how to get 8 channels sbus and 9 to 16 ppm on x8r

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
wolffer0

how to get 8 channels sbus and 9 to 16 ppm on x8r

Post by wolffer0 »

I want to use sbus 1 through 8 and ppm 9 through 16 on an x8r and a taranis plus. It's possible but there is some sort of bad firmware I have to update. Any help here would be great. I think there is a video for this one but I lost it looking for other things on my taranis plus. Thx in advance. Sorry about all the posts asking questions but the taranis and the taranis plus are way different and the how to videos for the taranis is useless to me because I thought the plus was better.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: how to get 8 channels sbus and 9 to 16 ppm on x8r

Post by MikeB »

The Taranis and Taranis plus have very few actual differencies. Any difference you are seeing is almost certainly due to different firmware versions. The Taranis ships with a much older version of firmware.

Download the manual of the X8R, it shows how to fit a link while binding to change the outputs to channels 9-16. The SBUS always outputs all 16 channels. I don't think you need to update any firmware.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
wolffer0

Post by wolffer0 »

I binder it with the jumpers like in the manual and the cppm converter worked in my gui but the servo I stuck on 9 didn't. I switched to D 16 and 9 servo worked but not 1 through 8 on the s bus. Switched back and forth but can't male both work at the same time. Want 9 and above for head tracking in the near future is why I need something like this.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Did you re bind after changing to D16?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
wolffer0

Post by wolffer0 »

I will try again. I rebound it a few times but it seemed not to work. I rebound it in D 16 first and that's when I could only get 9 to work. Nothing on the first 8. Then I switched it to D 8 and I lost 9 but gained the first 8 without rebinding. Tomorrow I will try again.

wolffer0

Post by wolffer0 »

I tried again to do this. Green light is on steady, and I bound it in D 16 with channels 1to 16. My servo in 9 works but nothing for values in 1 to 8 in mission planner. I put the channel range from CH1 TO 16, to CH 1 TO 8 and my gui says I have full control of 1 to 8 but my servo in 9 stops working. Yesterday 1 to 8 stopped working when I powered up my quad but at lunch it worked. Do I have demons? I tried this many times now. I didn't get a morning flight and the afternoon worked without any setting changes. Yes in the morning I unplugged and turned the taranis off and on looking stupid because my quad wouldn't fly at work. Any sugestions?
wolffer0

Post by wolffer0 »

I am running version opentx-x9dp-v2.0.9
arizona98tj

Post by arizona98tj »

wolffer0 wrote:I tried again to do this. Green light is on steady, and I bound it in D 16 with channels 1to 16. My servo in 9 works but nothing for values in 1 to 8 in mission planner. I put the channel range from CH1 TO 16, to CH 1 TO 8 and my gui says I have full control of 1 to 8 but my servo in 9 stops working. Yesterday 1 to 8 stopped working when I powered up my quad but at lunch it worked. Do I have demons? I tried this many times now. I didn't get a morning flight and the afternoon worked without any setting changes. Yes in the morning I unplugged and turned the taranis off and on looking stupid because my quad wouldn't fly at work. Any sugestions?
What flight control board are you using with Mission Planner? If it is an APM 2.x board, they do not "speak" SBUS without the 32u2 PPM encoder being updated to handle SBUS. I run a APM 2.5.2 Arduflyer with SBUS. Channels 1-8 are on SBUS and 9-16 appear on the output pins on the X8R. If you are using a PixHawk type FC board, use the RC pins for your SBUS input to the board. The pins on the board labeled SBUS are outputs.
ninja01

Post by ninja01 »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I recently did a X525 build using Naze32 and FrSky Taranis Plus. I am having the same issue the OP had. Was this ever resolved? My setup has behaved EXACTLY as he described. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can either fly dark or look at it lit up on the ground. :cry: :cry:

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”