Inside the Taranis -

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Scott Page

Re: Inside the Taranis -

Post by Scott Page »

ShowMaster wrote:Good video and good info.
I do have a stick end question. Sort of late in the design but this is the first closeup pictures I've seen.
Can the stick ends be exchanged for a less knobby end. I'm sure this it great for thumb fliers but the pinch fliers need more conventional thinner end.
Also what's the case screws situation? Are they able to withstand removal and insertion without stripping out plastic like the 9x?

Has the haptic option been added or setup for modification later? Will the FW support haptic? Very useful in a multi engine flying field with gas and electric flying at the same time or just many has/nitro planes flying. My tests with a talking er9x and sky9x system found that the haptic it great support for the voice announce in certain situations.
Again. I'm sorry for so many questions so late in the game but without regular reports from the beta testers and no inputs requested, one has to assume this is being evaluated also.
SM
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Those are swapped out stick ends, not stock - I should have clarified that. They are the same thread size as Futaba. Actually I'm a pinch flyer, but I like the big boyz because I've got ham hands.

Case Screws seem are better than 9x for sure. If I thought I'd be opening the case as much as I have the 9x cases I'd drill, harden, and tap them for a 3mm cap screw.

Can't help you with facts on Haptic -- but I'd imagine that haptic will be the first hack supported if it's not already.

EDIT: WOW this thread sure went a long ways in a day.
Last edited by Scott Page on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks everyone for sharing what you can. I think we've been talking about and waiting for the Taranis for almost a year. It's almost here at last.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

mpjf01 wrote:I am not sure whether this was answered or not when I asked above. Does the Taranis output telemetry data in the same way as is currently available from FRSKY telemetry RF modules? I'm trying to understand whether this facility is being continued in the new radio in its released form, or not, because if it is not available I will not be able to use my current systems.

The existing D series receivers and telemetry they provide will all work, and send telemetry as per normal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

mpjf01 wrote:I am not sure whether this was answered or not when I asked above. Does the Taranis output telemetry data in the same way as is currently available from FRSKY telemetry RF modules? I'm trying to understand whether this facility is being continued in the new radio in its released form, or not, because if it is not available I will not be able to use my current systems.

The existing D series receivers and telemetry they provide will all work, and send telemetry as per normal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

mpjf01 wrote:I am not sure whether this was answered or not when I asked above. Does the Taranis output telemetry data in the same way as is currently available from FRSKY telemetry RF modules?
It won't on day one, but putting out the telemetry data on the serial port will be one of the first post release additions to the firmware.
Note that whatever you connect to it will have to learn the new telemetry protocol.

Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Ah.. you mean with an external serial port!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

so, that means that the radio is not really compatible with "D" series from day one then :o
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

No. It is 100% compatable.

What Kilrah is saying is that it does not have a serial port active - for plugging in something like an fld field system.

But there is no point in doing this as it does not need one - the radio does this job!

Kilrah's plan is to enable a pass thru mode so that if per chance you have a system that wants the data 'passed thru' - then you can used the serial port in the battery bay.

Rob
mpjf01

Post by mpjf01 »

Rob Thomson wrote:No. It is 100% compatable.

What Kilrah is saying is that it does not have a serial port active - for plugging in something like an fld field system.

But there is no point in doing this as it does not need one - the radio does this job!

Kilrah's plan is to enable a pass thru mode so that if per chance you have a system that wants the data 'passed thru' - then you can used the serial port in the battery bay.

Rob
If the serial data is not available initially from the internal rf module then the radio cannot "do this job" so those of us who want to use the data that would be from this source will obviously have to wait until the mod is made. Not the end of the world for me at least but it's nice to know.

As it seems that the way the data will be presented is to change is there any documentation describing the variations available?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The radio does the job for 99.9% of users ;-)

Not yet for the doc, should come along with the radio.

Sent via mobile

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”