Taranis and DSM2 mods

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
EjectSteve

Re: Taranis and DSM2 mods

Post by EjectSteve »

I have problems with some receiver numbers with certain RX's. I'm not sure if there is anything official, but I think folks keep their RX numbers under 20.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

EjectSteve wrote:I have problems with some receiver numbers with certain RX's. I'm not sure if there is anything official, but I think folks keep their RX numbers under 20.
Thanks for the reply. It's all a bit vague. I will keep the numbers under 20 as you suggest.
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I did a little experimenting, If you can dispense with model match you can set a single model number. Taranis warns that receiver number is already in use, but just ignore this.

Alternatively I might move all my Taranis receiver models to model number starting at 21 and keep the first twenty clear if indeed 20 is the maximum.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

All this talk of RX number range for the module, but at least in OpenTX companion you can't go higher than 20 anyway. I'm running version 2.0.13.
Hexperience

Post by Hexperience »

Got it working! Man I must be tired.... I was putting the tarains in bind mode first... then turning on the rx....
Sky9X: One radio to rule them all, and in the darkness BIND them.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I was given this module, no history? Can it be wired as a hack module? Same pin outs I wonder?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441910951.505535.jpg
heliphil

Post by heliphil »

yes I believe that is compatible
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks for the reply
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I had no luck with a module salvaged from a DM9 JR module, but I believe that the DX6i module does work in the 3 pin configuration like the Dx5e one does.
I've not yet seen it used in this configuration though, since the Dx6i is quite expensive if you just want it's module.
Daedalus66

Taranis and DSM2 mods

Post by Daedalus66 »

I haven't tried it but the various write-ups all say the DX6i uses the same module as the DX4e and DX5e.

The DM8 and DM9 modules both use PPM input and thus would not understand the serial protocol used for Spektrum transmitters. Hence they would not work with the hack protocol of ER9x/OpenTX. But they don't need to as they can use PPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

The DM9 module i got was used as an internal module for some Graupner Radio by it's previous owner I believe, and the onboard voltage regulator might have failed, I don't remeber. There is however a micro controller inside the DM9 modules which interfaces the actual tx module to the PPM pin. I don't know which protocol it speaks to the tx module though, propably a more capable version of what the 6 or lower channel versions got.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's SPI direct to the RF chip.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

Is this documented anywhere you know of, of the top of your head? I guess the protocol would be identical or at least similar to the one the Deviation guys use for DSM2 and DSMX, since they are talking directly to the CYRF chip of the Devo transmitters via SPI, too.
This would make the X1TXN module out of the DM9 as capable as the Walkera Devo8s upgrade module. I'm following the Universal Module development thread over at the deviation forums with great interest. Might be worth trying out some of their code with the X1TXN and an STM Nucleo board as a micro. I was looking for an excuse to order a pair of the Nucleo boards for weeks :D

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”