Taranis custom autonomous control

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
gnawzie

Taranis custom autonomous control

Post by gnawzie »

Hello, this is my first post here.

I'm curious whether it's possible to either connect my 3dr telemetry radio clone into either the module bay or the uart in the battery enclosure, or piggybacking data through the transmitter's own telemetry and write a LUA script to allow bidirectional communication between the flight controller/companion computer(raspberry pi) and have functions available on the transmitter such as ultrasonic sonar data from sensors placed on the arms, maybe a radar like image. Also the possibility of entering gps coordinates or (probably reaching pretty far, a phone could do far better for this) have a low res gps map visible on the display, just for recording tracks and marking areas of interest, or allowing semi autonomous modes where the controls can set the flight vector instead of direct control like a cruise control. At the very least it should be possible to simply connect the transmitter via usb to a raspberry pi or other small cheap computer and treat it as a joystick while the small computer translates it to whatever you want to send off via a radio in another usb port. How feasible is this?

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis custom autonomous control

Post by MikeB »

gnawzie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 amAt the very least it should be possible to simply connect the transmitter via usb to a raspberry pi or other small cheap computer and treat it as a joystick while the small computer translates it to whatever you want to send off via a radio in another usb port.
When running (as long as you have selected the correct build option in openTx, or are using ersky9x), then the radio already acts as a USB joystick.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”