Taranis and DSM2 mods

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
ShowMaster

Re: Taranis and DSM2 mods

Post by ShowMaster »

SkyNorth wrote:The first diagram pinout in upside down.!
The ANT connection is at the bottom , and the PPM at the top
Just like the picture shows.
I deleted the one in question. Thanks

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Try again.
To make sure, we're talking about pin 2 and pin 5 counting from the ppm being pin1 and at the top?
We refer to it that way but JR and Frsky may label it differently on their prints and modules?
I deleted a picture. This one should correct.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374376308.423743.jpg
dang

Post by dang »

rdeanchurch wrote:
dang wrote:Has anyone actually used an orange module in the Taranis? I have seen dozens of comments stating it should work and believe myself that it should. I have an orange module here that does not work. I don't know if the module is any good as I have nothing else with a JR style socket. The module blinks once kind of feebly when powered up by Taranis but won't bind to a known working receiver or anything else.
Mine plugged in without any problem with pin alignment.
I have bound it to a 6100 rx and it was just like binding on a DX-7.
Works fine on bench test with servos plugged in and channels re-arranged to JR/Spektrum.
I haven't flown it yet, my Bind and fly UMX sbach arrives Tuesday.
Hopeful I'll be able to bind to it as painlessly as it has gone so far.
Thanks Guys,

I'll borrow a JR radio and test the module. Last night I tried my futaba spektrum module on a conversion board though and it didn't light up or anything either. Hmmmm...
dang

Post by dang »

Wow! My Orange module bound with a 120SR helicopter. Just the first feeble blink. I held the bind button until it kicked. Get this! It took 2 minutes and 22 seconds!!! Like I said "wow".
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

dang wrote:Has anyone actually used an orange module in the Taranis? I have seen dozens of comments stating it should work and believe myself that it should. I have an orange module here that does not work. I don't know if the module is any good as I have nothing else with a JR style socket. The module blinks once kind of feebly when powered up by Taranis but won't bind to a known working receiver or anything else.
I have flown extensively with the Orange module in my Taranis and it worked just as it should. Note that in basic DSM2 mode (1024, 22ms) there is no light on the module. It does, however, emit one beep when it becomes active (after any warnings and flash screen have cleared). If bound to a basic DSMX receiver, the module gives out a repeating double flash. The module does not switch automatically to the appropriate receiver mode except when binding. So if you change receiver types, you have to either reset it manually (three quick presses on the button steps to the next of the four modes) or rebind. A bit of a pain. I consider it OK for use with my basic DSM2 receivers. I may switch to using a DM9 module to avoid this nonsense.

outFront

Post by outFront »

It took me a while to get my orange module to bind with my Blade SR. Turns out somehow my PPM delay in the Taranis was set to 0, which apparently is bad. Setting it back to 300us worked and I was able to crash my SR, just like usual.

cheers,

bob
Clivew

Post by Clivew »

ShowMaster wrote:What about using a HK orange DSM/2/x tx module. It does it all and uses a ppm input? Now they have x receivers also.
I'm a summing the Taranis can support ppm out in the module bay? That had been my plan.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Just misses the 2 big advantages of spektrum IMHO,
i.e. model match and low latency!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

It's almost ready. A couple of bugs to fix as soon as I find time!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

The biggest feature of dsm2 being a protocol over 7 years old in 2013 where it doesn't hop is unexpected link loss.
Imho

Post by Imho »

bertrand35 wrote:It's almost ready. A couple of bugs to fix as soon as I find time!
I'm a bit confused, can I ask what the changes are to the firmware for DSM2 support?

The way I understood it DSM2/DSMX support for the Taranis involves an external module and PPM (with the usual latency), which I believe can already be done. Is there another (better) way?
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

Non Taranis versions of the firmware support "native" Spektrum serial protocol so you can use a module extracted from a Spektrum TX (Dx4, 5 etc). All Spektrum features (like model match) are supported with the "hacked" module.
Imho

Post by Imho »

Thanks for the response. A further couple of questions:

Will a module from a DX4e support DSM2 and DSMX?
What latency is likely when using an external module like the OrangeRX?
heliphil

Post by heliphil »

So can I use a module made from a DX5e ??? will it work with ppm input or do we have to wait for the native Spektrum serial protocol ( will we ever get that ?)
dang

Post by dang »

heliphil wrote:So can I use a module made from a DX5e ??? will it work with ppm input or do we have to wait for the native Spektrum serial protocol ( will we ever get that ?)
You need to wait. Its coming. If you think about it there would be no way to bind w/o native function.
heliphil

Post by heliphil »

OK thanks - I already have a DX5e module from my Turnigy 9X - I hoped that it might work with ppm and the RX's would already be bound to the module from when it was used with the 9X.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

They will be bound yes. But it won't work with PPM.
heliphil

Post by heliphil »

yes- after playing with the Taranis and the DX5e module I have found that out !
mrkunkel

Post by mrkunkel »

Hey all,

I've got a Taranis and a spare dx5e radio module and want to build the dsm2/dsmx module to be taranis-specific.
I understand the firmware doesn't currently support it, but I'll happily modify it, I've already [re]implemented the protocol on an Arduino and understand it. Where would I get the most current stable source code for the taranis? I thought that the 'official' repository was https://code.google.com/p/opentaranis/ but there's not any source there.

Which pin on the Taranis module should I connect the dx4e radio module's pin 6 (Serial Input).
I know Pin 1 is supposed to be PPM output, was the firmware written in a modular way to allow me to output the serial dsm protocol instead? It looks like the 9x people can 'choose' dsm2/dsmx in their firmware, but I didn't read into how it's connected.
I did read that Pin 2 is sort of reserved for some future Input feature?
Should Pin 5 be used for this instead?

If someone is already working this and wants help, just let me know how to configure the pinout for the module and give me a link to the source and I'll join in.

Thanks,
Matt
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

https://code.google.com/p/opentx/source/browse/

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
mrkunkel

Post by mrkunkel »

Thanks Rob, I've got the code.

Where can I find the default build options for the Taranis as well as the generic build instructions, or are there any?
Could this info be added to the CompilationOptions Wiki page?
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

bertrand35 wrote:I just added DSM2 support. As I don't have a DSM2 external module, I can't test myself!
If you are looking for help testing Taranis DSM2 support for the dx5e hack module, I'd be happy to help. I could run through a test script or whatever you need.
dvogonen

Re: Sv: Taranis and DSM2 mods

Post by dvogonen »

mrkunkel wrote:Thanks Rob, I've got the code.

Where can I find the default build options for the Taranis as well as the generic build instructions, or are there any?
If there is any build instructions, I have not found them.
There are however build instructions on the front page of the er9x project site. They are almost correct (some of the library names are misspelled) and will allow you to build the default (9x) version. You will then need to download and install the Taranis processor specific libraries from the cpu manufacturer.
The actual build is made using the following command:
make PCB=TARANIS
The main developers build on Linux. I think they use Debian. I prefer Linux Ubuntu but failed to get the build working on that platform. I am now using Linux Mint which works really well for me.
mrkunkel

Post by mrkunkel »

I ended up getting the build instructions on the Google code issues page, but I created a post to help out anyone that might have the same questions I had about compiling on Mac OS X..

http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=4180
Romolo
9x Developer

Post by Romolo »

dvogonen wrote:
mrkunkel wrote:Thanks Rob, I've got the code.

If there is any build instructions, I have not found them.
There are however build instructions on the front page of the er9x project site. They are almost correct (some of the library names are misspelled) and will allow you to build the default (9x) version. You will then need to download and install the Taranis processor specific libraries from the cpu manufacturer.
The actual build is made using the following command:
make PCB=TARANIS
The main developers build on Linux. I think they use Debian. I prefer Linux Ubuntu but failed to get the build working on that platform. I am now using Linux Mint which works really well for me.
The build servers is on fedora, but we build also on ubuntu.
But in any case I build the ARM toolchain by myself
dvogonen

Post by dvogonen »

Romolo wrote: The build servers is on fedora, but we build also on ubuntu.
But in any case I build the ARM toolchain by myself
For future reference :

The problem I encountered on Ubuntu had to do with which version of the c-compiler that got installed by default. Fedora and Ubuntu did not use the same version, which caused the build to fail. I could naturally manually have installed the same version in Ubuntu as is used in Fedora by default, but I did not at the time.
Mint is a relatively close Ubuntu derivate, so I thought that I would encounter the same problems when I some time later tried to built on Mint. But everything worked right out of the box. I do not know if this depends on the code being changed or if the compiler versions are more in synch. My guess is that Ubuntu also works now.

Building the ARM tookchain is a project in itself. I was glad to find a link in a post from Rob somewhere, where he pointed me to pre-built installs. I guess I am lazy :-)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I have also built on windows.

Main think is to have the correct tool sets installed!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
yay

Post by yay »

I was supprised a bit when got my Taranis and it turned out that I can't simply move DMS2 mod based TX into it. I have to keep old good T9x to get them flying and can only encourage you guys to merge the DSM2 into the Taranis code:)
Thumbs up :)
heliphil

Post by heliphil »

Considering this has already been done for the 9X what's the holdup with doing this for the Taranis??? is it that different internally???
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just the software driver needs to be adapted for the different processor. Still open for someone else to join and spend the time we didn't find yet to debug it...
JohnAustin

Post by JohnAustin »

Hi
I am very interested in DSM2/DSMX for Taranis using Spektrum protocol (model match, lower latiency,..)
as I have 10+ planes with Spektrum Rx's ! (I realize I could use a DM9 or an Orange module with PPM)
I also have a Taranis Tx! and have created/hacked a DX5e JR module ready to test
Although I am probably unable to contribute very much to the code I would be able to carry out testing

I have attempted to compile and run both the FrSky and OpenTx source code using a variety of compile chains
Compilation was successful using two of the compile chains but when loaded into the Taranis
I obtain the welcome message (audio working) but then the Tx freezes. The only way out is to unplug the battery!
The only hint as to the problem is that when I re-install the original FrSky binary blob it
insists on re-formatting the EEPROM as it is corrupt

I'm on a Fedora 18 machine
The compile chains I have tried are
1. Fedora 18 chain is not complete as there is a licence doubt
   about newlib
2. Launchpad - gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q2-20130614-linux.tar.bz2
3. Mentor - arm-2013.05-23-arm-none-eabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
https://sourcery.mentor.com/sgpp/lite/a ... plate=lite
4. http://retroramblings.net/?p=315
   This does not give you C++
5. Followed this one very accurately but still a lockup with resultant code
   http://www.kunen.org/uC/gnu_tool.html
   used the following software versions
   newlib-2.0.0.tar.gz
   gcc-4.8.1.tar.bz2
   binutils-2.23.1.tar.gz

The compile command I have used is of the form (I have tried many combination of options)
make \
PCB=TARANIS \
PCBREV=REV4a \
EXT= FRSKY\
FAI=CHOICE \
HELI=NO \
TEMPLATES=YES \
NAVIGATION=NO \
AUTOSWITCH=YES \
AUTOSOURCE=YES \
DBLKEYS=YES \
AUDIO=YES \