Taranis and DSM2 mods

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
BustedWing

Re: Taranis and DSM2 mods

Post by BustedWing »

I just built one as well, and mine doesn't work either. I posted about it here....viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4868&p=86361#p86361 any ideas anyone?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Does the range check function in the Taranis work with the Spektrum Module?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes it's supposed to.

Sent via mobile
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

bertrand35 wrote:I just added DSM2 support. As I don't have a DSM2 external module, I can't test myself!
I am finally getting a Taranis, as a birthday present! Haven't been able to afford one previously.

I still have about 50% DSM models. Did you ever get this finished and tested? I see it's in Companion. (I don't have my new radio yet to see for myself and I'm impatient to know. :-) )

Otherwise, I can do all the testing if needed, including scope and logic analyser etc.

Thanks.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Is this the Gruvin that helped er9x get so popular? If so, thank you for your work on it and returning my email questions that got me going when I was struggling.
SM

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Welcome back gruvin!
Yes DSM will work out of the box, no issue
Bertrand
einarak

Post by einarak »

I cant get my module to work, I´ve double checked all the hardware and connections, and its exactly as the instructions say. I´ve desoldered the module and put it back in the mlp4dsm transmitter for testing and it works fine there. This module was removed from a "brand new" mlp4dsm transmitter...
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

What version/build of openTX are you using?
einarak

Post by einarak »

2014-09-16

Have tried a lot of versions from 2.0.3 and up
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I can't see of a way to troubleshoot your circuit via this forum and your building skills may be far above mine anyway. For me, I had to double check the diode directions. At some point between 2.0.10 and 2.0.11, DSM was broken. But it was fixed with the newly compiled versions of 2.0.11 and probably would be working in 2.0.12. I am still on 2.0.8. I think it may not have been working on the FrSky version 2.0.9 for the plus either.

What RX numbers are you using? I still find I have trouble with some RX's using some RX numbers. 1-20 are probably the safest, but I have some numbers that won't bind with some RX's no matter what, so I have to hunt around and try different RX numbers. I'll assume you have tried both the DSM2 settings and the DSMX settings? My module was from a DX4, I am less familiar with the lp4dsm.
einarak

Post by einarak »

Thank you for your help, About that diode, the stripe is towards the connector that goes to the taranis. Why is it supposed to be that way, what is it protecting? I would have thought it was supposed to be turning the other way around to protect the transmitter from getting voltage from the resistor in to the ppm port, but like before I have no idea lol... I actually newer tried 2.0.8, Can I download it somewhere to try it?
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Someone who really knows what they were doing figured out the circuit (not me) so I wouldn't be able to explain 'why' the circuit is the way it is. This one is mine if it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=541&start=150#p48608

Are you using a 3.3v bec, or did you harvest components from the original radio? Did you make sure you are reading 3.3v on the module's correct pin?

If you want to learn about updating your Taranis, try this site:
http://open-txu.org/home/undergraduate- ... ng-opentx/
einarak

Post by einarak »

I´m running same setup as you are. Im using the 3.3 regulator from the lp4dsm transmitter to power the module.
Thanks for the link, Ive updated my taranis many times, I just cant find where I can download older firmwares, since I wanted to try 2.0.8 knowing that it works for you.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

Firmware has been a little 'unstable' above 2.08 so I have been holding off. Note that Companion for 2.08 doesn't give you the ability to edit/change RX numbers when dsm/x is chosen.
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

bertrand35 wrote:Welcome back gruvin!
Yes DSM will work out of the box, no issue
Bertrand
Thanks. :-)

It's coming via Fed-Ex. Should arrive this week. Yay \o/
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

ShowMaster wrote:Is this the Gruvin that helped er9x get so popular?
Yeah, it's that Gruvin ... though I don't think I did much of that, as such. Maybe outside of the US? All just fond memories now, as things get better and better in others' hands.
If so, thank you for your work on it and returning my email questions that got me going when I was struggling.
You're welcome.
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

EjectSteve wrote:Firmware has been a little 'unstable' above 2.08 so I have been holding off. Note that Companion for 2.08 doesn't give you the ability to edit/change RX numbers when dsm/x is chosen.
We had compiler issues on 2.0.10 and 2.0.11, we tried the latest gcc for arm. Since we reverted to our good old 4.7 the problems have gone.
Now about the Rx number in DSM mode, it seems correctly displayed and modifiable in Companion, would you double check please?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes it's OK now, it didn't appear in 2.0.8 but I fixed it here so it's all good in current version.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I have upgrade to 2.0.12 and Companion is showing the RX numbers and I had no trouble flying my hack module in DSMX mode today.

DSM hack module support is a great feature, even if we have other DSM module options these days. Thanks for bringing it 2.0
gruvin
9x Developer

Post by gruvin »

bertrand35 wrote:Now about the Rx number in DSM mode, it seems correctly displayed and modifiable in Companion, would you double check please?
Incidentally, I note that Companion (and presumably the firmware too) does not allow RX number 0 (zero) to be selected. It's no biggie. I have just one model that I'll have to re-bind.
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

Any chance that Hubsan or FlySky protocols will be added like the DSM hack?

Possibly with telemetry.
EjectSteve

Post by EjectSteve »

I thought HobbyKing used to sell flysky modules but didn't find them on the website. Maybe they only came bundled with the 9x? They are out there though:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU4 ... TMV8474K89
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

If they ever did, it was only briefly. When they first started selling the 9x with the module included in 2010, it was with the antenna mounted on top of the transmitter and wired in more or less permanently. It's been that way ever since.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

WZ9V wrote:Any chance that Hubsan or FlySky protocols will be added like the DSM hack?
https://code.google.com/p/rc-ppm-2-spi/
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

It was a bug that is supposed to be fixed in Comanion 2.0.12, I can't confirm as of yet because I'm on a Mac and need to compile 2.0.12 and just have not had the time.

gruvin wrote:
bertrand35 wrote:Now about the Rx number in DSM mode, it seems correctly displayed and modifiable in Companion, would you double check please?
Incidentally, I note that Companion (and presumably the firmware too) does not allow RX number 0 (zero) to be selected. It's no biggie. I have just one model that I'll have to re-bind.
WZ9V

Post by WZ9V »

Thanks, I was thinking bigger picture but that would work. I'd probably go with the designs on RCGroups using a ProMini since I'm not really setup for SMT assembly. I do like that one though because its more "elegant" like the OSHPark board for the DSM hack that jpikkel made and wrote up in his blog.
Kilrah wrote:
WZ9V wrote:Any chance that Hubsan or FlySky protocols will be added like the DSM hack?
https://code.google.com/p/rc-ppm-2-spi/
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can use an arduino and a few resistors (that's what I have), the PCB just puts it all cleanly together. What matters is the schematic and the software.
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

One thing that I would have liked to see on the Pickkel board would have been the addition of an LED to indicate that the module was powered. Has any anyone added an LED to the board?
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

I'd like to have that, too. But to be honest, I don't need it. It is nice to have in case something doesn't work, but under normal use I rarely look at the back of my Taranis. :D
I did not fix the humming and buzzing issue on my Taranis though, so this gives me an audible indication if the module is powered and running :D
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I built the DSM2/DSMX hack using DX5E module and the board and design that J.Prikkel produced and it works fine but I am still a little unsure about setting receiver numbers in the Taranis. How many models could be created in the Taranis, Is there an upper limit to receiver numbers that the module can handle?

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”