Help - Trainer Switch actuates throttle

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Redbrickman

Help - Trainer Switch actuates throttle

Post by Redbrickman »

Firstly, apologies for not posting in the general model forum but the POST NEW TOPIC button does not appear :(

I can't figure out what I have done wrong but I have set up a basic model (Funcub Buddy) to allow a Spektrum Dx6i to act as slave. I tested it and all seemed OK but I have done something wrong because when I flick the SH switch it acts like the throttle stick and controls the motor.

I have attached the eeprom if anyone could be so kind as to take a look. Also haven't set up a sticky throttle on this yet as I didn't want to add anything else until I solve this.
Attachments
FC-Bu.eepe.txt
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Maintain thine airspeed.
Lest the ground arise and smite thee!

jhsa

Re: Help - Trainer Switch actuates throttle

Post by jhsa »

Did you calibrate the other radio on the trainer menu? Don't know if the taranis is the same as with the 9x but if so you must center all the sticks and then calibrate the trainer input

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've had a look at your .eepe file. I think you may have the channel mappings wrong. The model is using TAER order. I thought this is the same order the DX6i sends the channels, but on the trainer menu you don't map 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Thanks for the replies, will take a look tomorrow after some shut eye ;).

Think I probably failed to save the EEprom last time so maybe the channel order was mixed up as it did work when I set it up initially.
Maintain thine airspeed.
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Mike,

I have had a look.

I do not know any way to view the Trainer menu in C9x but here is the screen settings on the trainer menu in the radio

THR :- 100 CH1
Aileron :- 100 CH2
Ele :- 100 CH3
Rud :- 100 CH4

Am I missing something else?

Is it correct to set the switch up in Custom Functions? (I have never set up buddy box before)

I have CF1 SH (down arrow) Trainer Enabled ON

Even without the Buddy lead connected the THR powers the throttle.

Hoping to use this today in perfect flying weather, unusual for UK :)
Maintain thine airspeed.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

C9X trainer menu is in the GENERAL SETTINGS, there is a trainer tab. Looking there, with your eepe loaded, PPM1 is mapped to channel 4.
On the radio, go to the trainer menu, with the buddy box plugged in. The CAL values at the bottom should change when you move the sticks on the buddy box. With no buddy box, they default to 0 (centre/half throttle).
You should also be able to check what is happening on the "bars" (servo output) display. In normal operation, check which bar moves with the throttle stick, then go into trainer mode and see which bar moves with the student throttle stick.

On er9x/ersky9x, I added (at Jhsa'a suggestion) a lock on using the trainer inputs such that, if there is NO trainer input, then control is never swapped to the trainer inputs. This provides a safety mechanism to prevent the throttle going to half setting.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Thanks Mike,

I found the trainer menu in CS9 and changed them all to 1,2,3,4 as you go down the list but it still stayed the same. I'll play around with it later but for now I decided that today is the day I need to "go solo" and the weather is looking favourable for my "interesting" landing approaches.

Thanks for the info, I will work my way through it slowly and get it working. Good idea on the ER9x - maybe that will find its way into Taranis too.
Maintain thine airspeed.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Open an issue for this, so that I don't forget to add it before OpenTX 2.0 is out!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's there already, was scheduled for 2.0x
Moved it into 2.0
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That's a very good idea folks (said with a cigar on the corner of my mouth :) Even if I don't smoke :mrgreen: )

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Redbrickman

Post by Redbrickman »

Had a great afternoon's flying, the first day outdoors this year and the first real test of the Taranis for me after setting up lots of extras. I think I actually made more progress on the programming side today than I have ever done. Telemetry worked a treat, great to get a warning when time to land instead of guesswork and great to have triple rates available.

Didn't set up logging :( but have just completed it by following a tutorial and will be useful to view the log next time out.

I'm chuffed as I brought the Funcub back in one piece! Let hope good weather continues for a few days.

My electric flight club members were amazed at hearing the Telemetry as they all have dx6i's, but maybe not for long :)
Maintain thine airspeed.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Nice one.. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”