X9E won't power back on after update

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
geoffwithaj

X9E won't power back on after update

Post by geoffwithaj »

Well, this hasn't gone well. I updated the firmware in my X9E, copied the bin to the SD card (as some video tutorial told me to) and everything seemed to go fine. After disconnecting the usb I restarted the radio from the menu as normal. Now, the power button just does nothing. No regular boot, no bootloader.
I haven't been able to get windows to recognise the powered off transmitter in order to remove the file from the SD card.
I've tried removing the card, but no luck.

Panicking slightly. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: X9E won't power back on after update

Post by MikeB »

With the radio powered off, if you connect the USB to the PC, does the PC respond at all?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

I had the same issue. I had to disconnect the battery for some seconds, then the radio responded again powered off.
geoffwithaj

Post by geoffwithaj »

Mike, it didn't​ respond with the power off when connected to usb.

Carbon, as fate would have it I tried to pop out the SD card and pop it back in and it missed the socket and fell inside the tx. This meant I had to take the back off to retrieve it. While I was in there I disconnected the battery and held the power button down for a while. Sure enough I was able to get into the bootloader afterward. Regular boot still didn't work.
I still can't flash it straight from the companion​, I have to just put the file on the SD and flash it from the bootloader. I works like a charm now!

Carbo

Post by Carbo »

geoffwithaj wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:06 pmI still can't flash it straight from the companion​, I have to just put the file on the SD and flash it from the bootloader. I works like a charm now!
If you want to flash the radio powered on (bootloader mode) with Companion, Windows (you use win?) uses standard drivers. Presumably you installed a driver with Zadig to get your radio working again. Delete this driver and let Windows use it's own again.

geoffwithaj

Post by geoffwithaj »

I didn't use zadig, or at least I couldn't get it to cooperate.

Drushgavnush

Post by Drushgavnush »

I just read the ,I dropped the sd card inside ,when retrieving it unplugged the battery held down the on button for a while then plugged it back in and now I get the bootloader screen ,phew me also ,yey I thought I'd killed it for good ,now I'm going to follow the instructions a very helpful member on here gave me too the letter and hopefully I'll get her up and running again ! I can hardly believe we both suffered the same probs,I bricked her trying to upgrade ,then killed it completely or so I thought till I read this ,Thank you ,Thank you ( how uncanny or stupid ,I to lost sd card in the device but didn't do the battery bit till I read this ) Numpties unite ! bless for posting this .big up for your helpful members ,my favourite resource for taranis mods ,Bless!
dblaby

Post by dblaby »

Hi, I just tried flashing my x9e and got a message that firmware not compatible. I had to reinstall companion onto my Mac as I had to rebuild it. Installed it, opened my eepe file, did some tweaks and when hit "write to radio" I got firmware incompatible message. After much reading and fooling around, now it will not do a 3 finger salute for usb mode. I have tried flashing direct from the SD card, nothing happens. Did a factory reset and can turn on the radio, calibrate sticks etc. but it will not read the eepe file, nor will it update, or power up in the 3 finger salute mode. HELP??

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”