Telemetry using variometer and FAS-100

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
flierman1945

Telemetry using variometer and FAS-100

Post by flierman1945 »

I have been advised to post my question here about my Tranis. I have a problem with the new vario not talking to the tranis, I have used the vario as a bridge for the FAS-100, so use the setup explained in post on another site. After connecting up as per the pics, I found the Volts, Amps and Mah all displayed in the telemetry screen. I also set it to display Alt, hoping this is the vario output. I have set the page 13 telemetry to vario, but not allocated a switch as yet, mainly as I haven't worked out how to do that yet).
But obviously the vario is talking via the smart port because I can see V, A, and Mah. I suppose the vario can also output its own data (alt) as well as the FAS data, or am I missing something. After a couple of days trying all solutions, I bought another vario and X8R receiver and set up a new model and tried again. Exactly the same result, amps/volts and ma/h showed, but still no altitude.
There are now only 2 reasons why I cant get Alt to work, 1) I have tranny set up wrong, but can't see that, 2) the new Tranis I have possibly has a fault. I wonder whether flashing to the latest firmware release might get some result, but am a bit nervous of messing up the process.
Has anyone had problems with these new smart port vario devices, appearing to work ( the led flashes when powered), yet not outputting altitude readings. I have tried blowing over the device to get it to register some change, but still no o/p.Any advice will be appreciated.

NeilRogers

Re: Telemetry using variometer and FAS-100

Post by NeilRogers »

Ensure you have set the Vario Source to 'vario' if you are using the SPort on the Telemetry Tab
flierman1945

Post by flierman1945 »

Yes, Set to vario in the telemetry. Have now flashed Tranis to latest firmware, still no success.
flierman1945

Post by flierman1945 »

Sorted, look at this link http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=4081 You need to set the X8R receiver into D16 mode in the set up.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Hmm yep that's pretty obvious... but the X8R shouldn't even bind to your radio if it's not set to D16 mode.
Unless you used the legacy D8 compatibility mode on the X8R, which is only meant to be used with older modules and with limited functionality.

petaca

Post by petaca »

For the experienced:
I have a 9xr pro transmitter, a high precision frsky variometer and a Fs-40 Frsky ,,,,
I have the variometer connected and working correctly to my RX D8R-XP .... but I can not see the ammeter on the screen ...
I have two questions:

1) How exactly is the FAS.40 (via the variometer) connected ... what cables and port are used ... (data out and data in?) ,,,

2) Do I have to configure my transmitter so I can see amperage on the screen?

I have read and tested and I have not been able to solve it.

* I apologize for the translation in Google ...
thank you very much
petaca

Post by petaca »

friends
I wanted to know if I can get amperage telemetry on the screen (instantaneous and accumulated consumption) and Variometer. Both measurements ...

My team is:
* 9xr pro transmitter (firmwre version 220)
* D8R XP Plus FRSKY Receiver
* High-Pressure Variometer FRSKY
* FAS-40 Ammeter FRSKY

* NOTE: I can only see on-screen variometer ... (I have the FAS-40 connected through the variometer. I followed a tutorial, but I'm not sure I did it well)

** I wanted to know especially, that I must enter in the setup of the transmitter so that it receives the AMPERAJE ....

thank you very much
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Go to the Model Setup/Telemetry menu and set the current source to FAS.
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check you have the connector labelled GND/Tx/Rx on the FAS-40 connected to the DATA-IN port of the vario.

The voltage should appear as the item "FasV" and the current as "Amps". Set up a custom telemetry screen to show these two values.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
petaca

Post by petaca »

Thank you! I
see FasV: 11.2v
But does not indicate any value in Amperes and Accumulated Consumption ...
The display reads:
Amps 0.0 A
Mah 0

#Note: My connection Fas40 and variometer (Data In) is as follows:
fas40 tx out with Rx (yellow Data In cable of the variometer)
# Note 2: Data In variometer has no TX output (manual says N/C
thanks you very much
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

To get accumulated consumption, as jhsa says above "Go to the Model Setup/Telemetry menu and set the current source to FAS".

Please confirm you have a large current flowing (e.g. motors running). If you are only using a receiver and a a few servos the current may not be enough to show.
Also double check you have the battery and ESC connected to the correct sides of the FAS40.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
petaca

Post by petaca »

I apologize for your time.
The problem was an error in the connection of the fas40 ..... (battery and speed were in the reverse).
Everything works fine now!
Thank you very much for your time
petaca

FRsky FAS-40 Sensors and calibration

Post by petaca »

friends
It is possible to correct errors of reading of tension and consumption with my 9xr pro (firmware v.220)?
thank you very much
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Any telemetry value may be adjusted by using a "Scaler". With one of these, you have the options of:
Multiply
Divide
Offset + or -
The you may give the result a name and some units (V, A etc.), then use the result instead of the original value.
Scalers are also available to use as the "Current source" to get the consumption correct.

The current reading from the FasV also has a specific offset available in the telemetry menu under "FASV offset".

For example, if the FasV voltage is 3% too high, use a multiplier of 97 and a divider of 100.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The hardest part of the scalers is the math thing :( That is why people are a bit afraid of using them, I guess. Very powerful tool though if you understand how to work with it. But most of us don't understand how to get to those values. :)
If there were some visual help like sliders or buttons we could drag around, at least we could experiment better and go by trial and error. But I guess it wouldn't be so easy to implement something like that :( Maybe this is even a complete stupid idea :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”