XJT external module - constant beeping

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Raymondkerr

XJT external module - constant beeping

Post by Raymondkerr »

My internal RF on the original v1 Taranis no longer works, so I purchased an XTJ module. I am using non-eu xsr receivers in both my mini quad builds on 4s lipos. The module has been flashed with non-eu firmware also. Binding and RSSI/SWR telemetry seems fine. Range is good and the quads fly fine. However I''m getting a constant beeping from the module as soon as I power up the receiver. Even when I disconnect power the Beeping continues until I turn off the Taranis. The radio is powered by a 3s lipo and is currently at 12.8v.

How can I stop the beeping? Tried 2 different antennas and the ware both unfunctioning as normal so I don't think the antenna is the issue. When powering on the signal indicator next to the battery level at the top left hand side of the LCD display flashes 3/4 bars at gives a reading of 5.4v. Could the beeping suggest a low voltage trigger somewhere?

Can I unsolder the buzzer inside the module without affecting any others features?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Raymond

jhsa

Re: XJT external module - constant beeping

Post by jhsa »

This might not be related with your problem but...

ATTENTION, your lipo battery should not be at 12.8V
It is well overcharged. Or did you type a wrong number?
Be careful with overcharging lithium batteries. They can set your house or car on fire easy easy..
How do you charge your radio's battery?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'd suggest using a 3-cell lipo in a Tx designed for a 6-cell NiMh is too much.
It sounds to me as though your external XJT has some alarms configured in it.
I'm not sure if these may be disabled from within openTx.
If you have no other way to inspect/disable them, go to http://www.er9x.com/, download and install eepe.
You will need a COM port on your PC that you need to connect to the RxD, TxD and Gnd signals on the back of the XJT. Note that the TxD signal from the PC goes to the RxD signal on the XJT.
Run eepe, and select the Telemetry menu (this only has the one option Telemetry). When the dialog runs, select the "Module" tab and also set the COM Port to the one you have connected.
Click the Start button, then click the "Read Alarms" button. This should read all the alarms set in the XJT.Make sure these are all Disabled. If not, change them to disabled, then click "Set Alarms".
Finally Stop and Exit.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Raymondkerr

Post by Raymondkerr »

Thanks for the feedback, I only have access to a mac computer just now. Not sure if I can do it with a mac,

With regard to the lipo, i've been using a 3s lipo in the Taranis for more than a year. I do remove it to charge, always only charging at 1c. I think it is a 2300mah 3s from hobbyking that fits perfectly in the Taranis battery cover. But I will check the voltage again when I get home but I am sure in the battery calibration option it was reporting 12.8v.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Check with a voltmeter..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Raymondkerr wrote:My internal RF on the original v1 Taranis no longer works, so I purchased an XTJ module.
Maybe some other components of that Taranis are not in good shape also ....

From Helles German manual. About TX power supply.
Attachments
27.jpeg
Raymondkerr

Post by Raymondkerr »

My lipo is a 3s 2500mah. I have set my battery calibration to 11.1v and the range from 9.9v - 11.1v.
On the back of the module, it tells me input voltage range 6v - 15v.

The reason my internal module no longer works is down to my own fault. I messed up the soldering tab on the antenna try to mod it. So it has nothing to do with input voltage and the lipo I have been using to power the taranis.

Raymond.
Raymondkerr

Post by Raymondkerr »

made a quick video today showing the problem I have.

https://www.facebook.com/raymond.kerr74 ... 932143852/
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I do not use opentx on my Taranis, but I do use erSky9x on Taranis and eepSkye on my desktop PC.
I did use for a while the Zippy 2500 MAh 3S 3C LIPO battery and it worked find.
My Taranis came with the 800 MAh Ni 7.2V battery which dose not last very long.
When Aloft Hobbies sold the 2500 MAh Ni 7.2V battery, I purchased it and so now able to recharge this battery in Taranis radio.
The Aloft Hobbies 2500 MAh Ni 7.2 battery dose last a very, very long time and I use the 800 MAh Ni 7.2V battery as a back up if needed.

I agree with Mike, and several months ago I had my XJT beeping all the time too and the problem was I had the alarms setting improperly set.
When I set the alarms properly the beeping went away and beeps properly when the the alarm is triggered.
I am not able to show you what the alarm setting should be for opentx.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Raymondkerr, I see on your video the RxBatt is 3.5v. This is a bit low (usually it should be around 5-6v, depending on your BEC). I think that's the reason for the XJT to beep on its own. It continues to beep even when the model is OFF, as the logic here is that the model could have switched off due to low battery, hence the radio is still trying to attract your attention to the low on-board battery situation.

First of all, check your copter's battery and receiver voltage. If that is fine (Rx voltage is above 4.0v), you probably need to calibrate RxBatt value on your Taranis. I'm not exactly sure how to do it on OpenTX, but there should be a way.

P.S. Of course, there is also an option to switch off internal alarms in the XJT as Mike described above. Though, at first I would make sure the actual receiver voltage is within the allowed range (4.0 to 10.0v) and RxBatt in Taranis displays correct value.
Raymondkerr

Post by Raymondkerr »

I connected the USB on the kiss FC to the GUI and turned on the taranis and my rx voltage is above 4v and no beeping from the XJT module. however when I connect a 4s lipo fully charged and disconnect the USB the beeping starts and the taranis telemetry reports the rx voltage as 3.5v which is too low. What could be causing this. I removed all the senors and re-discovered them, doing it whilst the USB was connected gave me an rx voltage higher than 4v but when doing it with the 4s lipo plugged in, the rx voltage is on 3.5v which is too low.

very confused??
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It seems your receiver is not being powered correctly. Can't give much more advice without a proper diagram of your full setup.
Raymondkerr

Post by Raymondkerr »

I've been powering my KISS FC from the 5v pads on my Matek PDB. Been told since that I should be powering the FC directly from the battery in order to provide enough voltage to the RX and for the telemetry to work correctly, tomorrow I'll need to look at the build again and make some changes. Hopefully this will solve the low voltage alarm I'm getting from the XTJ module.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Do you have a 5V BEC ?
If you do, try the 5V BEC to power the RX and just power the KISS F/C from the 5v pads.
Maybe the KISS FC 5v pads BEC is to low of amps output, maybe pulling down the voltage when using the higher 4S lipo voltage.

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Looking at an image of a KISS FC, I can see a 78M05, linear voltage regulator on the back. The have a drop out voltage of 1.5 to 2 volts, meaning to get 5V out you need 6.5 to 7.0 volts in. If you are putting 5V in, then you will only get 3.5V, or so, out.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep this FC has an integrated BEC and is supposed to receive power straight from the battery.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I have used the Naza-M-Light F/C (DJI) which came with its own uBEC which is for powering the F/C
and is part of the F/C sensors for monitoring and controlling the Multirotor, which I am using a 4S Lipo battery with.
The Naza-M-Light F/C uBEC has a low amp output, which is to low to be able be used to power the FrSky X8R Receiver at the same time.
So I use a second BEC (Turnigy 5A (8-40v) SBEC for Lipo batteries)
to power the Receiver/telemetry sensors, camera, servos and some other stuff.

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The 78M05 is also only rated at 500mA..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Perfectly fine for the receiver and FC itself, just don't add more stuff to it... but on a race quad there is no more stuff to add anyway. The video system also has its own regulator.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

500mA should be plenty to power both the FC and the RX. FrSky specs say their receivers consume not more than 100mA @5v. I suppose the FC itself needs about the same.

OscarLiang's review of this FC also says the built in regulator is capable to supply power to RX as well.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Kilrah wrote:Perfectly fine for the receiver and FC itself, just don't add more stuff to it... but on a race quad there is no more stuff to add anyway. The video system also has its own regulator.
andrewju wrote:500mA should be plenty to power both the FC and the RX. FrSky specs say their receivers consume not more than 100mA @5v. I suppose the FC itself needs about the same.
Depends, increase the voltage at the input (4 Lipo cells), without a proper heatsink, and things might start getting too hot at a much lower current :)

The regulator max spec of 500mA, does not mean it will be able to deliver it in every situation. This is not a switched regulator, So, the greatest the difference between the input and output voltages, the greatest the heat the component will have to dissipate..
This one wouldn't probably get destroyed as it is protected, but in the worst case, it could enter thermal shutdown and make your nice model crash ;)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I have had receiver brown-outs (lost connection between radio and receiver) when Not using a second BEC.
For me it is better to be safe then to cash or fly away.
Though, I do not have the race quad setup, so then it maybe OK.

Bob B.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

bob195558 wrote:I have had receiver brown-outs (lost connection between radio and receiver) when Not using a second BEC.
For me it is better to be safe then to cash or fly away.
Though, I do not have the race quad setup, so then it maybe OK.

Bob B.
You could have brownouts if your BEC cannot deliver the required current, being it a normal linear voltage regulator, or a switched one.
Also if powering your receiver and servos from some batteries that might also not meet those requirements for a given setup. For example, 4 NiMh cells. I have a glow powered plane that I had to increase the number of cells from 4 to 5 NiMh. Of course the servos must also tolerate this voltage.
It also depends on the regulator used on the receiver itself. Normally it should be a Low Dropout regulator. But how low is low?? :)
As an example, the dropout voltage of an AMS117-3.3 voltage regulator according to the datasheet, is 1.1V typical. So, for a 3.3V regulator, the input voltage must always be above 4.4V for the regulator to be able to deliver stable 3.3V.
4.4V is the voltage that a 4 NiMhs cell pack is considered as discharged, but, depending on the load at a given moment, for example several servos under load at the same time, the voltage on the pack could momentarily drop lower than that voltage, even before the pack is discharged. This could lead to the regulator not being able to deliver 3.3V anymore,and cause a brownout..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Raymondkerr

Post by Raymondkerr »

got it working today, no more alarms from the module. I powered the FC directly from the battery on the PDB, my RX is now getting 5v and my telemetry is working as it should. I could never work out why my VFAS was never correct, now I know, the FC wasn't getting enough voltage.

Thanks to everyone who helped, I've learn a good couple of things which is always good.

Raymond.
adriankwil

Post by adriankwil »

MikeB wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:29 pm I'd suggest using a 3-cell lipo in a Tx designed for a 6-cell NiMh is too much.
It sounds to me as though your external XJT has some alarms configured in it.
I'm not sure if these may be disabled from within openTx.
If you have no other way to inspect/disable them, go to http://www.er9x.com/, download and install eepe.
You will need a COM port on your PC that you need to connect to the RxD, TxD and Gnd signals on the back of the XJT. Note that the TxD signal from the PC goes to the RxD signal on the XJT.
Run eepe, and select the Telemetry menu (this only has the one option Telemetry). When the dialog runs, select the "Module" tab and also set the COM Port to the one you have connected.
Click the Start button, then click the "Read Alarms" button. This should read all the alarms set in the XJT.Make sure these are all Disabled. If not, change them to disabled, then click "Set Alarms".
Finally Stop and Exit.

Mike.
Hi Mike, I know this is an old post but could you tell me which pins on the XJT module are the UART pins RxD, TxD and Ground, or where i could find the pin-out? It doesn't say in the XJT manual and the extended manual for the XJT doesn't seem to be on the FrSky website. Thanks.

Adrian
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

external XJT module
external XJT module
XJT Module_f.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 13272 times
Click on picture to zoom in.
Click on picture to zoom in.
adriankwil

Post by adriankwil »

bob195558 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:37 am XJT Module_f.jpg
XJT Module Settings_b.jpg
WOW! I cant believe I missed that. Ive been so frustrated with the beeping that I apparently cant even see properly :D . Thanks anyway!

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”