Using SBUS

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
X650Morgan

Using SBUS

Post by X650Morgan »

Happy New Year!

I want to use the SBUS feature of X8R my FC is a XAircraft Super X and it supports SBUS on FUTABA and I read X8R is FUTABA compatible.

So before I connect it I am looking for some expert advice as to what I have missed, firstly my Frsky Taranis is all set up with the 7 cables from FC to RX, from what I see and read I can swap all those cables out for a single connection FC port X to SBUS X8R and need to change nothing at the radio end and I get the added benefit of having A, E, T, R, becoming channels 9, 10, 11, 12,

The pictures are from my FC manual!

What I don't understand is that I assume the X8R is communicating with my FC via the SBUS to a total of 8 channels I can plug into X8R another 8 servos in the positions 1 to 8 on the X8R but are these automatically now channels 9 to 16? and what if I wanted to plug a gimbal into channel 8 is this now channel 1, where is channel 8?
Capture.JPG
XAircraft SuperX Manual EN v1.jpg
Am I right or about to make my first mistake for 2014? :o

David

Carbo

Re: Using SBUS

Post by Carbo »

Here is my theory, i did not verify it in hardware:

SBUS can transmit 16 channels. 1-8 are transmitted in both ways, 9-16 only via SBUS (or a second X8R). Your device will use the former inputs AETR as output for SBUS channels 9-12, when in "SBUS mode". So you can use four additional channels. X8R does no channel shifting, diskrete 1-8 is always 1-8.

Bernd
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

Many thanks for that

David
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Sbus on the X8R always outputs all 16 channels at all times, there's no "sbus mode".

Servo plugs either output channels 1-8 or 9-16, depending on the jumper configuration used when binding the receiver (it's all described in the X8R's manual).
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

Kilrah wrote:Sbus on the X8R always outputs all 16 channels at all times, there's no "sbus mode".

Servo plugs either output channels 1-8 or 9-16, depending on the jumper configuration used when binding the receiver (it's all described in the X8R's manual).
Well yes I can and did read, but it goes no where to mentioning the interface with an FC that is compatible with SBUS!

you see normally you would have 7 to 8 servo leads coming out of the X8R to a FC (flight controller) that would handle the normal A, E, R, T things plus other items, most FC's have 8 ports.

With an FC that is SBUS compatible you simple connect one servo lead from X8R to FC and discard the other leads, this works with my X8R and SuperX FC, what I was hoping to find out and cannot read anywhere is do the now vacant 8 ports on the X8R become 9 to 16?

The pictures I included shows my FC connected to a Futaba RX and I read the X8R SBUS is Futaba compatible! does this go further to explain my question?

David

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

X650Morgan wrote:what I was hoping to find out and cannot read anywhere is do the now vacant 8 ports on the X8R become 9 to 16?
And as I said the Sbus port is independent, it's just there if you want to connect something to it. Using it won't automagically change pin assignment. This is independently configured with jumpers when binding the receiver, as the manual says.
You'll likely want mode 4.
x8r.png
X650Morgan

Post by X650Morgan »

Got it! thanks for the insight

David

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”