Taranis Vario problem

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
cmez

Taranis Vario problem

Post by cmez »

Repost in the correct forum...sorry!

Has anybody experienced this one yet? using the Taranis and an X8R Rx with the FrSky high precision Variometer using the S-Port on the Rx. Works fine for a few minutes, then stops. Result is a continuous tone and the same altitude being repeated. Land the glider and power cycle, and the unit then works normally - sometimes for the entire remainder of the flight. Strange :?
cmez

United Kingdom

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Re: Taranis Vario problem

Post by Rob Thomson »

I have had this randomly happen before.

Turning the vario on and off will fix it.

Seems to happen when in high lift!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
cmez

Post by cmez »

Further to this problem, it seems to occur when high speed is involved, for example when in a dive and the air pressure builds up in the fuz. Power cycling the Tx seems to fix it (although can be a bit tense awaiting the reboot) so do it when high :lol:

So it would appear to be a bug in the Open TX software. I'm surprised no-one else has reported this problem.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Yes. That is the same as what happens for me.

Already working on a fix.

Oh.. A power cycle does work. - but so does turning the various on/off a few times.

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Weds

Post by Weds »

Mine locks up on probably every flight, as Rob said cycling the vario appears to work most times, just a bit annoying... Mine seems to lock up around 50mtrs, not sure speed has any bearing at it tends to lock up straight from launch as I'm climbing in slope lift.

There's mention of the firmware bug in the vario on the eflightwiki, and it gives a firmware update on frsky's website but its a dead link.

http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwiki/ ... _Telemetry

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

FrSky changed their website. Just browse to products, smart port sensors, vario and in the downloads you've got the update files and instructions.

And yes, what that firmware is supposed to solve is the random freeze.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

There is also a fix in the dev tree for an overflow that existed in the vario code on opentx.

Should be in the next release.

Weds

Post by Weds »

I've found the new Vario download but in the PDF file it mentions a SPC (FrSky Smart Port Converter) to connect between the FrSky FrUSB-3 (USB) and the smart port, but i cannot find a SPC anywhere on the Frsky website ? Does it exist ?
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

You can update without the SPC. You need a serial port on your pc or an usb-serial adapter, then you need a 5V power supply for your device (the vario). Solder an adapter with a servo kable, a 1N400X Diode and a RS232 female plug, as described in the "how to upgrade.pdf" on the last page. PIN 2 = RxD, PIN 3 = TxD and PIN 5 = GND on the RS232 plug. Solder the anode to PIN 3 and the cathode with the s-port cable to PIN 2, your minus cable to PIN 5. The plus-connection of the servocable is not needed. Connect now only the RS232 - s-port adaptercable (the servocable) on the s-port of your device.

Start the "frsky_update_Sport.exe", select your com-port, open the file "VARIO2_130730.frk"

Important: Wait till now to power up your device - your device will then be found and you can start updating with the download button. Update takes about 1 minute.

Edit: added pictures
Attachments
adaptercable.jpg
RS232.jpg
cmez

Post by cmez »

Many thanks for this info guys, I will give it a go and report back. Be interested on your approach Rob as well!
cmez

Post by cmez »

Well, flashing the latest firmware on the Vario has solved the problem :) Thanks to all of you guys for the heads up. Whilst on the FrSky site I also flashed the X9R with the latest firmware and that seems OK too. I had several long thermal soaring sessions this afternoon with steady reliable vario operation...magic! As an aside, the vario flashed fine with the RS232 cable as suggested, but this would not work with the Receiver. Using a FUC-3 with the diode in line, it worked fine.
mana

Post by mana »

I'm using an x8r and the high sensitivity various and I get inconsistent readings, sometimes it will read an altitude 60m lower, then it gives the right altitude. Seems to be worst when flying from a higher altitude (Pyrenees, 1300m). Anybody got the same problem? When I get back home I'll try the adapter to update the firmware.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Have you reflashed your Taranis with the latest opentx? There was a bug causing spurious jumps in telemetry values in the firmware it shipped with.

Sent via mobile
mana

Post by mana »

Merci kilrah, I have version 2667 - and BTW it's connected to a d8r, not x8r
Koffi

Post by Koffi »

I recently tried to update my SPort-Vario but unforunately failed (finding device...)

Is this Firmware recommended for both versions of the new varios (normal- and high-precision)?

Where should the cable be connected, with the device itself or will it find the correct device via SPort?

I used the FUC3 cable with DIY SPC adapter shown below. COM-Port is correct.

Every hint is appreciated ;)
IMG_5503.JPG
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You should first connect the USB side, start the program, choose the right COM port, load the file in the PC software ("Finding device" shows and the indicator blinks), THEN connect the cable to the vario's smart port. Of course the vario must have power, but it looks like your adapter is supplying power from USB.
The vario must NOT be connected to the reciever.
Koffi

Post by Koffi »

Hi Kilrah,

Thank you for the Support.

I'll try again tomorrow.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I have two varios, one low precision and one high precision. Both are pre-production units. The low precision one refuses to respond to all attempts to upgrade it over the SPort.
I have managed to update the high precision one.
I now find the display on the Taranis is no longer smoothly increasing or decreasing. As I lift the model the value goes down first, then jumps to a higher value.
Using metric units, I reset the Alt. to 0, then start lifting the model, the reading goes down to -0.6 then jumps to 1.2, then goes down to 0.4, then jumps up to 2.2 and starts going down again.
This is using a D8R-II receiver connected using the serial port to the vario.
openTx rev 2647.

Mike.

Edit:
I've also just tested the Low precision sensor. I bound a D8R-II to the Taranis, and working in feet, I get a value of 0, then 3.2, then 6.5, nothing in between.
I then bound the same D8R-II to a DJT module in a 9X running er9x. Now I get a reading of 0, then 0.3, then 0.6 and so on in steps of 0.3 feet (4 inches, 10cm).
I've now put the High precision sensor on this other D8R-II, and using er9x I get the same results as the low precision sensor, i.e. height increasing in steps of 0.3 feet.
Current initial altitude reads -321 feet on er9x.

I think this line is wrong:
setBaroAltitude((int32_t)100 * frskyData.hub.baroAltitude_bp + frskyData.hub.baroAltitude_ap);
if the bp part is negative, then the ap part also needs to be considered negative.
The low precision sensor ap part goes from 0 to 9 as 0.0 to 0.9, while the high precision sensor goes from 0 to 99 as 0.00 to 0.99. In er9x, I treat the ap part as 0 to 9 until I see a value larger than 9 when I switch to 0 to 99 mode.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah and Mike.
I was going to upgrade the precision vario FW but found that I do have a FUC-3 but not the Frsky S.port upgrade interface. I see that I can make one and I have the parts. Is this tested and works as posted? I just don't want to mess up the flash/FW.
Trading Mikes comment about readout issues after upgrading his precision vario concerns me. I don't see the original FW to go back to. Is there any way to save the current installed FW before I upgrade it. I don't want to do a flash until I at least ask.
Thanks
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I've wired up my s.bus adapter and I'm ready to try it. Any last word on weather I should update my vario won't matter now. I'm ready to "flash".
I didn't fully mate the connectors for the pic. There is one pin not connected but I wanted all 5 to plug in. It just looks nicer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377046289.052574.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377046315.245847.jpg
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

A little vario help please.
I updated the precision FW and the vario does work ok on a d8r II receiver with my Taranis. Reading all the x8r and vario how to sheets I still can't get the vario to display anything with connected to the x8r?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, solved it but I'll leave my first post for other to find.
I'm sure it's been posted and I've read it but it all becomes a blur at times. I rebound the x8r in the 16 ch 1-8 mode and it all started working. The s.bus works only in the 16ch mode. Now it's getting clearer what does what and what was discussed about it. Reading the documentation still requires some hands on trial and error, at least for me.
Now the next thing it so get the variable tone and or altitude announcements.
I made a small vacuum chamber for testing. It leaks but slowly.
SM :D
Koffi

Post by Koffi »

Thanks to Kilrah, the updating process now finally worked.

I had to remove the sensor fram all connections to the model (SpOrt, DatIN) and then follow strictly the updating sequence as described by Kilrah.

The SPC-Adapter seems to work nicely... :o
satinet

Post by satinet »

What parts are you actually supposed to have to upgrade the vario?
I have the fuc-3 but now it seems you need something else as well.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

satinet wrote:What parts are you actually supposed to have to upgrade the vario?
I have the fuc-3 but now it seems you need something else as well.
You'll need to construct this converter to plug into the FUC-3 and the vario s-port.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377702193.513011.jpg
I used a 5 pin mail connector I had, oy 4 ouns are used, a 1n4007 diode ( many use any silicon diode the have) and a FMale servo connector.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377702333.256988.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377702363.973090.jpg
I like to label and color code polarity.
The adaptor is better dawn on the bottom of the FW flash page but what I posted is the same.
It's been discussed here recently so a search should get you more to read about.
satinet

Post by satinet »

does anyone have a link to the update instructions as I can't find them on the frsky site?
thanks
T
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

What does the brown wire in the precision vario do?
D8R ll receiver.
I figured out that the yellow wire goes to the RX pin on the data port and red and black are for power but then there's the brown one? It shows it goes to a A1 or A2 DA port but then what? Opentx on the Taranis shows me altitude and gives tone changes with just the yellow connected.
I did post this on RCG and now here to get some discussion going. I plan to take some color pictures showing the connections and menu settings to make up a better info sheet than the Frsky provided one.
Brown wire?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The vario outputs the vario data in two ways, digitally as a vertical speed value and analog as a voltage varying up and down from 1.65 volts.
On the TELEMETRY screen there should be a choice for the vario source: vario, A1 and A2.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks Mike. I really was looking for a replacement for the how high sensor when using the Taranis and open tx that I don't have to build.
Now that I have the precision vario I see it can do many things so I'm exploring that. In the past I flew gliders from a slope so I never used a vario before. Now that I have one I need some tips on how to use it.
When would I want the to use the digital vs the analog? Anyone can answer this to give Mike a break.
I still plan to use the alt alarm for 400ft when I'm flying near a big airport.
For now the yellow wire in the RX input seems to work with ALT selected so I'm good there.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”