FrSky S6R low RSSI

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
FinnMaccool

FrSky S6R low RSSI

Post by FinnMaccool »

I wonder if someone could help me, I am new to RC planes and may have bitten off more than I can chew!

I have updated firmware for Taranis X9D plus to vs 2.2 and purchased 3 S6R receivers two of which had lost their antennae and I had successfully replaced the broken antennae. The third S6R was new out of the box and had never been in a plane. All three receivers had been updated and configured using STK tool. Only AUTO, STAB modes had been configured.
Taranis RSSI values in all three receivers were about 90dB near the receiver and dropped to critical values a short 20 m. distance away.
Discover new sensors screen shows RSSI and battery with flashing asterisks.

Result plane lost! Taranis X9D plus works OK with Orange DSMX/DSM2 external module in another plane.

Any advice would be welcome re the unexpected low RSSI readings.
Thankyou in advance for your thoughts.

ShowMaster

Re: FrSky S6R low RSSI

Post by ShowMaster »

Do you have any other Frsky non S type receivers? I suspect not or you would have mentioned it.
The fact that the external module works using its own RF and antenna only verifies that the x9d plus encoder and opentx is working.
What does the swr screen show as a value. If you hold the antenna does it go up towards 18? If so, I would think the internal xjt rf is normal?

Without testing the Frsky RF and antenna (internal) with a different Frsky receiver, non S version, you won’t in my opinion, be able to tell if it’s the S receivers or internal XJT rf system or antenna.

all your tests are with S receivers I think bought at the same time and you’ve done antenna replacements to repair them. That is suspicious? You didn’t say why they were delivered broken and what you did to repair or replace them as well as if they are official Frsky replacements if changed?

Also what a range test distance is vs full power is?
More info please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FinnMaccool

Post by FinnMaccool »

Today I gave the receivers to a friend also using Taranis x9d plus but with earlier FW version, and asked if he would repeat the range check. About to check range at full power. Have been using orange receiver in another plane worked oK. Two of the three S6R receivers were damaged by me in a crash the third S6R was new out of the box.
Waiting to get results of comparison.
Thankyou for your reply
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, but remember, using a external Orange tx module with orange Dsm2/x receivers is a totally different transmitter section and protocol. The Taranis at this point becomes just a pulse encoder and dc power source and it’s internal ACCST protocol internal xjt module has no relationship to what’s going on with your ACCST Frsky S6R receivers range when flying a orange receiver.
Your issue is strictly between your Frsky receivers and your internal xjt module.
Asking a friend to try your receivers is a good test as it breaks up your tx vs receivers. Another test world be to try one of his Frsky D or X receivers for range to verify your tx internal xjt and antenna is ok.
The age of his Taranis shouldn’t make a difference as it’s not opentx that determines range, but the instead, the firmware loaded into the xjt internal module.
Please post his test results and if you try your tx with a borrowed known good receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FinnMaccool

Post by FinnMaccool »

Thank you for your sage analysis, I have a friend who successfully flies with S8R will try that and repost

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”