Taranis DEAD !!!!!

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
aw73

Re: Taranis DEAD !!!!!

Post by aw73 »

i have tried all these suggestions and my x9d is still dead,does nothing. it happen trying to reflash using the usb and it got stuck in bootloader mode and the screen was on, so i unplugged the battery, ever since it will do nothing. i have flashed and reflashed with DfuSe. i have tried measuring the voltage at Q3 and it has battery voltage with the switch on. anyone have any more suggestions? please?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Flashing using dfu, when successful and the correct file is flashed is pretty much guaranteed to work.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

it didnt for me. i got the firmware directly from frsky site for the taranis x9d which is what i have. v1.0.01-130723
aw73

Post by aw73 »

i have done exactly as it shows here http://blog.dronetrest.com/flahsing-tar ... -software/. when i do this it does say it cant verify in dfu mode.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

what causes the taranis not to turn on when the usb is plugged in? i think that has something to do with it not coming on.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Is your radio a Taranis or Taranis Plus? They use different firmware.

It is normal for it not to "power up" if the USB cable was connected with power off. The radio is already powered up even with the switch off, but in the DFU bootloader in this scenario.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

my radio is a taranis.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

Kilrah wrote:Is your radio a Taranis or Taranis Plus? They use different firmware.

It is normal for it not to "power up" if the USB cable was connected with power off. The radio is already powered up even with the switch off, but in the DFU bootloader in this scenario.

i know its normal for it not to power on when the usb cable is connected. the circuit that stops the radio from powering on when the usb is connected, i think something is wrong with that circuit, maybe it still thinks the usb is connected.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi aw73,
There are now four (4) models of Taranis Radios and each one uses a different firmware, I believe.
(http://alofthobbies.com/radio/frsky-transmitters.html)
Normally the two (2) Taranis models which new people make an error with,
when updating (flashing) to the newest firmware are:
older model, Taranis-X9D
and the newer, Taranis Plus-X9DP
If you have chosen the incorrect firmware, I believe this maybe your problem.

Edit: You could try flashing erSky9x for Taranis (X9D) or Taranis Plus (X9DP), you can find here: (http://www.er9x.com/)
and the PC program you would then use to flash with, is eepSkye. Make sure you are flashing with the correct firmware.
For the User Manual, for now use the Er9x Manual and find it here: (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473).
(Note: ErSky9x Manual is being created and is not ready for release yet.)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
aw73

Post by aw73 »

ok thanks. im not new to the taranis. i have flashed with the correct firmware, the taranis x9d which is what i have owned since 2013. i have flashed it several times before without any problems, but this time something went wrong.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, so with the Taranis off, and you plug the USB in, does the PC find the STM bootloader, or does nothing happen?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
aw73

Post by aw73 »

yes it finds the STM bootloader.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

i have used DfuSe and .dfu to flash and it shows upgrade successful. but still nothing. i also used zadig to install usb driver and used companion to install bin file but it still does not power on.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

do you have any other ideas or what is could possibly be?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Probably a hardware fault in the power circuit then.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Is it possible, that aw73, has Bricked his Taranis-X9D CPU ? :?:
aw73 wrote: it happen trying to reflash, so i unplugged the battery, ever since it will do nothing.
Could be possible, when trying to flash, the Power Switch Circuit failed at the same time. Would need to check out the Taranis-X9D Power Circuit.

I did a search for Taranis Powering Switch Circuit and found some Power Switch problems (mostly with the 9XR (Pro) Radios).
There maybe some info here that may be of some help: (viewtopic.php?f=96&t=5884&hilit=Taranis ... ch+Circuit)
(viewtopic.php?f=96&t=3858&hilit=9x+powe ... h+powering)
(viewtopic.php?f=122&t=9550&p=122520&hil ... ng#p122520)
(viewtopic.php?f=122&t=8742&p=115247&hil ... ng#p115247)
(viewtopic.php?f=95&t=8210&p=108942&hili ... ng#p108942)

Bob B.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

When flashing using the STM bootloader, the radio is powered from the USB. The 5V from the USB is regulated to 3.3V for the processor, so this main regulator should be OK as well.

If you haven't tried this, switch the Taranis on, then plug the USB cable in. What, if anything happens on the radio and the PC?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
aw73

Post by aw73 »

when i switch it on i get battery voltage at Q3 at drain. when the switch is off i get no power at Q3 on drain. so i dont think it could be the power switch. maybe something else on the switching circuit. i thought it was impossible to brick a taranis? this is exactly why i buy duel bios motherboards.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Please answer Mike's question above..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
aw73

Post by aw73 »

MikeB wrote:When flashing using the STM bootloader, the radio is powered from the USB. The 5V from the USB is regulated to 3.3V for the processor, so this main regulator should be OK as well.

If you haven't tried this, switch the Taranis on, then plug the USB cable in. What, if anything happens on the radio and the PC?

Mike.
yes with the switch on and i plug the usb in i still get the stm bootloader or stm32 bootloader or stm in dfu mode in device manager depending on which driver i have installed. the radio still does nothing when i do this.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

i guess the older i get the worse my luck gets.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

i have read somewhere that another taranis owner with the same problem with the usb plugged in and his pc went in to sleep mode the taranis would power on. he figured out what resistance it would show when in sleep mode and he put a resistor on the radios usb pins and it would power on. i did the same thing and put my pc to sleep while the usb was connected but my radio still did nothing.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Since the STM bootloader works, the Taranis isn't "bricked".
Please check:
R89 (10K), one side should be ground, the other goes to processor pin 37.
R90 (7K5), one side should be ground, the other goes to processor pin 94 and R91 (3K0).

These define the boot mode (STM bootloader or flash or RAM).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
aw73

Post by aw73 »

R90 only showing 2.2k
aw73

Post by aw73 »

now after checking these resistors i get a faint distorted voice with the battery plugged in and power on.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

should i replace R90? or do i need to isolate it and check it again?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With the power switch on, please measure the voltage across the outside 2 pins of one of the gimbal pots. You should get 3.0V.

The resitance measurement of R90 may well be incorrect while it is in circuit. Try the above voltage measurement next please.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
aw73

Post by aw73 »

thanks for the help. but im just going to order another mainboard or just a radio. i was fooling around trying to reseat R90 and R91 and lost R91. but before i lost R91 after first attempt at resoldering or reseating, i put the batt in and powered on and the lights came on but went off again. it does seem to be something to do with these resistors.

i dont know why they used this size resistors on such a huge board, i tinker with led flashlights and there drivers boards are very small like a thumbnail and the surface mount resistors are bigger case size. i dont have the patience, steady hand or eye sight as i use to.
aw73

Post by aw73 »

when i get this fixed or get another taranis i will not use the usb to flash again, will only use the microSD and built in bootloader. not sure if it was this laptop, its a different one than i use to use, or the cable i used but something with the usb caused this.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi aw73,
I was hoping you were able to stay with finding out what the problem is and fixing it.
You could get some Magnifier Magnify Glass and purchase the lost resistors needed (may have been bad anyway).
I understand the frustrations and not being able to function as well as we were once able to.
To help with better health see here: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUO948nRAZE&t=8s).

Blessings
Bob B.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”