Using HK variometer as altimeter with Taranis

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
kazmod

Using HK variometer as altimeter with Taranis

Post by kazmod »

I found information how to configure the variometer (HK, normal precision) with my new radio Taranis and it is working correctly.
But I cannot to find any info what I need to do (using program companion9x or directly programming radio) to use this variometer as altimeter.
Where and what value I need to introduce to have it working. Second question: it is possible to have both function at the some time with taranis and one variometer?
Thanks in advance. Perhaps Scott Page will make from this question a new subject for his excellent movies on youtube?

Kilrah

Re: Using HK variometer as altimeter with Taranis

Post by Kilrah »

Just display the Alt item on a custom telemetry screen.

Sent via mobile
kazmod

Post by kazmod »

Hi Kilrah,
The Alt was and is displayed on telemetry screen. I have as well "play value" for ALt activated by a switch. I see "0" on display and hear "0 meters" even if I'm going to put the receiver on high= 2 , 3 meters ( I cannot yet place the receiver on model, winter!!!!). For my receiver D8R-xp I have chosen the option D8 in Taranis settings. Only variometer was set on Taranis, this means "range, offset, limit" , nothing for altimeter. What can be wrong? My vario is normal precision.
Thanks for your help
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There is no setting for altimeter, it just always works.
My guess is you have the vario connected to the receiver in the wrong manner (easy with all the supplied cables and possibilities). Can you post a photo of your connections?
kazmod

Post by kazmod »

I have connected all wires accordingly to manual of vario, but, but I have found here the info that in case of receiver D8R-Xp yellow wire from vario should go to Rx and not to Tx. That is true!! After connecting to Rx ( I don't know why?) all is working correctly, vario and alt. Thanks for your help !!!!! I don't know how I can "Thank you) "officially" yet.
Other question is : how that can happen, that in manual you can find completely wrong information. What finally means here "Tx" ( to transmitter?) or "Rx" ( sounds like receiver).
Perhaps is possible to connect yellow wire to "tx" and change something somewhere in settings of Taranis.

Thanks one time more,

Kazik

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The data port on the side of the receiver carries serial data. The Tx and Rx refer to the direction of the serial data so Tx is for transmit serial data and Rx is for receive serial data. These are from the view of the receiver so Tx is data OUT from the receiver (only used when updating the receiver firmware) and Rx is for data IN to the receiver.

Serial connections often cause confusion. If you have two things you want to connect together you usually need to connect Tx on one to Rx on the other. (Unless one is a modem. These are usually labelled the opposite way round!).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
petaca

Post by petaca »

Estimated mike. I have read carefully the forum and I have a question. I have a high-precision variometer FRSKY a rx xp FRSKY D8R 9RX and radio transmitter. With this equipment, you can have acoustic variometer? There are some instructions to do so? (translated by google)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I assume you have a Taranis.
Bind the Rx in D8 mode.
Connect the Variometer in serial mode to the port on the side of the D8R-XP.

Check first you can read the altitude, then we can set the vario sounds.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

Mike. thanks for replying. My radio is a transmitter 9XR. I can get acoustic variometer with that radio?. If yes, which firmware should I install on my transmitter?. Thank you very much!.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Are you still using the firmware that came with the 9XR?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

Still use the original firmware in my transmitter 9XR (I have not yet installed the er9x).
I want to clarify also that I have:
1) RX D8R FRSKY XP
2) high precision Variometer FRSKY (no need HUB).

mike thank you very much again ....
(excuse the writing translated with google)
petaca

Post by petaca »

Dear Mike. What is the version of the firmware should I install er9x to use various acoustic?
er9x.hex
erp9x-frsky.hex
or erp9x-FRSKY-noht.hex?.

Another question:
You need 9XR soldered to the transmitter module and the telemetry to see on the screen of my transmitter radio?
(this procedure: http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/converting- ... -t362.html)

thank you very much in advance for so many questions!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes you need to do the modification described.
AFTER you have done the modification, then you need er9x-frsky.hex.

NOTE: HK set protection fuses for the firmware and EEPROM so you will NOT be able to save your existing model setting. After flashing you will be need to re-enter your models, but you will then be able to save them to your PC using eepe software.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

Many thanks mike!
A doubt:
The sound of the variometer at the transmitter, is the popular "tututututuuuuuuuuutututut" or something similar?

* I did not understand very well, as is done to make the backup and restore of the models saved BEFORE upgrading my radio er9x-FRSKY ....
again, thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

HobbyKing set a LOCK in the 9XR that stops you from backing up your models.
You will need to write down the settings and enter them back in after you have upgraded.

You could run eepe, and then go through the settings and enter them into eepe. Then, after upgrading, you have your models ready to put back in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

Thank you very much mike!
I try to make a backup of my models before upgrading my EEPE 9XR ...
petaca

Post by petaca »

Dear experts.
I have connected this variometer hk hight accuracy in my er9x. I can see up on the screen perfectly.
However, I can not hear the variometer neatly, with the sensitivity shown in video tutorials ....
I'm thinking maybe I did not put the correct values ​​in my er9x menu (latest version)
Values ​​suggest that I could put on the screen 11/12 on the menu? (TELEMETRY 2), namely:

FAS SET OFF: .............?
VARIOUS SOURCE: ......?
SWITCH: .................?.
SENSITIVITY ............?
  SINK TONES: ......?

THANK YOU!
petaca

Post by petaca »

Another question (sorry for the abuse):

My flying field is 320 meters high .... That would be the "initial" height of all my flights with this variometer HK .....

My question is if there is any way to make the er9x read as "zero meter" height indicated by the variometer when turn on the radio transmitter ....

Or if there is another method to solve this problem ....

Any suggestions are welcome!
thank you very much
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

FAS Offset is for the FASV current and voltage sensor.
Vario Source: vspd
Switch: - choose a switch to enable the VARIO tones.
Sensitivity: - use small values 0, 1, 2 and see how well it performs
Sink tones: select ON if you want tones sounding when in sink, you always get tones for lift.

On the main screen press the DOWN button for a LONG time. This will take you to the telemetry screens. Use LEFT or RIGHT to step through the screens. One of them shows the Alt value (as long as the Rx is switched on with the vario connected). With this showing, press the MENU button for a LONG time, the Altitude will be set to 0.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

Many thanks mike!
excellent work.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi Mike
I am hoping that you are still keeping an eye on this thread
I am having problems with a high precision altimeter and a X8R receiver,I have bound he RX in D16 mode and cannot get any telemetry response .If I bind in D8 mode I get RSSI and voltage but no altimeter.The altimeter is connected via the S port close to the RX antenna and to one of the two identical 3pin male connectors on the altimeter
I have connected the altimeter to a V8FR-11 in another model and it works fine
I have checked all the settings on the Taranis for both models and can see no difference ,but feel that may be I have missed something?
Another question please
I fly in FAI competitions and I am sure that I read somewhere that the Taranis firmware had provision for a "FAI " switch that meant that the altimeter could be used for practice before a competition than switched off for the competition and could only be switched back on via a computer.Is this so and how do I find it?
Your help would be much appreciated
Thanks Buce
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you bind in D16 mode then the receiver should still send RSSI and receiver voltage, whether the altimeter is plugged in or not. I assume the LED on the altimeter is flashing?

To confirm your binding process, the X8R has no links fitted, and you power it on with the bind button pressed. You then set the Tx to D16 mode and select "BIND" in the menu. The Rx then has a flashing RED LED. Power off the X8R, an exit the BIND option on the Tx. Now power the X8R back on, with a servo connected. Can you control the servo OK? If so, then it is bound, and you should get telemetry from it.

For the FAI option, I think you need to use Companion, and select it as an option, then download a new copy of the firmware with this included.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi Mike
Thanks for the advice
Fixed the problem with the telemetry from the X8R.The manual that comes with it instructs you to use a link when binding in D16 ,binding without the link cured the problem

I am still searching for the FAI switch bit ,I use opentx companion for Taranis and can find no reference to it there
Thanks again for the help
Bruce

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”