected?

Finally, have you ever opened up your tx's case to make any stick adjustments or modifications?

If you're up to it and good with an ohm meter?
Always disconnect the TX battery before doing any internal work in your tx.

Paths for a Plus only!

Trainer detect path

From what I can find out, the trainer Jack detect wires plug into pin 6 of p5, a 6 pin connector on the back board and ground (pin3). Pin 6 is connected to a transistor base on Q4. The collector of Q4 connects to pin 10 of connector P8, a 24 flat cable connector.
Pin 10 of p8 connects via this 24 connection flat cable to the main board P7 connector pin 10.

Pin 10 on connector P7 connects to pin 67 on the stm32 processor.

Trainer Ppm path ( PPM in from student TX)

Trainer Jack tip to backboard connector P5 pin 2. Pin 2 connects to pin 4 of backboard connector P3 a 22 pin connector. Pin 4 of connector P3 connects to the main board connector P5 pin 4 via a 22 pin cable.

Pin 4 of connector P5 on the main board connects to R63 a 100 ohm resistor that connects to the stm32 processor pin 66.

So if this is correct here's some things to try.
If it's not a menu setting or a cable or trainer tx issue, then here's a guess.
It's posable the connector into P5 isn't fully seated.
Also that the flat cable running from P8 to P7 isn't seated? Trainer detect
Or, the backboard connector P3 cable to mainboard connector P5 isn't seated.
If they are, then could be a faulty trainer Jack or Q4 has failed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kamikzee

Re: Taranis XD9 Plus Trainer Port Not working

Post by kamikzee »

Same problem for me on my X9E running OpenTX 2.1.9. Put a scope on the tip of the mono cable coming from the slave box (Futaba 8U) and all channel's signals were right there and they responded to stick movements on slave box. No amount of fiddling around with model or radio options on the X9E made a bit of difference - no icon on main screen and all 0s on the trainer screen. Seems like the scope ruled out the Futaba and the cable - it must be something wrong inside the Taranis - but what? I will proceed to trace the signal inside the X9E case, but I'm not too optimistic.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”