Module problem

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
SteveH

Module problem

Post by SteveH »

I seem to have a problem trying to operate any module in 2 Taranis transmitters.
If I plug a multi protocol module or a DM9 Spectrum module into either of the 2 Taranis transmitters I have on powering up,the transmitters get stuck in a loop announcing welcome to open TX.
If I plug either of the modules into my Horus 12S then everything works normally.
Could it be a pin length problem on the Taranis module bay?
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

ShowMaster

Re: Module problem

Post by ShowMaster »

I haven’t seen that happen. I have seen the male module pins push up the female module connector if not soldered flush, this can make for strange or no operation. Pin length of too short may cause issues? What happens if you power up with the modules removed.
What version firmware?
Have you in the past plugged any other modules in the module bay?
It’s possible the get that supplies power to the module bay pin is in trouble? If the internal voltage supplied the the module pin is pulled too low or shorted. It could pull down the whole internal dc supply enough to cause issues?
This could be measured with a module plugged in with its back cover off.
More history of module usage prior to this condition please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks for your reply Showmaster. More information below.
My old Taranis X9D (one of the first batch into the UK) is on Opentx firmware r-2940.
My newer Taranis X9D is on Opentx firmware 2.2.0.
Neither of these transmitters has ever had a module fitted until I tried this multi module recently.
Both transmitters will exhibit the stuck in a loop behaviour for a while when the multi module is fitted and the TX is sending ppm info to it. Eventually both tx's will usually fire up.
Without the multi protocol module fitted both tx's perform normally and the old Taranis has been my go to TX and worked without fault. The newer one being my spare.

When the multi module is fitted into my Horus 12s on Opentx 2.2.0 there seems to be no problem.

I have checked the pins going into the module and all of them exit the back of the connector by 2-3 mm.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks again.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Just brainstorming and hopefully waiting for others to join in on solving this mystery condition.

You haven’t mentioned what multiprotocol module your using but have mentioned using ppm mode.
Focusing on your newest x9d (plus or not?) running otx 2.2.0 supports multi mode serial if you download and install that option. This would be for a IRangeX 4in1 or a orange module flashed with Mike Blandford’s multi serial fw.
If your only using ppm for the Spektrum module or orange module, and setting the external module bay to ppm, this is strange for sure.
Later today I can try it with a non plus B version x9d I’ve installed otx2.2.0 on. I use it for testing as it was brought back from the dead as a throw away and given to me. I haven’t migrated my x9x plus to 2.2.x yet because of so many loaded models.
I just use the Qx7 fir new planes lately.
I have a stock orange (ppm only) and a flashed orange (serial mode) module I can try as well as a IRangeX plus that supports ppm or serial.
I use them in a Qx7 with otx 2.2.0 or now I think 2.2.1, got to check.

This is strange and the first I’ve seen posted about the real deal Spektrum Dsm2 module causing this condition.
Being it’s happening the same way in 2 different x9d’s I keep thinking it’s not a module issue but tx firmware setting?
Especially if it’s really ppm mode.
That and the modules work in the 12s?

What’s the x9d tx battery voltage you’re using?
Stock 6 cell nimh reading charged or other?
No tx mods to both?
Excessive loading of the ppm data line or vcc pin could be trouble but your 12s should experience the same issue.
Is the 12s running otx or fros Firmware?

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

This sounds like your module is defective and draws too much power.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I agree and that’s my first assumption except he’s having the issue with two totally different types of modules, in two different 9xd’s, but not the 12s?
That’s why I’m questioning what he’s using for x9d tx batteries?
Maybe they’re crashing under the external module loading?

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Problem fixed!
Both X9D's are running on 3s Lipo's.
Changing to the stock 7.2 Nimh battery fixes the problem.
I guess that's why the Horus running the stock battery at 9.6V is OK.
Strange as the Bangood module quotes the operating voltage of 5-14V.
Thanks for your help.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Excellent! I knew something was changed from what one would consider Stock. That’s why the battery question popped into my head. Strange on why this caused the Taranis to act that way however? I need to check, but I thought main battery voltage was passed thru to the module vcc pin via the mcu and menu controlled fet switch?
If so, loading that path shouldn’t effect the Taranis main board power?
Some other thing going on there I’m thinking.
Good discussion item.

Glad it was that easy to troubleshoot. Unless you need the 12 volts, the low self discharge nimh 6 cell 2400ma pack pack does last a long time and is easy to swap out if you’re flying long hours.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”