Expo Confusion: Setup

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
claytonbakerjr

Expo Confusion: Setup

Post by claytonbakerjr »

Ok I have had my Taranis XD9 Plus for about a year now and mostly do nothing but race Quads.
Recently I did something crazy and built a Wing....
Now I am finding myself diving more into the XD9 than a Flight Controller :)
So previously any expo was done in the FCB and I have a good understanding of that.
So I questioned a friend who has flown planes for about 20 years on the following subject matter
and he helped me understand setting up dual rates and why, sort of like flying Acro or Racing on a quadcopter, the 2 aren't the same.
So Expo in the "Inputs" page, if I want to take a pass on dual rates and shoot straight for Expo will it take affect or do the 2 go hand in hand?
The reason I ask is because on the Inputs page if I only set Expo I see no change in reaction of the servos.
So I was messing around with this last night and I found that in the "Mixer" page where I set up Aileron and Elevator stuff for the elevons I noticed Expo in there and so...I popped some numbers in them and see if it affected the servos...and it did to the point to where I seen the settings take effect in the way the servos responded.
Another friend said "No do not set it there...You have to set it on the Inputs page"
My question is...why?
I can see myself possibly using Dual Rates down the road once I get better at flying fixed wing but for now I simply want the ability to add Expo.
Thanks very much

Kilrah

Re: Expo Confusion: Setup

Post by Kilrah »

Rates/expo should be done in inputs becasue if they're done in the mixer your trims will change when you change rates/expo.
For your missing response when doing it in Inputs you probably didn't have the right line enabled. Remember the FIRST line that is enabled is selected.
claytonbakerjr

Re: Expo Confusion: Setup

Post by claytonbakerjr »

Kilrah wrote:Rates/expo should be done in inputs becasue if they're done in the mixer your trims will change when you change rates/expo.
For your missing response when doing it in Inputs you probably didn't have the right line enabled. Remember the FIRST line that is enabled is selected.
Thank you Sir, I will look it over when I get home from work tonight.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”