E-flite Convergence

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
JohnWay

E-flite Convergence

Postby JohnWay » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi there,

Anyone successfully set-up and used their FrSky Taranis radio with this new VTOL craft ? I would be very interested to know how.

Regards,
John.

Kilrah

Re: E-flite Convergence

Postby Kilrah » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Daedalus66

E-flite Convergence

Postby Daedalus66 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:41 pm

JohnWay wrote:Hi there,

Anyone successfully set-up and used their FrSky Taranis radio with this new VTOL craft ? I would be very interested to know how.

Regards,
John.

Several on the RCGroups Convergence VTOL forum are using FrSky equipment with the PNP version. All reports I've seen are positive (at least as far as the radio is concerned).

The basic programming required is very simple and easy to do in OpenTX. Just set up two-position switch on channels 5 and 6 to control the modes. Also reduce limits to 80% for compatibility with Spektrum.

The link above has ideas for improving the functioning.

JohnWay

Postby JohnWay » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:31 pm

Yes it seems there are successful Taranis users out there on this VTOL model. On a basic level, I would like to know if FrSky receivers can be used with the Convergence PNP version or is it necessary to use an Orange DSMX module in the Taranis with a compatible DSMX receiver? Horizon state ANY radio & receiver can be used so has anyone hooked up their FrSky gear to the e-flite Flight Controller and flown with it :?:

mmilan

Postby mmilan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:39 pm

I gave up trying to get the BNF version to bind to any of my dsmx, dsm2 or orange multi. I removed the Spectrum Rx replaced it with a X8R Rx. I used pwm jumpers to the FC. It works well. Guess I wasted the extra money for the BNF (Spectrum Rx). Actually Santa wasted his money. I did not tell my wife about that.

Daedalus66

E-flite Convergence

Postby Daedalus66 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:27 pm

JohnWay wrote:Yes it seems there are successful Taranis users out there on this VTOL model. On a basic level, I would like to know if FrSky receivers can be used with the Convergence PNP version or is it necessary to use an Orange DSMX module in the Taranis with a compatible DSMX receiver? Horizon state ANY radio & receiver can be used so has anyone hooked up their FrSky gear to the e-flite Flight Controller and flown with it :?:

Yes, several people use FrSky receivers with a Taranis in the Convergence. There's nothing special about the setup.

There are lots of known incompatibilities between Orange modules and certain Spektrum and other receivers. Some of the modules don't work with UMX models, for example. In this case, the problem is the serial receiver used in the Convergence BNF. But it doesn't work with a genuine Spektrum DSM2 transmitter either.

JohnWay

Postby JohnWay » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 pm

So if I have got this right and buy the Convergence PNP version, I can use my Taranis Plus tx as is (no additional modules req'd), connect pwm jumpers between the e-flite FC and my V8FR-11 rx, bind, program the model & the set up on the tx, test, and go fly !!! ???? Sounds too good to be true, but I am willing to give it a go. Confirmations and any guidance most welcome.

Daedalus66

E-flite Convergence

Postby Daedalus66 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:29 pm

All you are doing is substitute an FrSky transmitter and receiver for the usual Spektrum components. Make sure you use TAER channel order.

Set limits for channels 1-6 at 80% to match Spektrum throws.

Program channel 5 to give 100 (back) and -100 (forward) on the SF switch. This is stabilization mode.

Program channel 6 to give 100 in the up position on a suitable switch and -100 on the mid and down positions. This is MR vs AP flight.

Set up D/R and expo as usual.

This gets you the basics. Take a look at the link provided by Kilrah for more advanced ideas.

JohnWay

Postby JohnWay » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:14 pm

Nearly there but, before ordering the PNP version, can anyone confirm any extra hardware req'd to complete the convergence please? e.g EC3 connectors, jumper leads etc. Many thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

Daedalus66

Postby Daedalus66 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:19 am

Strong, new batteries.

If you look at the thread on RCGroups you'll see this addressed again and again. This is a model for high C batteries in excellent condition. Some find 30C is enough but many are using 40c and more.

JohnWay

Postby JohnWay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:02 pm

40C+ holy moly!! - what is the max. current drain of this VTOL? I am putting in a low voltage alarm for sure !! Before buying yet more LiPo's I intend using my existing 2200mah 3S 20-30C packs for testing/early flights. I note that the specs. say 2200 - 3000mah 3s but what is the battery compartment size, anyone ???

JohnWay

Postby JohnWay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:05 pm

BTW last question asked as I expect reply/replies way before my Convergence actually arrives !! Thanks & Regards. John.

Daedalus66

E-flite Convergence

Postby Daedalus66 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:08 am

JohnWay wrote:40C+ holy moly!! - what is the max. current drain of this VTOL? I am putting in a low voltage alarm for sure !! Before buying yet more LiPo's I intend using my existing 2200mah 3S 20-30C packs for testing/early flights. I note that the specs. say 2200 - 3000mah 3s but what is the battery compartment size, anyone ???

About 35A during transition to AP (Air Plane) flight.

Be aware that when the voltage under load gets low, the machine automatically goes into MR stability mode and must be landed within 60 seconds. Lots of reports of crashes caused by people who try to keep flying in MR mode at that point.

This can happen within a few seconds with weak batteries. It's not safe to test unless you are reasonable confident of your batteries.

Note that a 2200 20C battery is only rated at 44A at the best of times, and these ratings are notoriously unreliable. An older one may have trouble sustaining half its rating. From the reports, I would consider a decent 25C the minimum for this model.

For more detail, see the Convergence VTOL thread on RCGroups.

JohnWay

Postby JohnWay » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Hopefully I am playing it safe and have 2 new 2200mah 3S 40C LiPo's on order, as well as an on-board low voltage alarm. Looking forward to the ordered PNP version arriving at my home later this month (finger's crossed). While waiting, setting up/play time with the Taranis & VTOL instruction manual !!.

Daedalus66

Postby Daedalus66 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:04 pm

It seems that a low voltage alarm is not helpful in AP flight as the built-in low voltage detection which causes the model to go into MR/Stability mode triggers first. But for just hovering in MR it could be useful.

In principle, of course, you should never hear the alarm because you are religiously keeping track of time. You are, aren't you? :)

JohnWay

Postby JohnWay » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:17 pm

One of the beauties of the Taranis is the audible timer countdowns and alarms so yes, tracking time is not a problem. I am not expecting to rely too heavily on the cheap Chinese low voltage alarms - they just seemed a good idea when I was watching a youtube video. They will come in handy on some of my other models though. Thanks for your interesting replies. All the best, John.

Daedalus66

Postby Daedalus66 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Best of success.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”