Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
kd4gfy

Taranis X9D Plus works but wont connect to Computer

Post by kd4gfy »

Taranis wont connect properly

Computer running Windows 7 64
Taranis 2.0.12
OperTX 2.0.12

When I first connect my Taranis X9D Plus to the computer with the USB, I get the screen on the device manager showing that the STM32bootloader is installed on the computer. I then open Open TX Companion for Taranis and try to download or upload firmware after the Device manager shows the STM bootloader is installed and get the Zadig screen requesting firmware update.

From Zadig, I click on options to show all and it shows the STM bootloader. I then update the WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385) driver and it succeeds. The device manager still shows the STM bootloader installed, Try to read the firmware and OpenTX Companion opens Zadig agn asking me to reinstall the driver. I rechecked the device manager and it still shows the STM32 bootloader is loaded. I checked the settings in OpenTX Companion for taranis and it showd my Taranis X9D Plus as being the selected model.

I also tried to download and up load the Eprom firmware from OpenTX Companion for Taranis using the following steps
1. While holding the 2 lower trims to the center and turning on the Taranis
2. The Taranis screen Showed the bootloader menu.
3. I then connect the USB to the Taranis and then the computer
4. The Taranis showed that the USB was connected
5. The device manager on the computer did not now show the STM32 bootloader installed
6. When I tried to upload or download the Eprom, open TX said that the radio did not exist or my sd card was not connected.
7. I have removed the SD card and copied all the files to my computer and reinstalled it in the Taranis.
8. I know the card is properly installed because I am able to read the data from it on the Taranis.
9. I have tried sever different USB cableand get the same results.

Any suggestions?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis X9D Plus works but wont connect to Computer

Post by MikeB »

With the bootloader running, you don't get the STM32 bootloader, instead, you should get two hard drives appearing on the computer. Does this happen?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kd4gfy

Post by kd4gfy »

No I dont Mike.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are the USB ports USB 3? There have been some problems using them.
If they are USB 3, do you have a USB 2 port you could try?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kd4gfy

Post by kd4gfy »

All are USB 2

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Maybe there is something wrong with the bootloader. You could try the following:
Go to this post: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676#p65894 and download the file "ersky9x_rom+9xr+x9d+x9dp.zip" from 31 Oct. Extract the x9dp_rom.bin.

Take the SD card out of the Taranis and plug it in to the PC. Copy this file to the "firmwares" sub-directory. At the same time, you might as well copy the 2.0.12 openTx.bin to the same directory.
Put the Sd card back in the Taranis.
There is a method, under the SD browser I believe (I do it differently on ersky9x), to allow you to update the bootloader. Use this to update the bootloader to the one in x9dp_rom.bin.
Now restart the Taranis in bootloader mode, plug in the USB, and see whether you get the two hard drives appearing. If you do, that shows the hardware and this bootloader are working. I'm not sure if this bootloader will work with Companion, the drives and/or files may have different names.
You can put the original bootloader back using the same method, just use the openTx.bin file instead.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

kd4gfy wrote:I also tried to download and up load the Eprom firmware from OpenTX Companion for Taranis using the following steps
1. While holding the 2 lower trims to the center and turning on the Taranis
2. The Taranis screen Showed the bootloader menu.
3. I then connect the USB to the Taranis and then the computer
4. The Taranis showed that the USB was connected
5. The device manager on the computer did not now show the STM32 bootloader installed
What did it show instead? When doing this you should have "FrSky Taranis Bootloader", no STM.

Several people are not reading the instructions correctly and install Zadig on "FrSky Taranis Bootloader", which then breaks the Windows mass storage driver leading to the drives not appearing.
If that's what you did, you need to go in the device manager (with radio connected as per your steps above), find the "FrSky Taranis Bootloader", and remove the drivers for that. Unplug/replug USB and the correct drivers will be reinstalled.

Zadig is ONLY to be installed on a radio that is powered OFF.
kd4gfy

Post by kd4gfy »

Thanks Kilrah. Will try your suggestion
kd4gfy

Post by kd4gfy »

Got iit working. I had to put Taranis in bootloader and then connect to computer. The windows explorer screen shows 2 new drives.
1: Taranis
2: disc drive F
I am able to connect wiith Open TX Compnion. For some reason, Companion is only showing 4 sound files when creating a special function switch.
When I try to create a Special Function switch on the Taranis, it does not show all the sound files on the SD. How can I get the Taranis to recognize all the sound files on the SD?
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

kd4gfy wrote: When I try to create a Special Function switch on the Taranis, it does not show all the sound files on the SD. How can I get the Taranis to recognize all the sound files on the SD?
So "Taranis X9D Plus works but wont connect to Computer" seems to be solved ;)

But there is a new issue ... :(
kd4gfy

Post by kd4gfy »

Got the sound files playing now.
thanks
kevinsray

Post by kevinsray »

when connecting Taranis to PC, do you power on Taranis first?
Do you get the 2 drives if you don`t power on into bootloader meny?
kd4gfy

Post by kd4gfy »

kevinsray wrote:when connecting Taranis to PC, do you power on Taranis first?
Do you get the 2 drives if you don`t power on into bootloader meny?
thanks for the reply kevinsray

For whatever reason, it started working fine. No problems now
jazzab76

Post by jazzab76 »

Thanks MikeB, fired up Taranis for first time today and been stressing about dodgy connection to PC saw your USB 3 port tip and now I am ready to go flying. Such a simple thing!!!
jortronm

Post by jortronm »

Hi Guys,
I have the same problem and even though I have read this thread several time I don’t get how you guys solved the problem.
I have got a brand new Taranis X9D Plus and I cannot connect it to the PC.
I want to edit the models in the Tx using the PC and then upload them back in the transmitter.
I have installed the latest version of Companion9X (V 1.52) and in the preferences I have selected “openTx for FrSky TARANIS X9D" in the firmware dropdown and clicked “OK”
I put the Tx in BootLoader by holding to the 2 lower trims to the centre and turning on the Taranis.
The Tx shows the BootLoder screen (2.0.9).
I then connect the USB to the Taranis and then the computer
I wait for a moment and 2 new drives show up in the PC. One of the drives has two files (EEPROM and Firmware) and the other drives contains the sounds… etc.
When I click Reade EEPRROM in Accompanion9X the program gives me a message “Impossible to identify the radio on your system, please verify the eeprom disk is connected”
I’m running Windows 8.1 with USB 2
Thanks
Jorge
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Companion 1.52 is too old to support the Plus. You would need to use companion 2.0.17, and to upgrade the radio firmware to that same version.
dogstar

Re: Taranis X9D Plus works but display frozen.

Post by dogstar »

Flyers ...I'm having a related but different problem: No Bootloader menus & display is frozen.

My system: Taranis Plus, OpenTX firmware has been updated to ver 2.13....a real hassle but it's done. Taranis seems to be operating normally. Taranis confirms that it's ver 2.13
-----
Companion ver 2.13 is installed on my Mac (Yosemite O/S) & running OK. Yes DFU Util also installed on Mac.
Moving on ....Bootloader 2.13 starts on Taranis as it's supposed to ....(2 fingers on trims, then power ON)..... only a single line of text is displayed at top. No Bootloader menus, no sounds, no joy. Completely unresponsive. Nothing is displayed on Mac either (but not sure anything would be). Tried this procedure several times.
-----
If I power-off the switch then Bootloader text remains displayed... that is, the Taranis display is frozen. It will not power-off. Only way is to pull battery plug. Upon reconnecting battery Taranis now behaves OK. If I plug-in USB cable at back.... again, No Bootloader menus... transmitter is completely unresponsive 'til I unplug battery.

Hope someone can help. Thx dogstar
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Try removing the SD card, if still same try reflashing the bootloader.
ulavenger

Re: FIX FOR Taranis X9D Plus works but wont connect to Computer

Post by ulavenger »

HI.

I found that the solution is shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-rDT70OY0M
Basically, push both lower trim switches towards the center, instead of the sticks as you switch on.

Works well for me on my new Taranis Plus.!

Kevin
eerobicheaux

Post by eerobicheaux »

I have more or less the same issue. (Mac OS10.12.5 with Windows 7 running within Parallels 12.2.1) New radio and figured I would update to 2.2. First of all, downloaded Mac 2.2 companion. It would not load the X9D+. Open Windows, downloaded Windows 2.2 companion and was able to flash the firmware. Watched a couple of Painless360 videos and figured I would add audio files and work with Companion but I cannot get either system to see open the radio. When I go through the process of connecting to USB (3). the X9D+ shows I have Bootloader Versions 2.1.6. Figures this was the issue as the radio and Companions are 2.2. Loaded the 2.2 firmware on the SD card by separately installing in in my laptop and copying the files, but the radio will not recognize the copied file. Now, everytime I connect the X9D it gets hung up and I have to disconnect the battery to get out of Bootloader. Not sure what to do. Tried two different computers, same results. I may have copied over the Zadig files in Windows but could not find the Bootloader file.
eerobicheaux

Post by eerobicheaux »

This is in response to my above post. I figured out my problem by doing a bunch of reading and putting together pieces of information. After 10 hours of lost time it finally works. This is intended to help someone in my spot:

1: New radio came with Bootloader 2.1.6. Found out that this Bootloader has issues. When installing new firmware via Companion, the firmware is flashed but not the Bootloader as it is the program running. So now there is a problem because the Bootloader is of a different version than the firmware, particularly for 2.2
2. To flash the Bootloader, the new firmware needs to be copied to the SD Card/Firmware folder. One VERY IMPORTANT piece of information is that this file must not exceed 32 characters, including the period and ending. If so, OpTx will not see the file.
3. The SD card must be formatted in FAT 32. My Mac kept formatting it in FAT16 and it would give me a disk error.
4. There are only two methods of updating to Bootloader. The best method, the one I used was to copy the firmware as described above, to the SD Card/Firmware folder by taking it out of the radio, installing in on your computer and copying the file. Now put it back into the radio.
5. Turn on the radio, long menu button, page button, scroll down to "Firmware" select, select firmware version, Flash Bootloader.

https://github.com/opentx/opentx/wiki/T ... ootloaders

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”