Taranis Drive not Available on Windows 10?

Hardware help and support for the FrSky Taranis
LesZedCB

Taranis Drive not Available on Windows 10?

Post by LesZedCB »

Hi,

I have bee trying to connect my Taranis to Windows 10 since I upgraded a week ago unsuccessfully. I have been able to successfully connect, flash the firmware, and view the SD card drives on ubuntu 14.04. However, on Windows 10, in bootloader mode, it connects one out of three times, and the drives have never shown up. I can't flash either. I've seen Kilrah is able to get the Taranis connected with Windows 10, so I'm not sure what is different about my scenario. I've upgraded to OpenTX 2.1.1. If anybody has tips on how to diagnose this issue, it would be really helpful. I have tried every solution I can think of with no luck! :( Thanks!

deaconFlyer

Re: Taranis Drive not Available on Windows 10?

Post by deaconFlyer »

I experienced no problems at all. Not a glitch.

That said, I updated a ton of drivers. Many were specific to my laptop.

Start here: http://www.windows10update.com/windows-10-drivers/
OctavioS

Post by OctavioS »

I already flashed my taranis and 9xr pro in windows 10, no problems at all.
2x - Turnigy 9X with 9xtreme board;
2x - Turnigy 9XRpro ;
Frsky Taranis & Taranis +;
Horus x10s;
Horus x12s;
Radiomaster TX16S Max mark II.
LesZedCB

Post by LesZedCB »

Ok, thanks! I think the problem may have been the cable? I switched it out and made sure I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for each connection mode. It still will drop every now and then when it is in joystick mode, which is annoying, but not a deal breaker. I still don't see the drives show up when I connect it in bootloader mode, but I do all my editing on the device anyway, plus I can connect with Linux. The cable problem might be compounded by a potentially loose USB connector in the back? Maybe I'll open it up and check that the connection is solid. Annoying that it likely came down to a hardware problem... :/ Thanks for the comments!
dlondon

Post by dlondon »

Hi,

Maybe a bit late but I had the same issue. Considering you say it works under Linux I'd say there is nothing wrong with the USB cable.

First thing I checked in Windows 10 was Device Manager to make sure that with the Taranis OFF and connected, the device displays in Device Manager (Settings > Devices > Connected Devices > Device Manager). Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers I did not have Universal Serial Bus Devices > STM32 Bootloader. I should say that I had already installed the new version of Companion (2.1.6) and I think that was a mistake.

The standard advice when the STM32 Bootloader doesn't display with the Taranis OFF and connected is to run zadig (see instructions http://open-txu.org/home/undergraduate- ... ing-zadig/)

Ok - so did that - all good in terms of STM Bootloader in Device Manager when connected and OFF. But when I disconnect and hold the 2 horizontal trim tabs towards the power switch while turning on and then connect the USB cable - no drives are detected. I note that the device changed to FrSky Taranis Bootloader. Long story short. I uninstalled Companion AND in Device Manager with the Taranis connected and ON as at the start of this paragraph I right clicked the device (FrSky Taranis Bootloader) and chose to uninstall the driver and remove all the files.

I then:
1) disconnected the Taranis and turned it OFF
2) connected to the pc with it OFF
3) Re-ran ZADIG and made sure I had the STM32 Bootloader - I reinstalled it
4) I then Installed Companion

Now when I turn on the Taranis holding the two horizontal trim tabs toward the power switch whilst disconnected, the plug the USB cable to the pc I get the 2 SD card drives showing up in Windows Explorer. Also when it's connected in this way the device displays in Device Manager as USB Mass Storage Device.

Hope that rambling explanation helps

Regards,

David

Dingo24

Post by Dingo24 »

HI,

I am having the same problem with a news windows 10 machine and a taranis x9d plus. I've followed the steps above but the PC will recognise the two taranis drives for 2 second then they'll disappear or get a question mark then disappear. The stloader32 device does not appear in device manager, and after while After a while I get an error in a "USB Mass Storage Device' in device manager. I've tred updating that driver without success.

The taranis and cable work fine on a windows 7 machine.

Cheers,

Dingo
scwied17

Post by scwied17 »

Has anyone found a fix for this? I'm having the exact same issues as you are.
jlummel

Post by jlummel »

Check the Class of your SD card (usually a tiny 'C' with a number in it, or if it's a tiny 'U' with a number in it then it's a UHS card which is a Class 10 or above). If there is no Class or UHS # on the card then it's a Class 2 card, the slowest. The SD card that came with the original Taranis was a Class 2 card (at least mine was), Horus doesn't come with a card.

I've had trouble with both the Horus and the Taranis trying to use too slow of a SD card with the radio (< Class 4). The lower speed card may work in the radio, but the USB symptoms described above are very similar to what I experienced before I upgraded to a faster SD card and eliminated the problem.

Give that a try and see if it works for you, would love to hear back.
BadRaven

Post by BadRaven »

Have been using Taranis (and Horus) with various Sims on a PC which came with Windows 10.

However, both now do not work, and I suspect a recent Windows Update.

The Taranis shows the USB symbol, the PC beeps accordingly, but nothing appears as a device and Sims are not controlled.

The Horus appears in he USB list as a device (which is stated as working) yet again does not now connect to any Sims.

Since the Tx have not altered, nor the SD's, nor the leads (several tried), I'm assuming its a problem poss around STM Bootloader, but am struggling to find the info needed to set Zadig up.

Help Please?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Appears as what device? Make sure you haven't flashed a firmware with the massstorage option enabled.

STM bootloader is NOT used when the radio is on.
jlummel

Post by jlummel »

Kilrah wrote:STM bootloader is NOT used when the radio is on.
That was one of the symptoms I experienced with the slow SD card, it would automagicly shut off the radio when plugged into a USB port which then loads the STM Bootloader driver in Windows 10 (because the radio is now off).

And as I pointed out before, a slow SD card may work with the radio (and may have worked with earlier versions of Windows), but for whatever reason Windows 10 doesn't like it when connecting via USB. So check your card, and if the card is Class 4 or above it likely isn't the problem.

If it's not a Class 4 or higher, pull it out of the radio and see if the USB works now. If it does, you've just isolated the problem and will need to get a faster card to fix it.

Return to “FrSky Taranis radio”