X8R receiver dead after a failed update [SOLVED]

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
SR71

X8R receiver dead after a failed update [SOLVED]

Post by SR71 »

I received yesterday a FRSKY serial adapter and s-port cable, so I attempted to do a firmware update of one of my old X8R rx (Aug 2013).

I followed step-by-step procedure in the FrSky manual: I installed the Silicon Labs cp210x drivers (as found in FrSky site), installed the frsky_update_Sport.
Everything went fine, I started the program (frsky_update_Sport), pointed it to use the right serial (COM4), selected the firmware file (X8R_131105.frk), waited the flashing "finding device", attached the Fr.Sky provided cable to X80's s-port: so far all good.
The download process began, the green progress bar started to increase slowly, BUT at about 40%, the computer (W7) stopped to work: red light on the X8R, the mouse pointer disappeared, keyboard dead, I was left with an unusable desktop.
Waiting 15 minute didn't cure the problem, so the only chance was to recycle power.

Now I am stuck there, with a X8R completely dead (if powered, it shows the red led lighted, but refuses to do anything).

There is a way to recover ?

TIA
Last edited by SR71 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kilrah

Re: X8R receiver dead after a failed update: how to recover

Post by Kilrah »

Did you try to redo the update?
SR71

Post by SR71 »

Kilrah wrote:Did you try to redo the update?
Yes, but I am stuck on the flashing "finding device". :?

(the receiver has the led light lighted steady)
SR71

Post by SR71 »

Kilrah wrote:Did you try to redo the update?

Whilst I was answering to Kilrah question, and the sport update program was running (finding device flashing and rx attached with red light) it did again !

Computer frozen !

So it seems simply bound to working time of the fxxxxxed program...

Does make sense try on another pc ?
There is some chance, opening the receiver, to connect a programmer ?
SR71

Post by SR71 »

So, is it good only for the trash can ?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You could ask your dealer if he's equipped to reflash them with a factory programmer and image.
I could probably do it, not sure how expensive shipping back and forth between Italy and Switzerland is, but it might just fit in a cheap letter.
SR71

Post by SR71 »

Kilrah wrote:You could ask your dealer if he's equipped to reflash them with a factory programmer and image.
I could probably do it, not sure how expensive shipping back and forth between Italy and Switzerland is, but it might just fit in a cheap letter.
Which kind of programmer is needed ?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The problem is less the programmer than the fact that you would need the unencrypted firmware image that is installed at the factory, which FrSky will obviously not release to the public.
At this point nobody has access to them, but we are working with FrSky to establish trusted "service centers" who have the knowledge and equipment to handle that kind of issues :)
I should know in a few days if I can take care of yours.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It may not solve this particular receiver, but maybe the USB port you are using couldn't supply the power needed to program the receiver.
You could try just connecting the ground the SPort signal to the receiver, and supplying power from a receiver battery. Just don't power the receiver on until you get to the "finding device" point.
I had a problem originally when trying to update the internal XJT module, powering it from USB. It took the whole computer down, it powered off and took me a while to get it back.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Bill

Post by Bill »

took the whole computer down, it powered off and took me a while to get it back
That sounds as though it's exactly what's happening to SR 71!
the mouse pointer disappeared, keyboard dead, I was left with an unusable desktop.
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”
SR71

Post by SR71 »

MikeB wrote:It may not solve this particular receiver, but maybe the USB port you are using couldn't supply the power needed to program the receiver.
You could try just connecting the ground the SPort signal to the receiver, and supplying power from a receiver battery. Just don't power the receiver on until you get to the "finding device" point.
I had a problem originally when trying to update the internal XJT module, powering it from USB. It took the whole computer down, it powered off and took me a while to get it back.
Mike,
you nailed it !
I tried again, this time, as per your suggestion, I powered the rx with a small battery, and finally the FrSky software was able to find it !

I started again the update process. However, this time it crashed even before (at 6%).

So, for sure, my W7 PC doesn't like that software and/or the driver I am using, I will have to repeat the whole process on some other PC.

Just to be sure, I am using a USB serial adapter fdd_lite_rev2 together with a SPC_Rev0.1: are they ok ?
(Software is frsky_update_Sport.exe 21/7/2013, the device drive was one I downloaded from FrSky web site)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

On my desktop PC it works flawlessly. On my Macbook Air (running Windows of course) it's OK BUT only if I'm careful not to do anything once I've started the download until it's finished, not even moving the mouse, or the transfer will hang.
The smart port timing is quite aggressive and might cause trouble on some configs, particularly slower PCs.
SR71

Re: X8R receiver dead after a failed update [SOLVED]

Post by SR71 »

Good news, I managed to update all the X8R and even the interior Taranis XJT module !

As per Mike suggestion, I autonomously powered the RX with a separate battery (detaching the red (+) wire in s-port cable) and, in this way, I managed to make the RX visible again to the FrSky software.
However, at least on my PC (W7 / [email protected]), that was not enough, I got another W7 crash (really it got frozen at 6%).
So, I uninstalled the Silabs driver (downloaded from FrSky web site) and reinstalled it again, downloading a recent release from Silabs site (http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/page ... ivers.aspx).
This was critical in order to, at least, avoid crashes.
Finally, I discovered that, as mentioned even by Kilrah, it is strongly advisable to leave the software alone, without running any other software.
Really, even in the first attempts I was non operating the PC, but Firefox was open in the background.
With the new drivers, simply closing Firefox, caused the download process to fail for timeout (no system crashes though !).

Many thanks to Mike and Kilrah for the considerate support !

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”