Taranis haptic mod

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
mpjf01

Taranis haptic mod

Post by mpjf01 »

These are the FRSKY instructions for the haptic mod (vibrator)

http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... nt%20Guide#

They state that they only apply to Version B Transmitters.

A board can be fitted to a Version A Tx on the non-throttle side if you remove the unused "throttle" friction plates from the gymbal (at least with a mode 1 TX). Is the signal wiring compatible between the Version A and Version B transmitters?

Kilrah

Re: Taranis haptic mod

Post by Kilrah »

mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

C9X shows (in custom functions) a greyed out "Play Haptic" option suggesting that there will be a way to operate haptic in a future version of OpenTx. Presumably this will utilise the wiring shown in the Version B transmitter install instructions. Can you please confirm that this wiring (and the firmware) will be compatible with the wiring referred to in the previous post.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes. Will be in tomorrow's 1.99 nightly build.
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Thanks. I wil be able to install now.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

If I'm reading the Frsky revB DIY wiring correctly?
Has anyone that's done the haptic mod to a rev B Taranis noted what P8 pin 7 is actually labeled?
On my Rev B I bought dec 2013, pin 7 from the left counting right, is labeled Agnd? It appears to be a ground? Frsky only uses the label of "signal" in their DIY info. Can anyone give more details on what pin on the CPU this pin7 actually connects to or where this "signal" comes from and what's its actual name is?aybe I can search for it. I'm concerned that like the rev A being different from the latest rev B, my rev B is also not the same.
Sadly I'd look it up on a schematic if one was available.
I'm assuming the source is the same for all the boards but gets redirected to different connectors or board locations depending on the board version.
Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk, small keys and a big finger.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Try looking at the main board at the other end of the cable and seeing what, if anything, the pin/wire is labelled. On the main board it should connect to Port C, bit 12, which is pin 80 of the processor.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Taranis haptic mod

Post by ShowMaster »

Thank you so much for this info Mike. I'm going to get this solved and working!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Rev A haptic a success! FW worked, thanks Mike. More later.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

About the rev B haptic mod and having pin 7 on P8 is lifted out of the connector.
Quote from Frsky tech support I emailed.

"Thanks for contacting FrSky. Yes, the printed board label of X9D is "Agnd"! Before that, we don't use pin 7 signal, so connect it to "Agnd" directly, now you only need to pull out and connect with Vibration white wire, and this signal comes from PC12 pin of stm32 CPU. (Pin80)
Best regards"

So we have to lift pin 7 off of ground by cutting the trace, or cutting the wire, or the easiest, taking the pin and wire out of the connector.

ShowMaster

Taranis haptic mod

Post by ShowMaster »

Frsky haptic board schematic.
Took a look under my microscope and drew this from what I saw. All parts are SMD. The transistor has a J6 on it, the diode maybe a C.
For the size and price, making your own board is more is about the challenge or avoiding shipping issues, or having the parts I think. It's very nice for the price.

I did build my own for my rev A because I could. Bought one for my rev B.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399905594.496645.jpg

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:Yes. Will be in tomorrow's 1.99 nightly build.
I could some guidance.
I've just loaded Otx v1.99 build 2014/05/12 and Companion install v1.99 May 12 2014.
I'm trying to test my haptic installs.
I selected the haptic option 1 every 2 seconds in the special function menu and assigned it to SE down arrow.
I see it highlight when I flip the switch but no haptic. Before I go to far, is there a step I'm missing or FW?
This acts the same way on my A and B board.
I'll scope pin 80 on the stm32 next.
Thanks

Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

At makefile Haptic=YES ?

Helle
ShowMaster

Taranis haptic mod

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm not familiar with that menu option but I'll look for it.
What menu screen is it in please?
Thank you

Helle

Post by Helle »

Hy,

When you compile yourself, at the opentx-next/radio/src directory
There is the makefile to set all options you need for different radios
and there is a the standard option set Haptic=No

Hope is for the Taranis too, not only for a Mod of th9x

Helle
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

He's not compiling himself, he's using the nightly builds.

It's supposed to work, but maybe something got broken.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thank you Kilrah for clearing up the misunderstanding. After I posted my reply I realized he was talking about some form of compiling. My plan is just a simple test of my haptic install on my A and B boards. I had hoped the open tx coders could post a simple patched opentx that would just check the haptic. Nothing major or even ok to fly with. Just a quick test. Frsky has pulled their haptic FW from their site. I'm not exactly sure what nightly opentx version actually does trigger the haptic motor or how to setup a test switch? I do see the option.
Ideally, the FW would be patched with a test switch pre programmed and the FW labeled as a haptic test version.
That way everyone adding haptic would use the exact same FW and switch to test it. If it didn't work the FW would not be suspect and that would make the hardware troubleshooting easier. Same FW and sw test for all new haptic installs.
Later we would worry about complex programming of the haptic trigger options.

I did load erskyX9D I'll call it, on my A board, and it did trigger my haptic install. Not so after loading the latest V1.99 opentx?
I'm trying to avoid messing with my B too much and was hoping v1.99 would work.

BTW, the new SD FW flash option MikeB suggested and now with openTX having its own version, is a nice option. Much easier to flash with or swap FW's. A welcome improvement!

Finally, maybe V1.99 does support haptic as reported, I do see it in the menu, and I'm just not programming it correctly?
As I originally posted, I could use some help programming my haptic to work in a known version of opentx and the settings to have a sw trigger it.
Yes, I'm programming challenged at times but I'm trying to keep up.
Thanks

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Wow, now Frsky's site is down.
Simple project seems to keep hitting speed bumps.

jtaylor

Post by jtaylor »

ShowMaster wrote:
Kilrah wrote:Yes. Will be in tomorrow's 1.99 nightly build.
I could some guidance.
I've just loaded Otx v1.99 build 2014/05/12 and Companion install v1.99 May 12 2014.
I'm trying to test my haptic installs.
I selected the haptic option 1 every 2 seconds in the special function menu and assigned it to SE down arrow.
I see it highlight when I flip the switch but no haptic. Before I go to far, is there a step I'm missing or FW?
This acts the same way on my A and B board.
I'll scope pin 80 on the stm32 next.
Thanks

Did you also enable it in general settings "Haptic Strength" > 0? I don't have it yet, but I think I saw where someone had it working and was using a setting of 5.

Jim
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

It's all working, whew! I got a message from Barry2020 to set the haptic strength in the first radio menu page. Next set the special function to a switch and select haptic and how many times and how often.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400033602.969553.jpg
Doing all this allows me to test the haptic with a switch. So simple when all the menu options are turned on.
I'm using last nights 1.99 build.
Thank you everyone for your ideas. I'm sure this will all be covered in detail when the official FW is released.
My home built haptic has a little larger motor on my A board. It does rattle the case a little more than the Frsky board. No big deal to swap out the motor for a larger one if you've got numb hands.
Moving on.

dwilliams1315

Post by dwilliams1315 »

Help! i've just got the haptic board (along with all the other upgrade bits). I have a rev A tx but everything seems to be in the same location as the Frsky instructions. I've wired everything up, installed the latest nightly and the new companion. I've set the Haptic level to 5 on the radio menu and set it to activate when SH is held (along with a beep). However nothing happens! Do I need the Taranis Plus firmware, or is there something else obvious that I've oveelooked?

Cheers, Dave
Attachments
2014-05-14 21.02.16.jpg
ShowMaster

Taranis haptic mod

Post by ShowMaster »

If you do have an A board you'll have the audio board. Don't worry if an IC is missing.
The A board does require a different signal connection. It's not the same as the B board.
Does your A board have this audio daughter board? If so you'll do all your connection to it. The VCC (+3.3 v) and ground are on the left side of my pix. The signal wire will go to the second pad on the right 3_SD as I read it. MikeB post this info and I'll have to post the link to it.
Frsky's DIY sheet states the wiring is not for the A board.
I added a servo connector pigtail in line with the haptic wiring so I can separate the main board.

A board audio daughter board

This is where MikeB said to connect the signal wire into the haptic board and it works for me on my A board
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400117254.360382.jpg
Again, I did all 3 connections, power, ground, and signal on this board.I did use 1.99 5/13/14 for my test. I did set the haptic strength to 5 in the radio menu. I did assign a haptic sw in special functions. It does work!

I didn't lift pin 7 on the P8 connector on my rev A board.

I did use Pin 7 lifted on P8 on my B board and that worked per Frsky's DIY info.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400117758.362904.jpg
Finally, the signal wire input to your haptic board wants to come directly from the stm32 pin 80 of 100 pins. No matter where you get it, it must be pin 80 for signal, ungrounded.
Hopefully this info will get you going.

dwilliams1315

Post by dwilliams1315 »

Thanks for your help. All working now. It turns out that if I had read this thread and the other thread linked above properly I wouldn't have got into such a mess!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

So was it the A board wiring issue or settings?
Glad it's working.

dwilliams1315

Post by dwilliams1315 »

It was a Board A issue. I was fooled when I opened the case as it looked identical to the board shown in the Frsky instructions. I should have relied on the collective brains of the forums instead and followed Mike's instructions on the other thread.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Mike's usually not wrong! We're lucky to have him onboard. He usually has already tested his ideas before posting them. The forum has a good support group that keeps the rest of us moving forward.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I have a rev. A Taranis (or at least it states Rev. A on a sticker inside the module compartment) however I have no daughter board, no audio board or anything similar to the photos shown in this thread of what's suppose to be a Rev. A board. All my internals mirror any of the rev. B photos. Additionally the production date is listed as April 2014, assuming FrSky is using a normal convention to label their boards a rev. B would follow a rev. A & I understood the board was revised around the new year 2014... Am I missing something?

Is the a definitive way to determine which board you have? Something better than a sticker?

Thanks,
Wormwood
Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I should have mentioned that even though my Tx is labeled with a Rev. A on it, the Rev. B haptic installation method works fine for me.... as a result I'm simply confused as to what version I have.

Wormwood
jtaylor

Post by jtaylor »

The sticker inside the module compartment is NOT the radio revision, it's the continent code (A is North America). The revision is part of the serial number on the outside of the module cover. Rev. A ends in A01 and rev. B ends in B01. There was a C01 back when they were switching over that contained both A and B parts and I think was only sold by Hobby King.
Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Ahh, thank you... Makes more sense now.

Wormwood

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”