New FrSkyhas a funky smell when first turned on is this normal?

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Randy2747

New FrSkyhas a funky smell when first turned on is this normal?

Post by Randy2747 »

I just received my taranis x9d+ turned it on and it has a very light smell of wires or wires burnt. It's nothing really bad but I did notice it. Is this normal with a new taranis transmitter? The manual said to use a ohm meter and check voltage of the battery and make sure it matches the digital screen on front... have you done this? I was completely surprised when I read that because I've never gotten electronic equipment to tell me to check it to make sure it was okay.

Thx Randy

kalle123

Re: New FrSkyhas a funky smell when first turned on is this normal?

Post by kalle123 »

1. Remove the battery from the battery bay and have a look inside.

2. A good reason to get yourself a digital voltage meter. Comes handy.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Or maybe contact the person that sold it to you.. Perhaps he offers to replace it..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Randy2747 wrote:The manual said to use a ohm meter and check voltage of the battery and make sure it matches the digital screen on front... have you done this?
I was completely surprised when I read that because I've never gotten electronic equipment to tell me to check it to make sure it was okay.
Thx Randy
Because you can use different batteries with different voltages, this procedure is to calibrate your real Battery Voltage
to what your Taranis is reporting (the battery voltage normally needs to be calibrated to 9x radios).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Randy2747 wrote:I just received my taranis x9d+ turned it on and it has a very light smell of wires or wires burnt.
It's nothing really bad but I did notice it.
Thx Randy
Is your new Taranis Plus working OK ? :?:
Like kalle123 suggest you can open it up and visually check to see if anything has burned too.
Or like João suggest, check with who you purchased your Taranis from (warranty).

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Randy2747

Post by Randy2747 »

Sorry I didnt reply my emails was going to junk folder

My Taranis is working and I have been using simulators with it each day most of the smell has gone and its really faint now.

But I was just going to add music to the SD card. I hooked it to laptop by sliding both switches to center and turning on transmitter,then connect USB to laptop. I had two drives one said taranis and other showed as drive G. I opened drive G and I had nothing there after several minutes both drives disappeared and now my laptop doesn't recognize it . Windows asked to scan and fix issues and it reformatted my SD card. Now what should I do?
I have another 16 gig card should I use it?
Is it because I have not updated the firmware since I got this? I am running 2.1.6

thx Randy
Last edited by Randy2747 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy2747

Post by Randy2747 »

kalle123 wrote:1. Remove the battery from the battery bay and have a look inside.

2. A good reason to get yourself a digital voltage meter. Comes handy.
I opened up the transmitter and everything looks good and nothing looks burnt. Its just strange I have a smell coming from it and its a lot less now and very faint,maybe its just because it new......hmm I dunno but guess I will find out in time.

I have a ohm meter and the battery reads that it has 8.18 v coming from the battery and my screen on taranis reads 8.1 volts (on top left corner beside battery level) and page 7 battery calibration reads 8.1

thx for the reply, Randy

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”