Haptic on Early Taranis

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
amelluk

Re: Haptic on Early Taranis

Post by amelluk »

Didn't work for me on Taranis A. Motor does not turn. Puzzling. No idea what I am doing wrong - wondering if theres something wrong with my frsky upgrade board.

I am running opentx 2.0.15 with haptic options. haptic is enabled.
I have established that there is 3.1V on the red and black wires at the haptic board when the tx is turned on
I also established that when I add a 'special function' on the taranis to buzz haptic feedback when Switch H is on, I see a short signal on the yellow wire, signifying a haptic event. Hard to establish what the max V is on my meter, but it does look to be about 3v for a second or so. The motor does not turn. If I increase the haptic feedback duration in the special function screen to 10s, I still only get a second or so of voltage on the signal line.

Why doesn't the motor turn - anyone got an idea? Wiring to motor looks ok. I see about 23 or so ohms across the motor wires (when connected to board)

EDIT: the red and black wires on the haptic upgrade board are the wrong way round. The black wire should go to the centre contact. Thanks to flarssen for spotting this.

Thank you.

[thumbnail]http://i.imgur.com/77Kmkf4.jpg[/thumbnail]

[thumbnail]http://i.imgur.com/dlej7vm.jpg[/thumbnail]

[thumbnail]http://i.imgur.com/M85C1c8.jpg[/thumbnail]

[thumbnail]http://i.imgur.com/4648Tlt.png[/thumbnail]
Last edited by amelluk on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

flarssen

Post by flarssen »

Try measuring voltage on motor output during a haptic event. If you get 3.3V, motor is bad. If not it could be a bad transistor, or solder joint, on the haptic board.

Fred
amelluk

Post by amelluk »

flarssen wrote:Try measuring voltage on motor output during a haptic event. If you get 3.3V, motor is bad. If not it could be a bad transistor, or solder joint, on the haptic board.
Thanks for the pointers. When haptic event is not happening voltage across the motor terminals is 44mV, when the event occurs it is approx 85mV, certainly not enough to power the motor. No luck.

[thumbnail]http://i.imgur.com/DBhiN95.png[/thumbnail]

USB microscopes are useful! Allows us to see how shocking the FrSky soldering is...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check you have 3.3V on the red wire feeding power to the haptic board.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
amelluk

Post by amelluk »

MikeB wrote:Check you have 3.3V on the red wire feeding power to the haptic board.
Yes, there is 3.1V available at the red wire on the board.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

If I'm understanding the issue?

What about powering the board external of the Taranis (2 AA batteries in series to sim 3v) and connect the boards signal in wire to the battery +. This should bias the NPN driver transistor on and run the motor full time, full speed. If that doesn't happen its a bad motor or transistor. You then would power just the motor to determine the faulty part.
The circuit was posted by me and others maybe a year ago in one of these threads along with a DIY version I made for my A at the time. I found the early Frsky haptic board motors to be very light in shaking that I purchased. Ok, but light.
SM
flarssen

Post by flarssen »

amelluk wrote:Why doesn't the motor turn - anyone got an idea?
I compared your install with mine, and you have wrong polarity on the power. Middle terminal is the negative one, on mine at least.

Fred
amelluk

Post by amelluk »

flarssen wrote: I compared your install with mine, and you have wrong polarity on the power.
Thank you! I was looking at it for ages and ages and missed this... Sometimes it is the simplest things... Appreciate it. I will make the change sometime tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amelluk

Post by amelluk »

I am pleased to confirm all is working now!
j0bro

Post by j0bro »

Really? I am going to open my Taranis at once to check mine.

EDIT: Wires seem to be soldered on the right way. Will have to test some more :x
IMG_20150328_011116.jpg
j0bro

Post by j0bro »

I fixed this in the end by replacing the motor, see my post in the original thread here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5686&p=95079#p95079
Romushock

Post by Romushock »

I also did it... Motor a bit weak, but setting haptic at max vibrations feel good. Thanks SM!
Attachments
IMG_20170721_095157.jpg
IMG_20170721_093902.jpg
IMG_20170721_093902.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 10801 times
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good job, sorry I didn't read this thread earlier.
One other option could be to use a mini Buck $.99 regular from the tx battery buss and you can dial in the voltage needed to make the motor stronger.
The logic pulses are I think pwm so you can push the motor voltage up and not burn it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

One other tip. I actually hot glued my pancake motor to the case back where my hand(s) could better feel the vibration. I also used 2 motors, one on either side in some installs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”