Taranis X9E reliability concern.

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
Pax1601

Taranis X9E reliability concern.

Post by Pax1601 »

Hello everyone,

I got my dad's a new radio, and I went for a Taranis X9E as he likes the tray format. At first, he was a bit skeptical, as he "grew up" with German and Japanese radios, and was afraid the build quality would be poor. Yesterday the radio arrived, and we both like it very much, feels nice and looks awesome.

The problem is, while we where testing it, we noticed that one of the trim switches was only functioning in one direction. I opened the radio and discovered the the related connection was defective, one of the female pins being pushed out of the connector itself, not making contact. The fix was instantaneous, with the help of a small screwdriver I pused the connector on the male pin, and everything works now. Needless to say, however, that this incident fueled my dad's skepticism, and I can't blame him. "With a Japanese radio this would have never happenend", he said.

What is your experience, reliability wise, with these Taranis radios? A trim switch fault is not critical but clearly if the same happens with a stick potentiometer or similar, or if the RF hardware fails, you may lose the airplane, and I would feel terribly guilty if that happened to my father's models. Can you give me your impressions, so that, hopefully, I can also reassure him regarding the quality of the critical hardware of the radio?

Cheers,

Davide

Carbo

Re: Taranis X9E reliability concern.

Post by Carbo »

The Taranis X9E is a very good radio. I own one of the first and still love it.

But keep an eye on the gimbal wires. The newer wires are silicon isolated and much thinner and more flexible. If your X9E has the old type, change it against the silicone wires. There is a risk of malfunction.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... st36903801

gimbal_cables.png
Pax1601

Post by Pax1601 »

Thank you for your kind answer!

Just to be sure, the "good" cables are the twisted one on the bottom of the image?

Cheers,

Davide
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

The cables are normally both twisted. I untwisted mine, to make it more flexble. When you hold the cable on one end horizontal, and it stays horizontal, it is the old one. If it points to ground, it is the new one.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”