***HELP US PLEASE*** Q x7 5 flight modes for Cheerson cx-20

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
HyperHelis

***HELP US PLEASE*** Q x7 5 flight modes for Cheerson cx-20

Post by HyperHelis »

Hello :) I am very new to the Taranis Q x7. I just purchased one for myself and another for my 9 year old daughter. We are wanting to use them for buddy boxing on our Cheerson cx-20 quadcopter. Flight Tools for the cx-20 flight controller is a very basic program but not understanding how to mix the flight control switches is making it very difficult. We just want to fly. I have the q x7 manual from Aloft hobbies but it isn't helping. Can someone please steer us in the right direction? We have the big fly shark version. It does not have the APM flight controller. This machine only uses 5 flight modes. Im guessing that the left side 2 position switch selects the high and low side of the range???

2 Position SW 3 Position SW
Left Switch Right Switch
Manual mode 0 0
GPS Mode 1 0
Head hold 1 1
Altitude hold 2 1
Return to home 2 0

rdeanchurch

Re: ***HELP US PLEASE*** Q x7 5 flight modes for Cheerson cx-20

Post by rdeanchurch »

You need a set of logical switches to select 1 of 5 flight modes. Assuming you really mean Flight Modes in the QX7 OpenTx 2.2 terminology. And flight controllers to transmitters.
The terminology is different from manufacture/operating system(firmware) to manufacture/operating system(firmware).
0,1, 2 are not FrSky QX7 and OpenTx terms.
Getting to know the new language of a manufacture/operating system(firmware) is the first hurdle to overcome when switching brands,
Some people change a pot to a 6 position switch so they can do it with just a knob.
But this is not especially easy.

Pick two switches you want to use and it is fairly easy to setup. tell us the names of the switches. Switch F is two position. Switch H is two position, but momentary.
So switch F and ???, which 3 position switch.
For instance switch F (SF) and switch D
Logical Switch
L01 AND SF↑ SA↑ could select Flight Mode 0--Manual
L02 AND SF↓ SA↑ could select Flight Mode 1--GPS
L03 AND SF↓ SA- could select Flight Mode 2--Head
L04 AND SF↓ SA↓ could select Flight Mode 3--Altitude
L05 AND SF↑ SA↓ could select Flight Mode 4--Return

but I know nothing about what channels need to change to make that into a mix as I do not do multicopters or flight controllers. I think you are using flight modes in relation to a flight controller, but if you mean a set of channel outputs, those are probably Cheerson cx-20 quadcopter specific.
If the latter is the case, can you describe what channel needs to be changed how? If so you can use the real Flight Modes or the logical switches in a mix to get what you want.

What switches do you want to use by QX7 names and what channels outputs are required?
With those questions answered I could help you.
Else you will have to wait for someone with Cheerson cx-20 quadcopter knowledge.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

The QX7 can not work with the CX-20 to my knowledge without adding something like
https://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IRX4-2 ... rehouse=CN

The way the radio frequency (RF) signal sent from the transmitter is sent differently from one transmitter manufacture to the next varies and I do not believe the Cx-20 uses FrSky RF. The above module would probably cover the the CX-20.

But again, you need someone with CX-20 knowledge to jump in to tell you exactly how to even get the CX-20 to be controlled by the QX7.
This is really the most important first step!
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
Dean
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Searching around I found this setup for the iRange model listed in my post above for a CX-10. My guess is that the same would be used for the CX-20.
"
CH1 Aileron
CH2 Elevator
CH3 Throttle
CH4 Rudder
CH5 Switch A (2-position)
CH6 Switch B (3-position)
CH7 Aux 1
CH8 Aux 2
I'm guessing that CH7 and CH8 would be used for pan and tilt.
"
But it does not say what values going out on the channel put the Xc-10 into which modes.
If this can be taken at face value (and the poster is one who is very knowledgeable.)
the mixes on the MIXER page could be
Mixer
Ch5 SF (weight(100%) to act as a Cheerson Switch A
Ch6 SD (weight(100%) to act as a Cheerson Switch B
Attachments
CX-20.png
Dean
HyperHelis

Post by HyperHelis »

I'm actually using an x8r rx in the machine. I no longer want to use the stock tx. I am looking into the spektrum module for that fancy E-flite cessna though. What I am wanting to use is the SF 2 pos switch and SB 3 pos switch. I'll try to explain it using opentx terms. Bare with me please.

Sf up Manual Mode Sb up
Sf up Gps Mode Sb ---
Sf down Headless Mode Sb ---
Sf down Altitude Hold Sb down
Sf up Return To Home Sb down

Is this better? I was reading about the logical switches and wondering if that is what I was missing.

HyperHelis

Post by HyperHelis »

rdeanchurch wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 pm Searching around I found this setup for the iRange model listed in my post above for a CX-10. My guess is that the same would be used for the CX-20.
"
CH1 Aileron
CH2 Elevator
CH3 Throttle
CH4 Rudder
CH5 Switch A (2-position)
CH6 Switch B (3-position)
CH7 Aux 1
CH8 Aux 2
I'm guessing that CH7 and CH8 would be used for pan and tilt.
"
But it does not say what values going out on the channel put the Xc-10 into which modes.
If this can be taken at face value (and the poster is one who is very knowledgeable.)
the mixes on the MIXER page could be
Mixer
Ch5 SF (weight(100%) to act as a Cheerson Switch A
Ch6 SD (weight(100%) to act as a Cheerson Switch B
Thanks for digging that up. I did see that irangex module the other day. Not a bad deal. I wonder what the range is like. I do have my eye on the spektrum dsm2 module.
HyperHelis

Post by HyperHelis »

This is a picture from the manual. I just want to learn how to set these type of flight modes up in the tx. How to do the proper mixes and such so that I can make them on my own. Seems like it should be a simple task but I just can't grasp the concept.

https://des.gbtcdn.com/uploads/2014/201 ... 298275.jpg
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

To understand how the system works I recommend going thru this site
http://rcdiy.ca/opentx-guide/

With the X8R the channel assignments are up to you for thr, ail, rud, elv.
but using either Spektrum/JR or Futaba are common, taer or aetr.
Then plug the cx-20 tear into the correct channel number for your choice.

Unless the CX-20 uses SBUS.....yes or no?
If SBUS then you must use what the CX-20 used for channel order.

But the mixes I showed for Ch5 and 6 should be the same. just change Ch6 to
Ch6 SB (weight(100%) to act as a Cheerson Switch B

But be warned that Either or both channels 5 and 6 may need to be reversed to get the correct modes.
Reversing is best done in OUTPUTS. (but probably they are in the correct order as is.)

The iRange module above is what I use for SPEK/JR BNF stuff. It will handle either DSM2 or DSMX.
I can fly until I lose orientation with it on a 2meter motor glider*.
But it requires Futaba channel order for input.
* (of course that is not saying too much, 80+ year old eyes ain't that great .... whats that you say, speak louder! ;-)
Dean
HyperHelis

Post by HyperHelis »

THANK YOU!! Among all of the other things that I know i'm over thinking I forgot to look at the opentx guide. I think i'm going to quit for the night before I blow a fuse and let the smoke out of my head. Still love this tx though! I'm going to try out that cx-10 setup tomorrow.

Using conventional channles on the x8r
HyperHelis

Post by HyperHelis »

Got it! All 6 flight modes through a 2 position switch and a 3 position switch. It was mainly logical switches in which I was having a hard time understanding. Now I've got it! Thank you guy's for helping me out :)

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”