Taranis Plus X9D won't power on.

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
jward7

Taranis Plus X9D won't power on.

Post by jward7 »

Short story: Radio will not power on at all. Not SD card related. Not battery related.

Long story: Months ago, I made antenna and speaker upgrades to my Taranis X9D. They all went well. I was investigating where to install another switch in the radio and had it in two pieces, but with the white ribbon attached. The switches kept flopping around and they are metal.
Coincidentally I was setting up a second Taranis Plus X9D and turned on the open radio to get some info. I put it back together and then it would not turn on. There is no screen flicker, nothing. I tried the battery and sd card from the other radio.

Think I shorted something using it while open :(. I was in a rush, and have paid the price!

Any troubleshooting I can do? BoltRC here in Australia sells the individual boards, but how to work out which one is kaput?

flygear

Re: Taranis Plus X9D won't power on.

Post by flygear »

One of my buddies Taranis plus looks like doesn't shut the power off itself.

Switch off leads LCD off after sleepy icon but still TX draws appx 100mA @8V, probably MCU running but failed to cut the power line off.
Of course to re-power up, had to pull the battery out & in.

Is there any hardware parts should be checked?

Thanks.

JK
xlnzee

Post by xlnzee »

flygear wrote:One of my buddies Taranis plus looks like doesn't shut the power off itself.

Switch off leads LCD off after sleepy icon but still TX draws appx 100mA @8V, probably MCU running but failed to cut the power line off.
Of course to re-power up, had to pull the battery out & in.

Is there any hardware parts should be checked?

Thanks.

JK
I have the exact same issue, have to remove and plug in the battery for the Taranis to boot. This is with a brand new Taranis plus.

Was your friend able to resolve this? Do let me know, it may help me out.

Also it's not binding to any receiver, not sure if it's a bad unit or what.
fullofhotair

Post by fullofhotair »

I had the same issue and I managed to fix it. Radio: FRSKY TARANIS X9D PLUS SPECIAL EDITION 2019

Remove the external battery and then opened up the radio, then remove the onboard battery.

wait 30sec and then put the onboard battery back in and put in all together.

**I know it's an old post but this saved me from buying a new radio - hopefully, it will save somebody else

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”