Taranis X9D plus with a spektrum module

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
pghbabya

Taranis X9D plus with a spektrum module

Post by pghbabya »

I've managed to successfully bind and fly my Horizon Hobby Yak Taranis X9D controller using a DM9 module. I'd like to try and build an autopilot of sorts, which was the reason I chose this controller.

I've read several guides on how to use a PC audio output and override the trainer input using a PPM signal. However, I'm having some signal integrity issues which result in the override command just working for a few seconds. I noticed that there is a serial port next to the SD card slot. I can wire up a Raspberry Pi and am assuming I can use the Open-Tx code to receive telemetry data.

But can I control the aircraft's servos by sending commands over this serial port? Is there a document that details the protocol. Couldn't find much on their github page.

It seems as though a few folks have asked this same question before, but I have no idea if anyone has succeeded.

TIA!

Kilrah

Re: Taranis X9D plus with a spektrum module

Post by Kilrah »

No, there is currently no such facility.

You can however easily make a "clean" PPM signal using an arduino connected to the PC.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis X9D plus with a spektrum module

Post by MikeB »

ersky9x firmware, running on a Taranis, supports using the serial port in the battery bay as SBUS input, at either 100K baud or 57600 baud. The received channel values are then available as the trainer channels values.
eepe, the PC program also has a feature where, when running the simulator, you may output the 16 channel values produced as SBUS at 57600.
Note that the serial port in the battery bay is buffered, and inverted, to RS232 compatibility.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”