LGV20 + Taranis = No Go (Resolved!)

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
XTnepO

LGV20 + Taranis = No Go (Resolved!)

Post by XTnepO »

Hello, new to the forums but not to RC. Recently purchased a used Taranis X9D Plus that I'm trying to use with my LGV20 (uses USB-C connectivity and not mico USB) to play some drone sims. You may wonder why I've posted this here and not in an Android forum but please read below to understand why I think this might be TX related.

Details are:

-Taranis X9D plus. I've flashed the latest firmware 2.2 and bootloader firmware as well. I have been using the TX with simulators on my PC without issue.

-I plug in the TX to my LGV20 using a true OTG USB-C cable (in other words, not a mico USB with a USB-C adaptor plugged on the end) I then run Hotprops or Freerider. I go to the menu setting within each game and attempt to calibrate the TX but the V20 doesn't appear to recognize the TX as a game controller. I can view and transfer files to and from the Taranis SD card with no issues while its plugged into my V20. While the TX is plugged into the V20, I see the following symbol on the TX screen:

I'm not familiar with that symbol. It appears that the V20 is powering the TX because when I turn the power switch on the Taranis off, the screen stays on and I can see that the sticks and trim tabs still respond to inputs via the LCD screen. Once I unplug the USB (power switch still in the off position) then the TX shuts off.

Yes, the V20 has a menu that pops up when the OTG cable is used. No matter what other setting I use on the phone, the TX acts the same in that there is no response within the sims. Yes, USB debugging is turned on.

I've read two confusing statements online. One is that the LGV20 does NOT SUPPORT USB HOST while the other claims the opposite. I downloaded an app by Chainfire to test my devices' (Tmoble variant) capabilities and it's interesting:

Here is the reason why I'm posting this here and not an Android forum: When I plug in my PS4 controller to my V20 using the same OTG cable, both previously mentioned sims recognize the controller and I'm able to use it in the game. Regardless of how you read the above posted test results, the V20, in theroy, will either recognize external controllers or it won't.

I'm hoping there is something within the Taranis settings that I'm overlooking. I really want to use the TX with my V20.
Last edited by XTnepO on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilrah

Re: LGV20 + Taranis = No Go

Post by Kilrah »

XTnepO wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:04 pm I can view and transfer files to and from the Taranis SD card with no issues while its plugged into my V20.
Sounds like you're using Taranis firmware with the "massstorage" option enabled. That removes the joystick functionality to replace it with SD access.
XTnepO

Post by XTnepO »

Kilrah wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:25 am
XTnepO wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:04 pm I can view and transfer files to and from the Taranis SD card with no issues while its plugged into my V20.
Sounds like you're using Taranis firmware with the "massstorage" option enabled. That removes the joystick functionality to replace it with SD access.
This is correct, I am run running the "masstorage" option with my firmware. I was/am not aware of that fact so I'll disable it and report back. So much still to learn about ths radio.
XTnepO

Post by XTnepO »

Kilrah wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:25 am

Just reporting back, Kilrah was correct. As soon as I disabled "masstorage" via companion I am now able to use my Taranis as a controller on my V20. I simply had no idea this is how it works on the Taranis nor would have anyone on an Android forum. If you're experiencing the the same issue while using an Android device, this is one thing to keep in mind. Thanks a lot for the quick diagnosis!!!!

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”