FrSky 2015 firmware update

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
MikeB
9x Developer

FrSky 2015 firmware update

Post by MikeB »

Over on RcGroups, Chase Wu from FrSky has posted some firmware updates for use on X series Tx and Rx in Europe to conform with new regulations. See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ount=38876

I've done some tests:

I've just updated the firmware on the internal XJT module in my prototype Taranis Plus to the new posted by Chase Wu above. Easy to do since I'm running ersky9x on it, and that includes "maintenance mode" that has the facility to update the XJT from a file on the SD card.
It also allows updating of any SPort device using the external module pins.

Before I did the update, I set up a model using D8 mode and bound the XJT to a D8R-II. I checked a servo was properly controlled.
After the update, I used the same model memory and found the D8R-II was still bound and working, controlling the servo.

I then tried binding in D16 mode to a X6R that wasn't updated and the bind fails. This is true whether I set the country to Eur or Ame.

Next I set the X6R to bind in D8 mode, and the Tx in D8 mode and again all worked correctly.

Telemetry was correctly received in both cases.

I then updated the X6R receiver. Not surprisingly, this bound to the Taranis Plus with the updated XJT internal module in D16 mode. It also bound in D8 mode to both the Taranis Plus with the updated module AND to a 9X running er9x with a DJT module.
It did NOT bind to a XJT module (not updated) in a 9X with a SKY board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

MattyB

Re: FrSky 2015 firmware update

Post by MattyB »

So the $m question... What does this mean for the D-series RXs? Are they compliant with the new ETSI standard? FrSky have said here that they will not recieve new firmware, so if they are not compliant surely they cannot continue to be sold in Europe? If so a lot of people are going to be very grumpy about that....
Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

D-receivers are compliant, no update necessery.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Regarding whether to update the firmware of the XJT and X8R/X6R/X4R. In my testing of the X6R I updated, I thought I'd look at the servo pulses. It seems FrSky have changed the output pulse generation. Channels 1, 2 and 3 are all output at the same time, followed 2.3 mS later (from the start of channel 1 pulse) by channels 4, 5 and 6.

This improves the latency, particularly of higher numbered channels.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

This is great news, especially for the heli guys (better sync of the 3 head servos if connected to the right channels).

MattyB

Post by MattyB »

Helle wrote:Hy,

D-receivers are compliant, no update necessery.
Please don't take offense (I know I am new here and don't know many people; most of my posts are on RCGroups), but have you heard that officially from FrSky or is that an assumption based on the fact D series seem to work with upgraded Taranii? If so it's great news, but FrSky really should have stated it in their press release off the bat.
vieuxdruide

Post by vieuxdruide »

hi it's official
Attachments
frsky eng.pdf
(21.68 KiB) Downloaded 1600 times
Jeddy

Post by Jeddy »

Hi, I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance. I bought my Taranis plus with a few X6R late 2014 and that works fine. However I now need more Rx. I've read somewhere that all new EU Rx bought after 1Jan15 must support ETSI EN 300 328 (which I think is what we're talking about here?). So does that mean that if I buy new e.g. X6R I'll then have to upgrade my XJT module, which then means I'll need to upgrade my existing X6R Rx?
(Note, I am in the UK, despite what my profile may suggest!)
Thanks,
Jeddy
KevinJaspers

Post by KevinJaspers »

Hello Everybody,

I've updated my taranis today to 2.0.15
But it wont start anymore.
It only shakes.

Somebody experience with it?

Already thanks.

Greats Kevin
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'm guessing you have a Taranis Plus, since it has a Haptic. You have probably flashed firmware for the standard Taranis instead of the Plus.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Borto

Post by Borto »

Hi there.
Sorry to interrupt.I've a problem that has maybe something to see with this update.
My Taranis won't bind to my X4RSB. I'm pretty sure I apply the correct procedure as I can bind my X8R and D4R without problem.
If I use the external module XJT iso the internal one I can bind the receiver normally.
I bought the radio, X8R receiver and XJt module from international shops, but I bought the X4RSB here in Belgium.
Could it be a problem of incompatibility between Eu and International firmwares?
Thanks.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes. You need to have the same firmware variant on all your devices.
MattyB

Post by MattyB »

vieuxdruide wrote:hi it's official
Interesting, many thanks... Where did that come from? Surprised that it has no logos, dates or anything if it is an official FrSky document...
heliphil

Post by heliphil »

from the German FRSKY importer I believe
Erni

Post by Erni »

imanexcellentdriver

Post by imanexcellentdriver »

KevinJaspers,

I'm not sure if the above notes made sense, but I had the same problem. In your OpenTX settings there's a pulldown for "Radio Type." Make sure it's set to your proper radio: Taranis or Taranis-Plus.

Like this: Image

Then re-start OpenTX and it'll ask if you want to download the new firmware. Say yes and have fun. Of course, make sure you've backed up the original firmware as a safety.

Enjoy.
vieuxdruide

Post by vieuxdruide »

MattyB wrote:
vieuxdruide wrote:hi it's official
Interesting, many thanks... Where did that come from? Surprised that it has no logos, dates or anything if it is an official FrSky document...
http://www.modelisme.com/forum/aero-rad ... ost2393416
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

An update on the 2015 EU XJT/X8R firmware.
I've done some monitoring on the signals to the XJT.
I have been aware that you can see a small dip in the supply voltage when the module is actually transmitting.
The XJT also outputs a "heartbeat" signal on pin 2 (from the top), active low, open collector.

On the 'old' (non EU) firmware, I see a negative going pulse on the heartbeat every 9mS with a duration of 0.5 mS. At the end of this pulse, I see a dip in the supply voltage that lasts for around 4mS. This is absolutely regular.

On the EU firmware the heartbeat pulse is 1mS wide, but sometimes it is 10mS wide! At the end of the heartbeat pulse, there is a dip in the supply voltage that lasts for around 7mS. So, when the heartbeat is 10mS wide, the XJT misses a transmission slot.
However, when it does transmit, it is transmitting for longer.

Given that the PXX protocol (radio to module) only supports passing the channel data for 8 channels, and we send 8 channels every 9mS, so 16 channels every 18mS, I'm guessing that the non-EU firmware only sent 8 channels every 9mS, but the EU firmware, since it transmits for longer, may be sending all 16 channels when it transmits. If so, then if it listens, and skips a 9mS transmit slot, it 'catches up' by sending all 16 channels in the next slot.

If this is correct, then it could be missing transmitting half the time, but still sends as much information as before.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

MikeB wrote:No, you can't flash a Rx using a USB cable.

Is "maintenance mode" now available in openTx?
I implemented "maintenance mode" in ersky9x, it should be being added to openTx. If it is not there yet, do the following:

1. Copy the Rx firmware to a "Firmware" sub-directory on the SD card (not "Firmwares").
2. Backup your EEPROM.
3. Either backup your flash memory, or make sure you have a copy of the firmware available.
4. Go here: http://code.google.com/p/ersky9x/source ... vn%2Ftrunk, and download ersky9x for your Tx, x9d_rom.bin for the Taranis, x9dp_rom.bin for the Plus.
5. Flash the .bin file to the Tx, then power off the Tx.
6. Hold the two horizontal trim switches APART and power on, this will enter maintenance mode.
7. Connect your Rx SPort connection to the correct pins of the external module connector. Take GREAT CARE to get these connections correct. The bottom three pins are, from the bottom, signal, ground, power, the SPort connections on the Rx are signal, power, ground, so two wires need to cross over.
8. In the maintenance menu, select "Update ext. Sport device", then select the correct file from the list. Note ersky9x uses the 6 buttons differently from openTx, see the labels on the LCD for their new function.
9. Confirm the firmware update and wait for it to complete. It does take quite a long time, a minute or 2.
10. Power off the Tx and disconnect the Rx from it.
11. Flash openTx back to the Tx.
12. Your EEPROM should still be correct as long as you didn't run ersky9x other than in maintenance mode, otherwise restore your EEPROM.
Done!
Mike.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Royston1948

Post by Royston1948 »

imanexcellentdriver wrote:KevinJaspers,

I'm not sure if the above notes made sense, but I had the same problem. In your OpenTX settings there's a pulldown for "Radio Type." Make sure it's set to your proper radio: Taranis or Taranis-Plus.

Like this: Image

Then re-start OpenTX and it'll ask if you want to download the new firmware. Say yes and have fun. Of course, make sure you've backed up the original firmware as a safety.

Enjoy.

I have the Taranis Plus but in the settings there is no Taranis Plus but only Taranis as per your screenshot any idea where to find it. New to all is open source stuff so a bit baffling.

Regards
Roy
ActionDrone

Post by ActionDrone »

Hi,

what's the limitations (or plus) of the new EU firmwares?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I don't think anybody really knows how the new regulation actually affects anything in practice.
adchesney

Post by adchesney »

Dear Folks,

I wonder if you can help me, especially after reading this thread?

I currently have one X8R on a TBS Disc Pro; one on a DJI F550, and the new one I ordered from you will be on a DJI F450 - all of these are running on DJI Naza V2 flight controllers.

I have a Taranis running on OpenTX 2.15

The issue I have is getting the X8R to bind.

I have taken the X8R from each of my existing models and will bind in seconds. However, using the new X8R it will not bind.

All the jumpers are identical - hence the reason why I wanted an X8R as it makes my life simple.

The new X8R will go to bind mode (red and green LEDS) but will not bind.

I can't be doing anything wrong as I have identical systems.

Following reading this thread, I tried to bind in D8 Mode - and it binds! However, I need to use SBUS and D8 mode does not support this.

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

Regards

ANDREW (Yateley, UK)
ActionDrone

Post by ActionDrone »

Yes. Update the FW of both RX and TX using erSKY. It will work in D16.

https://youtu.be/jz6qnTsHcEE
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As this thread explains you either need to reflash your new receivers with the non-EU firmware or reflash your radio and all older X series receivers with the EU firmware so that everything is the same.
adchesney

Post by adchesney »

Dear Guys,

Thank you.

The video suggested by ActionDrone seems great -

I'm going to give this a try on Friday night...with a beer (or two!)

ANDREW
adchesney

Post by adchesney »

Dear Folks,

I flashed my X8R to non-EU via the S-PORT - and was able to bind the X8R to the Taranis.

However, I could not see how to update the "Internal XJT" so as I'm on 2.0.15 I did not do this - is this OK?

I ask because Yesterday I had two near “fly-aways” I have two quadcopters both on E300s with Naza 2.

I waited for GPS lock (it took some time) and as I was nervous as last flying was back in September last year. I just hovered about 6 feet above ground and about 10 feet away.

Then all of a sudden the quad rose about 40 feet and I had no control (sticks did not respond), I tried to cut the motors but sticks would not respond – I engaged failsafe and the Quad came back home (phew)

I noticed whilst hovering and before it raised its elevation, the Naza light pattern was something like - green, green, red, amber, green, red, red,.

This happened TWICE with two different setups – any ideas?

I was so scared and I WILL NOT fly again until this is resolved, and I can’t afford to injure anyone or damage property.

I am using a Taranis with 2.0.15 and X8R receivers.

I was thinking about tying some string to the quad, so during a test, I can at least control any fly-away (is this a good idea)?

ALL VERY SCARY!

Regards

ANDREW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You only need to update the internal XJT if you want to change everything to the EU firmware.
Currently the 'official' openTx 2.0.15 doesn't support updating SPort devices, however, I built a version of openTx 2.0.15 with "maintenance mode" in it to allow this operation, see here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6847.

Regarding your "fly-aways", I would first suggest you do a full range check, in range check mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
adchesney

Post by adchesney »

Dear Mike

Thank you

I have three "non-EU" X8Rs and I know this sounds like I have more money than sense, but tonight I've ordered a new Taranis so as to eliminate the issue of the transmitter.

£150 is a very small cost compared with the equipment, life, property, etc.

I'm now not confident at all about updating firmware (OpenTX), etc, and wonder if I've done something wrong! I did update the X8R to International so that I could have all my X8R's on same firmware (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz6qnTs ... e=youtu.be)

I will do a Range Check on the Taranis.

THANK YOU

ANDREW
littlbee

Post by littlbee »

I have been a very long Spektrum DX8 user until I switeched to a FrSky Taranis X9D Plus in April '15. The X9D Plus which I bought has the frsky firmware version opentx-x9dp-v2.0.9.2-eu. I bought my Taranis together with 2 D4R-ii receivers which I have immediately flashed (prior to any binding tentative) with the 27ms firmware using a regular usb/ftdi cable. I am unable to bind the rx and tx, as on the Taranis menus the only choice I have as RF Internal Module is "d16-eu" and "off" while the d4r-ii receiver requires the internal module to be set to "d8".

I finally found a way to bind the rx and tx, which is to import the model I defined on the Taranis into OpenTX Companion, change the RF Internal Module setting to d8, then write the models back into the Taranis. From there on I can bind the receiver. But for any reason if later on I go onto the first or setting page of my model on the Taranis itself, it would then switch back the internal RF module setting to d16-eu and I would need to go back to the PC using OpenTX Companion to set it right. This happened when on the field a few days ago as I was showing the Taranis to a friend, if he hadn't his laptop with him witha 3G modem I would just not have been able to fly :-(

So at first I was afraid the Taranis I bought was just unable to get to the d8 setting, but this above proves there is no limitation in the internal RF module itself. It seems that somehow the Taranis is not able to read the right modes from the internal RF module or the RF module does not present the right modes to the Taranis.

Now, even if I have a workaround, I'm kind of stuck. Obviously I don't want to get such dependency about the proximity of a PC with OpenTX Companion if I need to change things on my model settings or just bind new receivers. I have people telling me all I need to do is upgrade the Taranis to the latest stable OpenTX firmware, which I believe now is 2.0.17. Some others tell me I need to flash both the Taranis to the latest OpenTX firmware AND the internal RF module but without any indication about which versions to use etc.

Could anyone help ?

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”